X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iguana Man
    • Nov 2000

Tube amp to go with B&W DM604s2's ?

Can anyone suggest a tube amp(s) for my two 604's? I use them as fronts in a HT, and want to really make them shine by hooking up some tubes for those "music only" times. I like it loud on occasion and the speakers are 90db so I imagine 50watts of tube power should be enough ?

Iguana Man
    Iguana Man
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

hey I-man, sounds like a good plan. WB too.

Are you looking for straight tube amp, or a combined solid state pre-processor/tube amp like the Pathos?

I am not the tube amp guru that's for sure. Michael should be able to assist though. Now, when it comes to cables from an external DAC, or from analog sources, I gotcha covered there. www.catcables.com.

Lex

Comment

• MichaelW
      • Aug 2000

Iguana Man,

Your speakers are fairly sensitive but have a pretty steep impedance curve (4.3 ohms min). A push-pull tube amp is probably going to be your best bet. 50 watts might be the ticket in your small room but less power, say 25-30 watts, might work as well. My suggestion would be to try out several tubes amps, with various wattages, and buy the one that sounds best with your speakers. I would suggest looking at the Antique Electronic Supply and Antique Sound Labs for their amps. Both offer very reasonably priced tube gear that might work well for you.

Comment

• Iguana Man
        • Nov 2000

Michael, when you say "steep impedance curve", what exactly does that mean? Are they harder to push than the 90db suggests ?

Iguana Man
        Iguana Man

Comment

• migliore
          • Nov 2000

I've seen some good kit tube amps for about $600-800.

Rob

Reviews and System
          Reviews and System

Comment

• John Kotches
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

If you're looking to blow some serious $$$ on the tube amplification, take a look at Manley Labs @ http://www.manleylabs.com

If you're trying to be a bit more modestly priced, check out Rogue Audio, at http://www.rogueaudio.com

Regards,

---
            Editor, PC/Home Theater
            Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
            My Home Theater
            NEC LT-150 specific page.
            ---
            Editor, PC/Home Theater
            Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
            My Home Theater
            NEC LT-150 specific page.

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

What is meant by the "Steep Impedance Curve?"

I had spoken with B&W tech support, and he had told me that the 600 series are very flat impedance wise, 40hz - 20Khz @ 8ohms. I think he may have sent me numbers of the impedance curve, if I can find them, I'll pass them along.

Looking at the B&W site, the 604's have a nominal impedance of 8ohm and minimum of 3ohm (freq. not stated), that is different from my 603's he was responding to.

Bing
              Bing

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"