X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

MCH and DSP to the rescue

I upgraded my "man-cave" AVR nearly five years ago and moved the old one to the living room in 2CH mode, mated to a (then) new pair of PSB Imagine Bs. The other night, with no warning signs, the right channel simply went dead. No sound, no static, nothing. Not in an ideal budgetary situation for a new piece of gear, so I tried hooking up the speakers to Zone 2 outputs, with no luck. Well, the sound worked, but only with analogue sources and I have three digital sources going through the AVR. DSP to the rescue. I hooked the speakers to the Surround L/R connectors, switched the default DSP setting from "last valid" to "All Channel Stereo" for all inputs and, voila, problem solved (for now). My hope is the previously unused channels (well, unused since Dec 2011) will last another 3-5 years (it's a secondary system, not a critical one, so I can live with the current arrangement for a while).

Sucks that I lose the Pure Audio mode for my DVD-A/SACD player (which is hooked up via analogue anyway--no HDMI on this AVR), but I need the legacy component video inputs for my living room TV and, it appears, only the upper models of current AVRs have enough of those for my needs (3 in/1 out). Guess my only concern is I have no idea why the channel stopped working and whether it will spread to the other channels (I don't think so, but while I know how to hook up and calibrate audio gear, I'm not skilled in taking apart an amp and fixing its innards). Still, my wife appreciated my ability to stave off "an expensive Christmas gift" (will leave me in better stead in a few years when I do the same thing as I did last time--upgrade the "cave" AVR and move the current one upstairs).
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

happy to hear you managed to creatively route a temporary solution!
    hope it holds up for the necessary period of coffer building.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
      happy to hear you managed to creatively route a temporary solution!
      hope it holds up for the necessary period of coffer building.
      As does my wallet.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"