• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Best earphones for portable MP3?

Hey all,

I'm BIG into mobile music and use my HTC Sensation as my portable music player. Currently, I use the Motorola "Motrorokr S9-HD" bluetooth wireless headset for most of my 'out of the house' and away from my main stereo listening. I've been using this headset for a couple of years now and love them (despite bad reviews from people who simply did not read the instructions or learn how to use wireless technology properly!!). The wireless aspect and advantage of this headset cannot be denied!!.

For Christmas, my wife got me a set of wired, mid priced Sennheiser headphones, and I could immediately notice more detail in the sound, not so much more bass.....but slightly better, tighter bass I guess. Bass seems to be the issue with the small, "in the ear" headphones. The high frequencies are noticeably better with the wired set but I just cannot get beyond the fact that I cannot change songs or volume without taking the player/phone out and making the adjustments there. The Motorokr's allow me to make track changes and volume adjustments via little controls on the side of the headset itself which is fabulous!!. Plus, I can also take phone calls as well!!.

I would be interested to hear feedback from this forum and the 'audiophile' tendencies here as to what headphones they prefer!!??.

Sound off folks!!. I am interested as to what headphones you prefer. Now, bare in mind that I have a set of over the ear Grado headphones that are of course... vastly better to what I am discussing here!!. I'm talking portable in ear phones in this case.

Looking forward to your views on this!! ;x(
    Dan Madden :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Heya, Mac--I've had VERY good experiences with Etymotic earphones. I still use two different in-ear Etymotic earphone models, and absolutely love them, using them for both my computer when I have to stay quiet, and my iPhone/iPod for portable music listening. They have a full line-up now, from the cheap to the very nice. Over the last 9 years, I've talked with them several times about models and a repair, and their customer service is top notch, too. Check out my early review here, which is actually posted via a link from Ety's website:

I can't believe I posted it that long ago!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
      Heya, Mac--I've had VERY good experiences with Etymotic earphones. I still use two different in-ear Etymotic earphone models, and absolutely love them, using them for both my computer when I have to stay quiet, and my iPhone/iPod for portable music listening. They have a full line-up now, from the cheap to the very nice. Over the last 9 years, I've talked with them several times about models and a repair, and their customer service is top notch, too. Check out my early review here, which is actually posted via a link from Ety's website:

I can't believe I posted it that long ago!

I read the very thorough review and it was very interesting!!. Not sure if these are available in Canada??. However, $300+ bucks for 'in ear' phones is a tad steep for me!!.

I remember back in the day when I worked downtown and used my Grado over the ear headset hooked up to my then Sony cassette walkman!. I made recordings on high quality metal Cassette's straight from CD and the sound I would get via the Grados was quite exceptional for portable listening!!. I believe the sound was better than I currently get from my current MP3!!.

Whatever the case, there will always be a sonic trade off for portability. Although my wired set does sound better than my bluetooth one, the advantage of wireless is worth the small trade off in sound quality. You have no idea how many times I either busted the cord or had the earphones flung out of my ears by having inadvertently got the cord caught on something!! :x
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"