X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blazar
    • Feb 2004

1098 channel dropouts and dsp processor failures: FIXED

All the complaints I had about the rsp1098 in terms of the center channel dropping out and occasionally all 5 channels dropping out have dissapeared.

The rotel service fixed it, presumably by adding a bunch of shielding in between the video and audio parts of the gear.

To be honest, this is the BIGGEST indication for me that video gear DOES NOT BELONG in audio equipment. This ever advancing drive to add more and more video crap inside high end audio gear is not necessarily a good thing.

I am liking more and more Bryston 1.7's concept of NO video crap inside the preamp, and having a matching video switcher.

Imagine if all Rotel Gear lost the crappy video switching and replaced it with a outboard top notch video switcher with DVI, component, S-video, and composite. You could throw in an upscaler on higher end versions and be done with it.

I stopped connecting my dvd to the rotel except for TFT display. I run it straight to the TV with better results anyway. The video section of my unit goes pretty much unused.
    Blazar!
    (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

Totally agree there... I run the DVD direct to the TV... it made a noticeable improvement on the 1066... however, with the 1098, it makes less of a difference... but I still run the DVD direct... however, because I also have an XBOX, satelite, etc... by NECESSITY, I have to use the Rotel switching... most TV's and projectors only have 2 Component inputs... I guess the only other alternative is the outboard video switcher with scaler you refer too...

Comment

• NHT
      • Mar 2004

I have the same problem with my new 1098. When Im watching a dvd and I make any kind of function, like lets say skip to another channel, the sound drops and the 1098 clicks. Are you referring to the clicking noise every time a function is made? This happens when I do video switching also. Its just always clicking its kind of annoying. Is this normal? How did Rotel fix it for you?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

NHT what you're referring to is your source components not continuing to send an audio signal during those channel changes etc. As such your 1098 losses the signal, it's mechanical relays do their thing, you hear clicking. Older DVD players and cable/sattelite box's are the biggest culprits.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• will1066
          • Aug 2003

Any word if Rotel is addressing the cable/satellite part of this clicking issue for its next generation of models?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"