Open to suggestions for multi channel amps!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Open to suggestions for multi channel amps!

Since i've always owned receivers, I have no intimate knowledge of amps. I'm looking to actively biamp some new mains, (nudge nudge, wink, wink Tom and Jon) and will need 4 channels for this. Of course the Ref50 is about to be launched and going to seperates would also require 5 more channels. My initial thought is to get 2 5 channel amps. Sherbourne and Outlaw pop to mind, right off the get go, but need any and all advice/ideas/alternatives without breaking the bank, of course. $1200 or so each for these is probably near the limit for me. I'm guessing 100 watts/channel is minimum?

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Two points here. Buy used and get as much power as you can afford. That's the best way to maximize your amp dollar. What if you could find 2 Aragons and a big Parasound 5 channel maybe?

Well, it's a thought.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Pat
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Pete, you could always take a listen to Anthem.
      I have one of their 3 channel amps (MCA-3) and it is great.

Pat's Page
      Pat's Page

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

In the price range you're considering, I'd second the vote for an Athem. You won't find a multi channel Aragon in that price range, not even an X3. The Aragon would have more power, and be able to drive pretty much anything. The Anthem may be a bit more refined.

For the off shore manufactured Amps, I'd suggest Rotel for the top end, and Parasound for the bottom end if you biamp. That's where their strengths lie. Using an Anthem for the top end would be fine, also.

Of course, if it were my system, and money wasn't a serious issue (dream on, Jon!), I'd go with Ayre V-6's. At least on the top end. That would be pretty killer, Ayre mid and high's, with an Aragon bottom end. I know from experience; that's how I had my X1's biamped when they were last setup. Now I'm working on Aragon mods with no loop feedback, and an upgrade for the X1's to Seas Excel woofers. But the X1 upgrades won't happen until after the Arvo Part is done and the "Mano e Mano Array" has been built. At the rate things are going at work (work and renumeration wise), that could be a while! :LOL:

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PMazz
          • May 2001

Found a few Adcoms but no Anthems so far. Do they have distribution over the net or is it a local HiFi thing?

Some decent pricing on B&K 7250s also. I guess the new rollouts will have folks upgrading. Worth the bucks?

Pete
          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Well, one never knows what he will find. Check the expiring today auctions at ebay, audiogon, etc.. every day.

BK maybe not to bad, but personally, not much experience there.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

Well, I found a good deal on a B&K 7250, 200 W x 5 amp. Check's in the mail.

Thanks for the advice.

Pete
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"