• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisg
    • Sep 2004

Recommendation for speaker line for HT

1) budget is $3k-$4k for speakers.
    2) I'd like to have a subwoofer that can reproduce the very low end well
    3) most likely setup is center channel under screen, two tall (and skinny) mains to the sides, and both side and rear surrounds up pretty high on the wall. Best place logistically for the subwoofer would be up front.
    4) use is likely to be about 99% movies/tv. I listen to music in a different room.
    5) it would be nice if the center spkr could be mounted on the wall directly beneath the screen, but if not practical it can be out in front a bit on a stand.
    6) purchasable at a good price on the internet. I buy approximately everything that way, so if a manufacturer forbids internet sales, and actually manages to make it stick, they don't want my business or that of ppl like me. For this to work, I also have to be able to find reviews, pictures, specs, etc on the net.
    7) A good center. A lot of speaker lines seem to have a lot less $ going into the center speaker than the mains, which doesn't make that much sense
    for a movie-centered system.
    8) I think I want non-direct radiators for the surrounds, because of the positioning (pretty close to the seats). But I could be convinced otherwise.
  • PiDD
    • Aug 2003

Chris take a look at www.av123.com. I pickeup up Rocket package #0 for direct rears but I have heard (and liked) the non-direct as well in package #2. For a sub look at www.svsubwoofers.com both offer very good product and customer service.

Comment

• dave
      • Aug 2003

Also check out www.audiogon.com for high end gear at very good prices!!!
      thats where I purchased my Vandersteens, My Alpha/Delta Transport/D/A
      converter combo and my VTL Linestage all at great prices and excellent working order. Check out www.audioreview for helpful reviews on a massive
      amount of various product lines!!!

Have Fun!!!
      Dave...

Comment

• chrisg
        • Sep 2004

Thank you for the tips. Are the rocket speakers from av123 well-liked? I did get a price quote and it was nice and the saleperson very helpful.

Originally posted by dave
        Also check out www.audiogon.com for high end gear at very good prices!!!
        thats where I purchased my Vandersteens, My Alpha/Delta Transport/D/A
        converter combo and my VTL Linestage all at great prices and excellent working order. Check out www.audioreview for helpful reviews on a massive
        amount of various product lines!!!

Have Fun!!!

Comment

• PiDD
          • Aug 2003

I know a couple guys with them and we all like them. They sales guys at AV123 are real nice folks and if you read the forum on their site you will get cavities for sure.

I wish there was a good forum that I could point you to. The AV123 forum will be one sided and the AVSforum just got sick of all the posts and so they just delete them at will!

I can say that I tried a few speakers out and it came down to B&W's 804's and the Rocket 750's. I have to say that I liked the 804's a bit more but they were triple the price... my decision was made easy.

There are a lot of Rocket owners now, maybe you can setup an audition through http://www.audioenvy.com/

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"