X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maykel
    • Nov 2003

Rotel Question

Hi there!

I'm getting a bit confused by now and I'm hoping that someone can give me a good bit of advice here.. In Holland we don't have that much experts on Rotel equipment since it is a whole lot more expensive than in the US..

Basically I'm looking for a new system that has both A/V and (excellent)stereo qualities in it. I was told I should look voor an amp that seriously drives the speakers (lots of current) instead of being misled by huge amounts of Watts in the specs. NAD or Rotel would be a good choice. Both brands seem OK to me, but I like the Rotel series a bit better.. they just have this firm, high quality thing over them.

OK.. is it safe for me to settle for the RSX1055/RDV1060 (player) combo when I want a high quality stereo sound or should I get at least the 1065 or perhaps even a separate power amp? And if the answer should be 'separates', are the pre amp qualities of a 1055 good enough of is there a real difference with those of the RSP1066? In other words.. is the difference in price of a 1066/1075/1080 (tuner) compared to the price of a single 1055 or 1065 worth the difference in sound?

I have to say I haven't really made up my mind yet when it comes to the speakers.. Listened to some Totem models (Staff) and they really appeal to me. B&W 600's are a bit 'hollow' IMHO. Had the opportunity to listen to the new 704's but they just came out of the box and weren't broken in yet so I can't fairly judge them. The mid section seemed great tho.

Should I also consider NAD? (T762 w/ 752 player i.e.)

A lot of thanks in advance for any suggestions or comment!

Greets from (rainy) Holland

Maykel
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The 1055 paired with a good rotel power amp is definatly a better choice then the 1065 for music. The 1055 has enough power for most surround speakers but adding a nice 5 or 2 channel amp for the mains is a great way to improve its 2 channel performance.

As for the 1055 vs 1066 look back a few threads someone else was asking the exact same question

Comment

• mazuly
      • Feb 2003

Hi,

I do agree with Andrew regarding the amp part, and just have another comment to add.

RDV-1060 will be an excellent player for movies and DVD-A disks but the Rotel CD players will outperform it for 2 channel music playback. RDV-1060 will sound better than most DVD players and budget CD players out there but it will not be as good as a good CD player for 2 channel music. I know that since I own a RDV-1080 and have tested it against RCD-1072 (mind you I did not do it at my house going through my RSP-1098 ). The analog sound of the RCD-1072 was quite better than that of RDV-1080.

So, if the 2 channel music sound is important to you, then you should also look at a good CD player to go with your system as well.

Good luck,
      Maziar

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"