X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Levitator
    • Jul 2015

Best set up for B&W Diamond speakers

Hi all

First post here and on a steep learning curve in the world of audio!

I purchased some 803 Diamonds a few months ago and have really been enjoying them, particularly as the hours build on them. In addition to these I have a set of 805 Diamonds and DB1. The plan is to use the 805's for surrounds and 803's up front along with a CM2 centre. I also have a Linn Sneaky DAC for digital music.

Component wise is where I'm looking for guidance, although I also recognise that the CM2 isn't the ideal match alongside the 803's. I have a NAD375BEE which punches above its weight and did well with the 805's. With the 803's I feel the NAD is unfortunately underdone...

My HT is run through a Denon AVR-X4000. Usage between 2 channel and Home Theatre is around 50/50. My thinking at this point (based on prioritising where the $'s go) is to keep the Denon for HT purposes and offload the NAD in favour of a better power AMP. Mac and Classe, purely based on research at this stage, are the front runners but I am also conscious of potentially upgrading speakers down the track. Subject to listening, the MC302 seems like a good match as does the Classe CA2300.

I am relatively new to the audio world and would really value any suggestions, particularly from those that have similar speaker arrangements.

Thanks!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

This is so dependent on where your priorities are, and also what your source components are. When you get into speakers with beryllium or diamond domes, as long as everything else in the system is done right (crossover), your limitations on high frequency quality most often will be with your digital source components, unless you're at a fairly high level. What are you using? And even if your usage for HT and music is 50/50, where are your priorities? In your shoes, I would focus on setting up the system with a 2 channel music bypass, and as good a digital source setup as I could afford- the NAD you have is a fine performer for what it costs- as another forum member recently reported with regards to some system upgrades after upgrading his speakers, the new DAC was by far the biggest improvement. In that case it was an NAD M51. Another one to consider if you can afford a bit more is an AURALiC VEGA.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Levitator
      • Jul 2015

Thanks for your reply...I currently use a NAD C546BEE for CD's and a Linn Sneaky system for digital music. If I were to prioritise it would lean toward music, having said that we also watch quite a lot of movies in the same room. Not sure what your thoughts are on these sources?

I was thinking along the lines of focusing on getting the music right first (I.e. firstly an improved amplifier to power the 803's) and then looking at HT down the track when $'s are available. This was also on the basis that running separates for music is a better way to go rather than bundling everything into a quality multi-channel amp.

To save some $'s I've been contemplating an integrated amplifier (e.g. Mac MA7900) rather than separate pre/power amps - interested in your thoughts on this? Any additional feedback would be valuable.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"