X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dettro
    • Nov 2004

Surround Preamp Recommendation

Any recommendation for a surround preamp. I have a HCA-1500A and HCA-1203A and a pair of Soliloquy 5.3 front. Still looking for a center and surround speakers. I'm considering Rotel RSP-1066 and Parasound AVC-2500, but I know you guys have a better idea. Thanks.
  • dermie999
    • Jul 2004

I am unashamedly a Rotel afficianado so I would recommend an RSP 1068 or an RSP 1098. I believe the RSP 1066 is discontinued so unless you can get a really good deal on a used one I would go down the 1068/1098 path. I myself have the 1098 and find it to be superb. It has a really good sound (much better than I was able to achieve with my old 1066) for both HT and music (crisp and clean is how I would describe the sound). Also suggest you couple the pre/pro with a good two channel amp (eg the RB 1080 or 1090) for the front speakers. This improves the listening experience for music. I am about 60% music 40% HT so the 1080 with the RMB 1075 for the cenre and surround channels does me just fine.

Trevor

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Rodel, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

Another pre/pro that's been getting good "press" of late is Parasound's Halo C2. It's a bit more than the Rotel or the AVC, but the jump in quality makes it one to be considered if it fits your budget. Could you give us a bit more info? Things like budget and number of channels (at least) would help us refine our suggestions.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Along with what David said, in the next few days (before the end of the year, apparently for sure) Parasound will be releasing a new pre-amp in their classic line, which would match aesthetically and acoustically with your HCA's.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Sherwood Newcastle P965 is your best bet if you want to stay in the Sub $2k category. It's feature list is unmatched for the money.

List is $1,499. The only thing not mentioned on the site is the new auto ROOM EQ with mic that is now shipping with it or can be shipped via sherwood. Jeff Hipps their USA manager is VERY active on the forums(especially AVS) and has shown that this company is well supported there. The system is upgradeable and has been upgraded already. They are adding more and more features as time goes on.

Exceptionally hard to beat for $1500. If you don't have a Newcastle dealer near you then they will sell you one direct but at full MSRP. Still a bargain. From what it looks like you are not wanting to spend the mega $$$ for a $3k+ processor. The Sherwood seems rather unbeatable below that barrier. SQ is top notch.

As far as center and rears, I'd go with what matches your mains as far as a center goes. Rears can be a bit of a condundrum if you want bipolar/dipolar as Soliloquoy is focused more on monopolar speakers.

If you want more info on the Sherwood, there are a bunch of fairly long threads on another forum that I won't post here out of respect. One of those include a direct comparison vs the Rotel 1066(and maybe a 1068) I didn't verify the 1068 as its been a long long thread to keep up with.

The preamp alone is in the 40 lb region if that says something about it.

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Shane, you are dead-on with your comment regarding the Sherwood-Newcastle P-965. While Rotel is a high value company, this pre-pro may offer a step or two above the RSP-1068. I have been doing a lot of research on this and it is a steal for all of what it offers.

Of course I have my bias toward the Bryston SP 1.7 too. An awesome pre/pro but certainly more pricey than the P-965. The Halo C2 is a great one as well though I have no experience with it.

Jim
            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Joseki
              • Sep 2003

Wow. No one recommended the Anthem AVM-20 or the AVM-30. Both of these are extremely configurable and have amazingly clean sound. I own two of the AVM-20's. They can be had for about $2200 on audiogon. New AVM-30's are around $2800 street.

David

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Joseki,
                We don't know where his budget is at. If he can't spend more then $1800, then it might be a huge reach to suggest the Halo or the Anthems. I agree they belong on the top of a list. If he plans to keep below 2k, then the Sherwood is hard to beat.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I would just like to point out a semantic difference. Typically pre-amp is a term reserved for 2 channel processors, pre processor is the multi-channel term.

These guys will point you in the right direction. I'd probably just say get a Lexicon.

lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• dettro
                    • Nov 2004

I can probably squeeze up to 1.5K and more if I can get a good deal out of my HK AVR-525 receiver. Sherwood looks like a good idea so I don't have to spend extra for a tuner. Anybody knows a dealer in North Jersey /NYC area? Thanks for all your suggestions.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

Dettro,
                      You are better off going to their site: http://www.sherwoodusa.com

You are wanting to look at their dealer locater and for Newcastle products.
                      Jeff Hipps is the man over there. I can find his email if you need it.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

dettro:

Check your PM.

Jim
                        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• mcwilson
                          • Sep 2004

Ati 8500.1

If you've not already made up your mind, you should at least use if for a point of comparison. ATI makes great pres and amps!

At ATI, we make heavy-duty amplifiers with proven circuitry, meticulous assembly and rigorous testing designed to deliver state-of-the-art audio for years, all designed by us and built in our own US factory. It’s a simple story, American amplifiers built by American people. We hope you enjoy listening.

Comment

• AndrewM
                            • Oct 2000

Well at $1.5k then read the above, but the Integra and the B&K MSRP at $2k, although I doubt you'll get a $500 discount off either, you may be able to get some chopped off that $2k and are worth adding to the audition list if you can squeeze the wallet a little tighter.

And you know it wouldn't be an internet forum without saying Outlaw 950 (and with the leftover cash you can invest in lotto tickets so you have a shot at the Lexicon MC12 )

Andrew

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

Originally posted by AndrewM
                              Well at $1.5k then read the above, but the Integra and the B&K MSRP at $2k,
                              That would be the Integra DTC-9.4, which is also a fine performer and a great value in its price range. If its feature set interests you (refer to linked info). it would be worth checking out at an authorized dealer. Integra does not allow internet sales but if you do not have an authorized dealer near you, they will allow telephone orders. However, there are a ton of dealers listed for New Jersey in the Integra dealer locator. Several months ago when I auditioned one, I was quoted a price enough less than the $2,000 MSRP for a brand new one to put it within striking distance of your stated price range.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Detto, I sent you a PM as well.
                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bob
                                  • Jul 2000

I would just like to point out a semantic difference. Typically pre-amp is a term reserved for 2 channel processors, pre processor is the multi-channel term.
                                  It is more than a semantic difference. AV(surround)processors are computers, pre-amps are completely different.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"