New ICE powered Rotel power amps - true high-end turnover or...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zoran
    • Apr 2005

New ICE powered Rotel power amps - true high-end turnover or...

Well, I've just passed the registration procedure, joining this nice community. Hoping will share a lots of thoughts/ideas relating this, IMO one of the noblest hobbies today.

I saw rumours related to incoming new Rotel line. I am not convinced D classe of operating, ICE power modules and so... should be the right direction of developing HI FI amplification in future. Technically speaking, it is easy to detect some advantages (numbers, curves, diagrams...) over classical analog designs, but sonicaly - I am reserved.
    Heard from people owners of Rowland 201 digital amps that sound seems to be cold, lean, distant, somehow strange to typical audiophile's ear...
    I am disturbed by its size (not larger than student's dictionary book!) and look which is everything but impressive. No amp bellow 35 lbs - only "ampish" toys, IMO.

Considering incoming discontinuation of best-buy analog amps such as the RB-1080 and RB-1090 as possible end of the best Rotel's days, I am prone to perceive their worth as bigger each day... Someone might say in future "...legendary RB 10 Series - last Mohicans of true audio from Rotel..."

I own the RB-1080, but in this situation bigger RB-1090 might become target amp for me. Simply, agree or not agree, Series 10 amps might become legends...

Appologise for my awful English.
    Last edited by Zoran; 10 April 2005, 19:32 Sunday.
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

Not to worry Zoran

No worries good sir,

The 7 X 100 Rotel (Ice) is a specific amplifier to solve some specific problems.

2 RU (Rack Space
    Low heat (Virtually Zero heat)
    Good value per channel

And, many people really enjoy the sound of digital amplifiers, super low noise floor.

It's not a replacement for anything in the line it is simply a technology that Rotel finds fascinating and so they developed a module for it.

You might even enjoy listening to one (perhaps)... I believe they are making a 1 x 500 and a 2 x 500 to go along with the 7 x 100...

No worries
    -Andrew

Comment

• NewBuyer
      • Feb 2005

Will the ICE amplifier be able to handle 4-ohm speaker loads?

Comment

• Zoran
        • Apr 2005

Can't see any reason why not? Capability of driving heavier speaker loads is not the issue with digital amps - anticipated sonical balance is the point. I am pesimist there.

Comment

• rnoble
          • Sep 2004

I have heard my friends fine system running a RCD1072 with a crown K1 (all digital) amp compare to a 1090. The crown ate it to bits, there was more definition, detail, better imaging and the bass was not lean but a lot more detailed and tighter and had much more control (it was actually louder).

The rotels aren't full digital YET arethey? They're only a digital PSU at this stage? Class D?

Don't forget another full digital amp - Halcro. And also remember what people are
          saying about the XR45 panasonic digital amps.

I personally am very excited about where we are going with amplification and hope that Rotel comes out with full digital sooner over later. To me it's a win/win, your analogue amp will fetch a good price if it's the end of an era and you want to sell and your new digital amp will sound fantastic.

Comment

• Stevebez
            • Oct 2003

I am going to miss those big bad heavy transformers...

Something like a good old V8 ... everyone going fuel efficient multivalve hyper engine management 1600cc turbo charged stuff...

Give me the big block any day ... gosh think I am showing my age now.

One day we will all be made up of zero and 1's ....

Rgds Steve.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"