X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob
    • Feb 2001

Better Quality Interconnects

Hello,
    Im considering buying better quality interconnects and speaker wire. I currently have Monster interconnects (about $35 apiece) and 12 guage Monster speaker wire.
    I thinking of spending about $750.00 on interconnects.
    Will better interconnects be a great difference or only subtle? Will I hear more info...?
    I currentky have the MC-1, B&W Nautilus speakers and Krell Kav amps. Will better interconnects greatly utilize my other componets?
    Thank you,
    Rob
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, the biggest bang for your buck is on the audio side. Silver interconnects from pre-pro to amp, at least for the front end, and higher quality speaker cables for 2. Maybe a quality digital for your primary CD and DVD players.

You may want to check out Silvercats at CAT Cables. Just click the banner below. Also, the Quantum Silver Centauri speaker cables at Quantum Cable wouldn't be a bad choice at all. I love them on my Sonus fabers Email me if you want more details. Just so it's not like I am recommending these without your full knowledge, I do own both companies.

Goodluck with your choices.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Rob,
      I do believe, and in some cases know for a fact, better qual;ity interconnects to make a difference. And I for one will definitely recommend Cat Cables. Doug made a digital THUNDERCTAS coax cable for my system, replacing a lower end make, and the difference was startling, especially in the mid and low end.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

I third the CatCables recommendation. I have Silvercats connecting my SACD/DVD player to my receiver and they do make a subtle yet definite improvement in the sound. I also have a Tigress component video cable which is noticeably better in both build quality and performance than the Monster cable I had before.

I intend on replacing my subwoofer and digital coax cables with CATs down the road as funding permits, and when I take the separates plunge, you can bet there'll be CATs connecting pre-pro to amp as well.

And no, Lex didn't pay me to post this. I'm speaking as a satisfied CatCables customer. Definitely check them out!

Personally, my interconnect priorities are as follows (as in most to least important to upgrade to quality ones):

1. Analog audio between preamp and amps
        2. Analog audio from high-end components (SACD, CD, DVD-A) to preamp
        3. Component video from DVD to TV
        4. S-video or composite, if used for quality components (e.g. LD player, satellite box)
        5. Digital coax
        6. LFE / Sub Cables
        7. Lower quality sources, e.g. VCRs, tape decks, MP3 players, cable boxes etc.

Your priorities may be the same, or different. It all depends on how you use your system and what you consider most critical. Also, if you're using cheapo 16 or thinner gauge zipcord for speaker wire, an upgrade there will also be beneficial. I think speaker wire, once you hit 14 gauge or thicker, is not as big an improvement factor as interconnects.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"