X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Noddy
    • Dec 2004

NAD vs Rotel on my Klich RF5s?

I have had a Nad t773 at home on trial for a week and coming from Yamaha/ Denon ownership i now understand what all the hype is about with regards to big stable power supply. My Klipsch rf5's have never sound so good.

I then had a audition of these same speakers driven by Rotel 1056+1060 cd/dvd player. Sold! 8O

My only concern is i have had the power of the Nad t773 for a week and i hope the rotel will be as good as the Nad in multi-channel sound. What are your thoughts??

I Know these figures don't really count for much(75w by 5/110w by 7) but the weight difference between the two is substantial (Nad 24kg v Rotel 17kg)

The klipsch speakers are 99db so they don't need alot of power to run them but i do listen to low hz music and the Nad delivers the goods in this area.

Any input is appreciated............be gentle this my first post
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Noddy,

Both are great products... We have a lot of happy Rotel and Klipch owners in Club Rotel here in this forum... I think you will be happy if (as I take from your message) you listened to the Rotel 1056 on the same Klipch speakers in the store (having had just the NAD at home) and really liked the Rotel sound and the RSX-1056 combo with the RDV-1060... The Rotel has a great multi-channel sound ffor movies and music and the RDV is a nice matching unit...

Rotel and NAD have quite different sounds with Rotel a little more neutral and detailed to NADs warm musicality. If you want more power then the natural Rotel equivalent of the NAD 771 is the Rotel RSX-1067 (which as identical 110W x 7 specs for a similar price to the NAD). However Klipch are very effcient and probably the next step up in the Rotel world would be their RMB-1075 or RMB-1095 amps which will mate nicely with the RSX-1056 if ever you need them to!

Just remember the 110W of the NAD is about 2 db (barely audible) more MAXIMUM volume than the 75W of the Rotel....

Geoff

Comment

• Noddy
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
      Noddy,

Both are great products... We have a lot of happy Rotel and Klipch owners in Club Rotel here in this forum... I think you will be happy if (as I take from your message) you listened to the Rotel 1056 on the same Klipch speakers in the store (having had just the NAD at home) and really liked the Rotel sound and the RSX-1056 combo with the RDV-1060... The Rotel has a great multi-channel sound ffor movies and music and the RDV is a nice matching unit...

Rotel and NAD have quite different sounds with Rotel a little more neutral and detailed to NADs warm musicality. If you want more power then the natural Rotel equivalent of the NAD 771 is the Rotel RSX-1067 (which as identical 110W x 7 specs for a similar price to the NAD). However Klipch are very effcient and probably the next step up in the Rotel world would be their RMB-1075 or RMB-1095 amps which will mate nicely with the RSX-1056 if ever you need them to!

Just remember the 110W of the NAD is about 2 db (barely audible) more MAXIMUM volume than the 75W of the Rotel....

Geoff
      Thanks Geoff, i seem to remember reading that somewhere, doubling the power only gains 3db in volume. One other question i had with regards to the 1056, does it up convert s-video, composite to component? I couldn't see it in the specs on their website.

Comment

• Noddy
        • Dec 2004

Aussie Geoff, do you know if the 1056 up converts s-video and composite to component?

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

If you want more power then the natural Rotel equivalent of the NAD 771 is the Rotel RSX-1067 (which as identical 110W x 7 specs for a similar price to the NAD).
          The 773 right? Not the 771. The Rotel will have more features if you go with the 1067. The NAD doesn't upconvert anything at all. It's merely a switcher.

Really its going to come down to features.

Comment

• brendon
            • Aug 2004

Hi Noddy,I recently was out looking for speakers and visited a dealer who stocked NAD and when I asked about this range of amps he told me that he was not going out of his way to sell them at the moment as he had had too many returns recently with various problems.I dont belive there was any thing wrong with sound quality and he was not trying to steer me to a different product he stocked as I had already stated a preference for an amp he did not stock .I had previously seen some negative comments on this brand elsewhere but its often hard to say how much weight to give opinions on the web as nearly every major brand I've heard of has more than a few disatisfied users posting about them!
            Brendon

Comment

• Foxman
              • Jan 2003

About year ago when I jumped into this I demoed the NAD and was VERY impressed with it. Once I did some research I found several quality controll issues. At the time that really steered me into other directions and I ended up with a Rotel 1066 / 1075 combo with my Klipsch speakers and have never regretted it.

