X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buffalocharlie
    • Jan 2003

Rotel vs. NAD

I have narrowed my choice of a new A/V receivers to 2: the NAD T762 (not yet available) and the Rotel RSX-1055.
    I am most concerned with stereo sound quality, both brands have their loyal fans, and detractors. Both units can be had for about $1100, and both list for $1399. I want the upgradability of 7.1 DD-EX and DTS-ES, but will not be running more than 5.1 speakers anytime soon.

I have listened to the Rotel and NAD's new T752 at separate retailers. Both sound great. I am a bit annoyed that the Rotel has no front panel A/V inputs (for a camcorder, say) and no headphone jack, and the remote is much more complex and less user-freindly than NAD's, but, again, my #1 concern is ultimate sound quality.

Any opinions gladly welcome as to which is the superior sounding unit. Thanks!

Charles R. Lewis
    Charles R. Lewis
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Its been some time since I've listened to a NAD receiver but they used to be solid machines. That said if you've been to our Club Rotel you know my feelings on which I'd pick :LOL: About the only way to know which one you'll like best is to buy or borrow both and do an in home trial...then return the NAD

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Both UK based products, aren't they?

NAD doesn't seem to have the marketing prowess or backing of Rotel. Do they?

Look for most important features now, but look to the most flexible over the long haul as well. Sound, I can't say which would reign supreme. Maybe a draw, hard to say.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Both are great Audio manufacturers.

I have a soft spot for NAD after owning two of them..
        The last one being the NAD t770.
        That was one heck of a receiver and even better than the Marantz SR-8200 I am now using upstairs. The dynamics the NAD created were incredible.
        Nad's biggest downfall is the slow reaction to new surround formats. The Flagship t770 was a Dolby Digital only receiver. I wanted more at the time but NAD had nothing else to offer nor with anything in the near future, so I had to unload it unfortunately.

Would I buy NAD again..Absolutely!! :yesnod:

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I just looked up the specifications on the NAD t762 and it looks like a winner.
          I was really impressed with the power output at 6 x 100 watts.
          My T770 was 70x5 but was in the same league as the 120 watt receivers.
          Nad is very conservative on the power ratings the publish.

The t762 will rock!!

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• stevkar
            • Jan 2003

I am in process of trying to make same decision NAD 762 vs. Rotel 1055... main downside to NAD that I have been able to determine is that it has TWO fans... I think they come on only when the unit does heat up... best of fans adds background noise and some of NAD's in past were supposedly loud. Downside to Rotel 1055 is as noted lack of front panel, not fully 6x (less completely DVD-A/SACD comaptible out of box), etc... other opinions...?

-Steve
            -Steve

Comment

• Citizen Kane
              • Jan 2003

I currently use the 761. A decent enough machine but lacks the bells and whistles of the 762. I recently had ocassion to listen to the 752 and I was generally impressed. However the fan noise is noticable in the quiet passages. The 762 with two fans might exhibit the same problem.

Habe ad alius ad ait immoderatio
              Habe ad alius ad ait immoderatio

Comment

• buffalocharlie
                • Jan 2003

Steve: wanted to say that I ended up getting the Rotel. I thought the sound was a bit more transparent than the NAD, plus the build quality seems somewhat better, and the 5-yr. warranty is nice. My local retailer said he stopped carrying the NAD because of reliability problems, I have heard similar themes on the internet. I was dying to get the T762, but I just got tired of waiting for it! (of course, one week after buying Rotel a canadian dealer called to say he had the T762 in!) Anyway, the Rotel sounds superb, The Absolute Sound just gave a great review to their 2-channel receiver, the 1050, and I am thrilled with the sound quality. By the way, the NAD T762 I heard (when I picked up a C541i CD player) had the fan(s?) on, and yet was whisper quiet at the same time. Very dynamic sounding, but not quite as "open" in my opinion.

Good luck! You really can't go wrong, they are both fine products.

Charles R. Lewis
                Charles R. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"