X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sasha99
    • Dec 2010

Recommendation for CAV series

Hello all

I am in process of building multichannel setup. As usual I would like to stay with my beloved Classe amplification, but it would be cost prohibitive to match it with my current CAM 600's.
    In order to keep cost down, but still get some decent action on my center and surrounds, I would like to buy some older CAV series, 150, 180, 500.
    Did any of you had a chance to try any of above mentioned and what would bi your recommendation. Please be subjective.

Thanks for your help

Happy listening
    Sasha
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

The models you list are similar for the most part. You may find the CAV-180 and CAV-500 slightly more detailed and transparent than the CAV-150. Like the CA-X01 models, the 180 and 500 employ a bit of the trickle down design concepts from the Omega products (improved gain stage, increased power supply capacity, decoupling of each output transistor with film caps versus ends of the power rail only, etc.).

Comment

• Sasha99
      • Dec 2010

Thanks Glenn, very informative indeed.
      Sasha

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

Only flu in the soup is that the older series don't use same CAN bus system, and no regular 12 v input for remote control. You can make a cable yourself using the RJ11 plug and converting that into a regular 12v mini jack so you can remotely turn on and off the amps. Let me know if you need the diagram for wire - think I still have it somewhere..
        Also be aware that older Classé gear is wider than the newer models. Could be an issue depending on how your setup is..

Sound wise they all have the "clean" Classé sound. Getting smaller multichannel versions and bi-amping the channels may be a cheap way to get good amps. Think CAV-75 and 150 bridged is way cheaper than the bigger models..

Comment

• Sasha99
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aarsoe
          Only flu in the soup is that the older series don't use same CAN bus system, and no regular 12 v input for remote control. You can make a cable yourself using the RJ11 plug and converting that into a regular 12v mini jack so you can remotely turn on and off the amps. Let me know if you need the diagram for wire - think I still have it somewhere..
          Also be aware that older Classé gear is wider than the newer models. Could be an issue depending on how your setup is..

Sound wise they all have the "clean" Classé sound. Getting smaller multichannel versions and bi-amping the channels may be a cheap way to get good amps. Think CAV-75 and 150 bridged is way cheaper than the bigger models..
          Thanks AArsoe
          I bought CA-100 to run my CC in bridged mode, it works well. Although I was surprised to learn that there is no "trigger" feature....there is dongle that was sold by classe, but not available anymore. I checked it directly with them. So, Yes, please send me the drawings for that, if you can find them.
          You are right about the best value in CAV 75 or CAV 150, relatively inexpensive in comparison with bigger or newer multichannel offerings. Multichannel setup becomes increasingly expensive if you are implementing it at the same level of quality like your mains...
          The size is of no issue to my rack - I built an over sized rack by myself, it will accommodate anything out there.
          Again thanks for taking time to reply
          Sasha

Comment

• mkbruce
            • Jan 2015

Service manuals for most Classe products can be found here:

Page 14 of the CA-100 manual has the pin-out of the remote jack. The main difficulty with this input is that it requires a pulse (momentary closure) instead of a steady signal to turn the amp on or off (i.e. a pulse to turn on and a pulse to turn off - just as if you had pushed the button on the front). Xantech makes a small module (599-00) that can be used to create pulses from a continuous output.

I have a CAV-75 that has and is still serving me well as a 3 bridged channels (CC/SR/SL) in a 5.1 system and now as a 6-channel (CC bi-amped/SR/SL/RR/RL) in a 7.1 system with a different CC. Same great Classe sound as it's CA-201 mate in my system (previously SSP-75, now Sigma SSP).

Originally posted by Sasha99
            Thanks AArsoe
            I bought CA-100 to run my CC in bridged mode, it works well. Although I was surprised to learn that there is no "trigger" feature....there is dongle that was sold by classe, but not available anymore. I checked it directly with them. So, Yes, please send me the drawings for that, if you can find them.
            You are right about the best value in CAV 75 or CAV 150, relatively inexpensive in comparison with bigger or newer multichannel offerings. Multichannel setup becomes increasingly expensive if you are implementing it at the same level of quality like your mains...
            The size is of no issue to my rack - I built an over sized rack by myself, it will accommodate anything out there.
            Again thanks for taking time to reply
            Sasha

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

I have a CAV-150. Classe completely serviced it for me about 4-5 years ago. It's quiet and has a very clean sound. I use it to power my center channel and surrounds.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"