X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Need an inexpensive 2 channel power amp to tide me over

My 14-year-old Integra DTR 6.4's amp section is on its last legs. IIRC, about two years ago, the Front Left channel crapped out. It has been doing 2CH duty since 2012 but, owing to its 6CH amp, and I was able to re-purpose the left rear to pitch in by using the All Channel Stereo setting on the DSP. However, that left channel also crapped out yesterday (it's been fading in the past couple of weeks with intermittent issues, but now it's dead). Cant repurpose the front or rear centre channels as they don't get just one channel when All Channel Stereo is engaged. I'm sure it could be fixed if I were handy enough, but I'm not. Instead, I'm going to get a two channel amp (the pre-amp functions all work fine, and I need the legacy hookups for my ancient TV) and use that to tide me over.

Pretty sure I'm going to go with this: https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-100

Seems a solid little amp, it's getting very good comments as a headphone amp as well (so I can repurpose it later). AND I found a Canadian official seller of it that will sell it to me for the US price in CDN dollars (a pretty big discount and saves me international shipping headaches). I don't do critical listening in this room, and my speakers are easy to drive (PSB Imagine Bs). When I upgrade the TV (or, more likely, the "man-cave" AVR), I'll put a fully functional AVR in the living room and move the Emotiva to an office system (or send it with my daughter when she moves out--I'm sure I'll find something to do with it).

I've done the ebay/Craigslist/Canuck Audiomart search and might get something there--but I need something inexpensive (this is an unplanned issue) and I'd prefer a warranty.

Thoughts?
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I didn't know Emotiva had an amp in that price range. I can't think of anything at that price that I would pick instead. After a quick perusal of Audiogon I didn't see anything comparable in the used listings. Looks like a good deal.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Picked up the Emotiva. Only played around for 30 mins to see if everything works. Will set final levels tomorrow when the rest of the household is awake. Works like a charm. Initial marks: 4.5/5 stars. Docked half a star because the volume knob has no detent or other indicators. Used as a minimalist integrated amp on a desktop it would not bother me. However, in the living room, the likelihood of someone accidentally changing the final setting is high. I'd prefer not to mar its appearance by putting tape or something else to mark the setting. Oh well, perfection is a rare thing.

Final price with tax was 35$CDN less than if I'd ordered from Emotiva directly, before shipping charges, taxes, and duties, and I was able to pick it up locally 40 minutes from my house, so no local shipping charges either. :T I figure I saved at least 100$CDN.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

And picked up a nice amplifier. Nice!
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Set the level on the Emotiva (made easy by my AVR's THX levels setting function and my trusty SPL meter). It's half the power of my AVR in 2CH mode (was a true 100W/CH, until it died, in 2CH) but as I never drive that system to anywhere near reference level, it's a moot point. Nice that it has a wired trigger system compatible with my AVR (and it came with the wire), so it's on automatically (the others don't have to touch it at all--yay!).

Most likely a bit of confirmation bias at play (audio memory being so notoriously short-lived), but a bit of listening for sound quality seems to reveal a clearer sound than I was getting lately. I chalk that up to the AVR's internal amps deteriorating before letting go altogether more than anything else (solid-state amp in this general category should sound the same as another, within their performance limits). But whatever the reason (placebo or actual improvement), I'm happy with the sound. If it proves reliable (no reason it shouldn't, it's just my first experience with this company), then I foresee more Emotiva amplification in my future (perhaps pushing me towards a pre/pro rather than another AVR).

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Don't you love it when things work out? All too rare an occurrence, anymore.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

All too true. Gave it another hour of pure listening (not music in the background, but sitting in the sweet spot and listening). Between tracks, dead quiet. Another good sign. And the high frequencies are clearly better than the old AVR has been recently. Like the lobster and/or frog in the boiling pot, I didn't notice the gradual decline of the highs as the AVR amp was also declining until I got a fresh, fully functional amp. Sadly, I'm away for a week so won't get to enjoy it until I get back.

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Looks like a nice little amp... I saw this thread with interest because I'm looking to add an amp to my system to drive a pair of outdoor speakers on my deck, and this little Emotiva seems like just the thang.

I'm a little surprised at its dimensions though... only 8.5" wide but 15" deep? I will probably have to place it sideways in my cabinet, but that might affect the ventilation. How warm does it get in normal use?

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kevin P
                  Looks like a nice little amp... I saw this thread with interest because I'm looking to add an amp to my system to drive a pair of outdoor speakers on my deck, and this little Emotiva seems like just the thang.

I'm a little surprised at its dimensions though... only 8.5" wide but 15" deep? I will probably have to place it sideways in my cabinet, but that might affect the ventilation. How warm does it get in normal use?
                  I have it on a small table out in the open and it barely warms up (so far). The casing has many ventilation holes. Also has a fan and decent heat sink.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"