X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Head phones for iPod

Well, I've been looking at some various headphones and I came to the conclusion to go with Sennheiser HD595.

However, I'm curious to how the Bose noise cancelling variety compare? Anyone have comments or is there another brand/model for me to be looking at.

Has to have low impeadance (iPod), Closed over the ear, comfortable, and great sounding (obvisouly).

Grado's seem really great sounding, but not the best for comfort.

The 600 series from Sennheiser need good quality electronics to drive them, those are out of the question.

Sony? any others?
  • Nick Danger
    • Aug 2004

You might want to check out Shure in-ear phones, if in-ear works for you. I believe that some of their models have dual drivers to deliver more music.

I purchased the Ultimate Ears UE-5c for my ipod listening - while they take some time to get used to, they sound amazing. They cut out a whole lot of ambient noise, so you won't have to put the volume up as high (saving battery life), but then it is unsafe to rollerblade or cycle outdoors with them on! It's great walking to work with them on because the noise of the world is shut out! These are custom made, so you cannot return them once they are made, which means they are not for everyone and is why I also recommended the Shure (based on reviews that I read in Stereophile). But for sound, with the dual drivers, these can't be beat for in-ear headphones - and they stay in place no matter what movement!
    Nick

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

I've never had any luck with in ear phones. Either too big or too small...weren't comfortable at all to me. Granted these sound really good...

Any opinions to over the ear phones?

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sam, I really don't think you can go wrong with the 595's. Sennheisers' upper model 'phones are all very good pieces of equipment and if the iPod will drive them, go for it.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

That's a good point, will the iPod drive them?? Need to check the impedance specs.

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Ipods can probably drive most any dynamic type headphone, but the high-impedance ones won't play as loud or deliver as much bass without some sort of amp.

Sennheiser 595 sounds like a good choice. I'm partial to Sonys too.

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

So, the next question...where can I get a set from a reliable internet store with a good price!

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Interesting. The 595 shows up on the Sennheiser site, but not on the normal 'Net sites I frequent. They all show the 580 as the model in that range.

MusicDirect has them for $199.00
                NeedleDoctor has them for $199.95
                OneCall has them for 199.95

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

The following links are on Headphone.com (Headroom).

Sennheiser HD 595

HD 595 w/Cardas cable upgrade

HD 580

Note that the HD 600 is no longer Sennheiser's top of the line; the HD 650 now takes that spot.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Hehe, I love the description on the 595s that goes "and the soft sibilant blat of a lip slapping a trombone". :B

I forgot about headphone.com :roll:

Comment

• junior77blue
                      • Nov 2004

So, noone has been able to find the HD595s from a reputable seller for less than the $250 retail price?

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Not me. . . . :nonod:

Comment

• junior77blue
                          • Nov 2004

Thanks for the effort...I'm able to get them for $240 including shipping & tax from a local internet company. Gotta love state tax!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"