Who will be making any system changes for the new audio formats??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRWILLL
    • Aug 2000

Who will be making any system changes for the new audio formats??

Hello...

DVD-A/SACD will require a lot of folks to make changes in their systems. What (if any) changes will you make for the new audio formats?

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
    DVD...Hear it from the people who
    mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
    STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
    DVD...Hear it from the people who
    mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
  • Bob Santos
    • Mar 2001

These new formats aren't on the top of my list of importants, but minus the player my system is ready for DVD-A.
    I just got a B&K Ref 30 which has inputs for DVD-A.

I will wait a bit to dive into these new formats.

Comment

• Wireless
      • Feb 2001

I think I'm going to wait to see if one of the technical formats become dominant. It may be that neither survive and redbook cd remains the standard. I will have to upgrade/Update my AVP for multichannel inputs

John
      My HT Picts
      John
      My HT Picts

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Took the plunge last year after hearing SACD; the player has re-vitalized my interest in recorded music, both because of CD performance, which was significantly improved compared with XA7ES Sony player, and SACD. SACD is the only digital format I've heard that sounds like the Otari 15 ips 10" half track open reel I used to have.

Modifications to the system have been conversion to a passive preamp using Shallco rotary switch attenuators (modified Marchand PR41), and building a new electronic crossover for speakers, using top flight active circuitry and components.

Not particularly interested in multi-channel at this time, so two channel disks on SACD really appeal, as well as SACD having seperate 2 channel and multi-channel mixes on the same disk- no automated mixdown in player.

Give it a listen, at least on something like a $100 set of Sennheiser headphones. The better the system, the more you can hear through to. Software's the big hangup, only a couple of hundred titles so far on SACD.

Regards,

Jon

Regards

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

of the formats pro logic 2 interets me more then anything given the amount of older pro logic material there is out there plus the fact that i dont' have room for a rear centre. SACD would be very nice to add to the mix but until prices come down its not an option.

Comment

• Crimson
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Mr. Will,
            Of the 2 competing formats, I'd have to opt for SACD and here's why:
            1. There is the issue of audible watermarking with DVDA. Not that I've even demoed it yet, but I'd be hesitant to add it to a hi-res playback system.
            2. I do NOT want to add a monitor/TV to my audio-only system. Apparently the only visual feedback for music discs is via onscreen programming.
            3. Being that my audio-only system is 2-channel, I do not want an inferior downmix from multichannel as DVDA does. The current DVDA player downconverts to 48kHz for 2-channel playback.
            4. I don't need (currently) a DVD player in my 2-channel system. I've got 2 in my HT.
            5. I'd like more than a single player and 4 titles to choose from!.
            I've been holding off on taking the SACD plunge as of yet because of other more 'pressing' financial commitments, and have my eye on the Marantz SA-1. But who knows. I'll be attending the HE expo in NYC in May, and might just change my mind .

Q.
            Q.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I am just waiting for Jon to upgrade so I can buy his old SACD, lol. Seriously, I don't know. Right now, these new formats really don't flip my switch. Not to the point I would go in debt for them, so I must wait. Lex hit the wall some time back, and hey, CAT has cost me money up front. Also add a pair of Concertinos, and some other spending and boom, here we go again. lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Robbie
                • Aug 2000

Heck, it took me 10 years to make the switch to CD and that was only because I couldn't get alllbums anymore. A new format is last on my list of upgrades. Especally with 2 formats out there, no way would I plunge until the real format steps forward.

Robbie

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"