X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

XA777ES in the house!

Just picked it up 2 days ago from my local Sony dealer for 2K. Initial impressions:

PROS:
    1. Built like a tank (like its first generation predecessors).
    2. Fast loading of SACD's.
    3. Extremely quiet.
    4. CD playback better than my Camelot; comparable to my Wadia. Still putting hours on it.
    5. SACD playback phenomenal. Initial impressions of comparing Santana's Abraxas on this unit using SACD, Wadia using CD, and vinyl, show it as an extremely promising format.

CONS:
    1. Separate outputs for 2-channel and multichannel i.e. cannot use mutlichannel front outputs if playing a 2-channel disc.

Still requires further break-in and listening, but overall I am very pleased with the unit. I will post a further review after a few months.

Q.
    Q.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Sounds interesting Crimson! That's a good price, comparable to what Oades Bros. will do- they're where I got my SCD777ES.

I'm in the market a little later for an XA777ES, because I want to have SACD in the bedroom system also. Your comments reflect my experiences with the SCD777ES, excepting the fast loading!

Many have commented on the "burn-in" time required for these units to reach their best. I've made so many changes in my system I couldn't say if any of the improvement in sonics is due to burn-in of the SCD777ES, but I don't have any complaints.

Let us know your thoughts as you gain more time with it.

BTW, you're probably familiar with reviews of a lot of the disks out, but two that are pretty special are the Florestan Trio playing Piano Trios on Hyperion, and the James Taylor "Hourglass". "Jazz at the Pawnshop" is coming out soon from FIM, I expect that to be pretty amazing, given how good the HDCD is.

And if you try the Sony on CD, does it have the variable filter coefficients like the SCD777ES? Try DF3, it should be the closest to your Wadia, I think. It's my preferred setting.

Happy listening!

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Crimson
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Jon,
      Haven't played with the filters yet. Still awed at how good SACD sounds. Thanks for the disc recommendations....I'll check them out.

Q.
      Q.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Kewl Crimson, I can only wish.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Crimson
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Update!

I'm really falling in love with SACD playback. It just sounds so right. Also, CD playback seems to be getting better with time as I've got plenty of it on my hands (was laid off a week ago and feel like a new man!).

With regards to filters, the unit has 2 filter options, but I still feel the standard playback option sounds best to me.

Q.
          Q.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Hi Crimson,

Mmmmm, new man, huh? We just had an email put out by our US CEO explaining there would be more layoffs on top of the one's from last August (yeah, a month ago), and they also had a "voluntary severance" package- which looks pretty good, other than my not knowing what I'd do to make a living after the severance money ran out. (with 16 years with Infineon, I'd get a months pay, plus a week for each year). Oh year, there's one other glitch, it would only be approved based on business need, and I'm the only person doing my particular job for the whole NAFTA region, so I guess that leaves me out.

Seriously, though, is the filter option on the XA777ES like the output filter setting on the SCD777ES (which is basically "normal" and "wideband", i.e., normal is 40 kHz, wideband is 100 kHz; this affects SACD only), or in the case of CD playback on the 777 ES and SCD-1, there are five digitial filter options for CD, which vary in the time domain and frequency domain properties, such as the way a Wadia player varies from most Std. CD players (reduces some of group delay issues, pre and post ringing on square waves), or the way the Ayre CD player uses the BB chip set "Measure" (flattest frequency response 20-20K) or "listen" (best time domain behavior, slower roll off in the highs, some changes in stopband behavior). I do prefer the SCD777ES in the DF3 mode, which is most similar to the Wadia and the Ayre. Note this is DSP stuff going on before the CD signal is converted to DSD- both CD and DSD go through the same output DACs.

Anyway, enjoy your player. Wish someone knew where there was a PDF file for your owners manual- Sony probably has one floating around somewhere, I have them for a lot of the Sony gear I have.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Crimson
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Jon,

The 'package' is the reason why I feel invigorated. Don't work and still get paid? Heck, yeah! (But that will only last so long).

The filters available on this unit, from what I understand, affect CD playback only. Don't know exactly what thier doing. There are no filters available for SACD playback as the 'tri-DAC' per side technique is new (at least for stereo). The manual was written by ........ lets just say it sucks?

All this time and such a lot of music to listen to................

(BTW, I've got the James Taylor disc on order).

Q.
              Q.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"