X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    • Aug 2000

Bryston BP20/25

I am thinking of purchasing a Bryston BP25 pre-amp. Has anyone actually heard it in combination with a 3BST or 4BST? I am thinking of the silver finish, I would also be sending in my 4BST for a " facelift" . My cost for all this would be @ $1950.00 for the pre, and $150.00 for faceplate and handles for the 4BST.
    Any thoughts or comments?

Steve
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

I too would be interested in knowing how the Bryston stacks up in this area. Sounds like it must be a nice piece, by the price. But that's all I have to go by...

I would guess someone will stop in selling a tube based pre-amp shortly, lol.

Lex

Comment

• brucek
      HTG Expert
      • Aug 2000

Steve,

I have heard this combination and came close to getting the BP25 because I couldn't seem to find a pre pro that would do everything I wanted for both HT and two channel listening.
      I was going to run two separate systems.

Just about that time Bryston came out with their SP-1 pre pro which I purchased sight unseen because it's claimed everything I wanted in both HT and two channel including specs which match their BP25 in two channel mode.

I have used this new pre pro for about a month now and believe me it is breathtaking in every mode. Your not likely to hear much better.

If you have the means, check this one out and maybe combine your two kinds of listening into one system...

brucek

Comment

• MichaelW
        • Aug 2000

I would guess someone will stop in selling a tube based pre-amp shortly, lol.
        Lex,

Hey, I resemble that remark Ha! I didn't even mention anything about a tube preamp even though I think your suggestion for one is a really good idea.

I can't say as I have heard the mentioned Bryston preamp so I can't comment on its performance. All I can add is to make sure you demo the preamp at home, with your gear, before you make your final decision.

Comment

• Lexman
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2000

Resemble that remark ey? lol.

Very good advice for the home audition.

Lex

Comment

• Crimson
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'm using the BP20 (don't use vinyl) with 2 7B-ST's, and I find I am extremely partial to Bryston gear. It is, IMO, very transparent and does not embellish the source material at all. It can be used (as I have done in the past) with a regular processor for HT by simply having the processor's front outputs feed the aux in on the BP-20.

Q.
            Q.

Comment

• Steve
              • Aug 2000

I was talking to my wife after posting here and asked her if she wanted the silver model which would have to be ordered in. I then told her that I would be sending the 4BST back to Bryston for modification and that it would be gone for a few weeks. She didn't like that idea so we went and purchased a black non-rack mount version yesterday.

I have been trying to audition a Bryston pre-amp at my local dealer for a couple of months now, but the demo model has been in use by a customer (friend of the manager?) who apparently had his stolen. They ordered him a new one but he hadn't picked it up yet. They will have to order him another one...lol. I was confident in purchasing without an audition from all the reviews I have read, and so far I am very happy with the purchase.

Brucek,

I considered that route. I could trade in my 2095 for the SP1 but I would still need amplification for the center and surround channels and I can't afford that right now.

Crimson,

It would be safe for me to run my main channel pre-outs on my Yamaha 2095 into the aux jacks?

Steve

Comment

• Crimson
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Steve,
                Yes. Although not being too familiar with your Yamaha, are its main pre outs fixed or variable? If variable, you bring the Brystons level to a suitable level then control the overall level with the Yamaha. If fixed, you'd need to constantly adjust the level of the Bryston to match the rest of the system.

Q.
                Q.

Comment

• Steve
                  • Aug 2000

Crimson,

Thanks for your help. The pre-outs are variable, I'll try it tonight.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"