I wont comment on that particular NAD you are considering as I am not familier with their current series, but the issues that plagued them then must still be present in some units as I have read others concerns over quality control with NAD. Thats a shame because I thought they really sounded nice.

Just my 2 cents.
              IMO

My Movies
              Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Noddy
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Foxman
                About year ago when I jumped into this I demoed the NAD and was VERY impressed with it. Once I did some research I found several quality controll issues. At the time that really steered me into other directions and I ended up with a Rotel 1066 / 1075 combo with my Klipsch speakers and have never regretted it.

I wont comment on that particular NAD you are considering as I am not familier with their current series, but the issues that plagued them then must still be present in some units as I have read others concerns over quality control with NAD. Thats a shame because I thought they really sounded nice.

Just my 2 cents.
                Good feedback guys, I still have the Nad 773 here with me until my Rotel gear arrives, this unit does have a hiss sound emitting from my Klipsch speakers starting at 00db and up. Most noticeable when using the headphones in EARS mode, mildly annoying when there is a pause in the song/voice, not a huge deal but my previous Yamaha receivers that I still have don't exhibit this issue.

Where's my Rotel gear??? I guess i won't get it sorted before xmas. :roll:

Comment

• soundhound
                  • Mar 2004

Can't comment on the NAD but I can tell you FOR CERTAIN, the Rotel, Klipsch combo is unbeatable. If one didn't know better you would think they were designed for each other. I have the RSP-1068, RMB-1075, RB1070, RF-3 series and from 2 channel bypass to 7.1 this stuff is incredible. It sounds so sweet from low volume (romantic evening) to LOUD (movie night) and everything in between. Any new piece of Rotel I have purchased seems to take a couple of weeks to open up and blossom, but once it does, kick back and enjoy....You will find yourself revisiting tunes that have been setting on the shelf collecting dust, and hearing things in the tracks you don't recall hearing b-4. Sorry for sliding off track guys, It's early, 4 days off for Christmas, am feeling a little uephoric at the moment......

Comment

• Noddy
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
                    Can't comment on the NAD but I can tell you FOR CERTAIN, the Rotel, Klipsch combo is unbeatable. If one didn't know better you would think they were designed for each other. I have the RSP-1068, RMB-1075, RB1070, RF-3 series and from 2 channel bypass to 7.1 this stuff is incredible. It sounds so sweet from low volume (romantic evening) to LOUD (movie night) and everything in between. Any new piece of Rotel I have purchased seems to take a couple of weeks to open up and blossom, but once it does, kick back and enjoy....You will find yourself revisiting tunes that have been setting on the shelf collecting dust, and hearing things in the tracks you don't recall hearing b-4. Sorry for sliding off track guys, It's early, 4 days off for Christmas, am feeling a little uephoric at the moment......
                    Good to hear they are a proven match! I have rf5's rc7 and rs7 rears, i am more than happy with them.

Comment

• Noddy
                      • Dec 2004

Me again, i have had the 1056 for a couple of days now and although my two channel listening is fantastic there seems to be a big difference in the multichannel movie soundtracks compared to the Nad.

Its almost like there is a hole in the middle of the frequencies, the dialog is crisp and clear and the sub is doing it's job but most the middle frequencies were not being heard

. The other area where the nad performed well was in low volume listening, everything in the soundtracks that i use when auditioning equipment was audible, with the 1056 it seemed as though some sound effects had dissapeared untill the volume was up around 57-60 on the dial.

So now im thinking of upgrading to the 1067 as it has comparable specs to the nad t773, remembering that it is not peak volumes i have an issue with, its the fullness of the sound the t773 had in multichannel from low to moderate volume.

Will the extra coin spent on the 1067 give me what im talking about? I cannot get a demo of this receiver, i would have to order sight unseen.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Something else you might like to try would be the 1056 with a seperate 2-channel amp (the RB1070 or RB1080) :P Better option than the bigger receivers IMO.
                        Jason

Comment

• Noddy
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                          Something else you might like to try would be the 1056 with a seperate 2-channel amp (the RB1070 or RB1080) :P Better option than the bigger receivers IMO.
                          By adding a 2 channel amp to the 1056 does the receiver use it new reserves of current to drive the remaining five channel that much better? Is or will there be an audible difference by adding the 2ch amp in multichannel listening?

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"