X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

B&K vs Brsyton

I'm seriously thinking of spending some cash on a used amp to provide some cleaner power to my mains. So far I've found two likely candiates. One's a used B&K ST1400 Series 1 amp and the other is a used Bryston 3B amp. Obviously the Bryston is older and its a bit more expensive..the question is is it worth it over the B&K?

• Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmm...should I really give you my opinion? I've got a bias towards Maggies and Bryston, and would say try the 3B with the 1.4's. If you're willing, try both of them. The 3B 'may' have better definition and control on the low end, but the mid- and high-band performance between the three will probably be based on your preference. Sounds like fun though!

Q.
    Q.

Comment

• John Kotches
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Original 3B (and others) (no -NRB no -ST) earned Bryston the nickname Brightston.

You have to be careful of the system context or it does get a wee big bright. Maybe a nice tube preamp could keep you away from that fate.

Regards,

---
      Editor, PC/Home Theater
      Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
      My Home Theater
      NEC LT-150 specific page.
      ---
      Editor, PC/Home Theater
      Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
      My Home Theater
      NEC LT-150 specific page.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Yes, another example that comes to mind of older not necessarily being better is Proceed where amps are concerned. I can't recall the series, but the first amps from Proceed were crap. Of course, the HPA series and AMP5 changed all that. I think the new lower line amps from Proceed also proudly wear the Proceed badge. But that's heresay. I personally have not had much experience with them other than seeing them. That's the BPA series or some such.

But back to Bryston, unfortunately, I do think this is an audition to find out situation...

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The nice thing with the Bryston is that it can probably be "fixed" one of 2 ways. First is DIY changing out caps, etc., this voids the warranty. Second is by sending it back to Bryston and getting it upgraded. The upgrade renews the transferable 20yr warranty.

The Bryston will do a better job physically driving the maggies. It's sound quality may not be quite as good as the B&K, but IMHO it's a better longterm investment

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"