X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBibber
    • Jan 2010

Denon AVR-4311 + 2 ATOLL AM200 (mono) for B&W 803S Front

Hi,

The time has come to upgrade my current AV Receiver (Denon AVR3802). My Budget is around 2500 €.

My Actual combination is Denon AVR3802 + 2xATOLL AM-200 (mono) to feed my B&W 803S. The internal amp section of the Denon AVR3802 is feeding the B&W matrix HTM as center & 2x B&W 805 rear channels

I use my system 80% for stereo and 20% for HT.

I thought of going to the Denon AVR4311 because of the pre-amp mode and the possibility of streaming music over my network (iTunes airport possibility or DLNA) because my entire music collection is digitalized within iTunes Lossless format.

I already auditioned the Denon 3311 with 2xATOLL AM200 + B&W 803 Diamond using the original CD (played on ATOLL CD200 in analogue & digital connection) and the EAC rip in FLAC.

The reproduction with the Atoll CD-200 in analogue mode was very revealing but I was completely impressed with the openess and dynamics that the digital copy (on USB stick) had over the original CD with the 'audiophile' CD player.

Has anybody other suggestions (for a 2500 € budget) ?

For me is the network (airplay) possibility or DLNA streaming and the pre-out section important as well as (close to) audiophile stereo reproduction.

Thanks in advance for any hints or tips.
    Last edited by BBibber; 22 August 2011, 12:25 Monday.
  • BBibber
    • Jan 2010

This thread my be closed since I posted my question in the "Club B & W Speakers"

Thanks.

Comment

• HDBLU
      • Jul 2008

The 4311 is your best bet. But I bought the Onkyo 3008 and love it the 3008 has better DAC then the 4311 so have a look around first and demo them first.
      2ch Setup
      Krix Neupohonix
      Musical Fidelity M6i
      Musical Fidelity M6CDP
      Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
      MIT

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

I'm gonna suggest a different route. I'd look at a Pioneer Elite SC-57. I feel they are a much better sounding receiver as well as being used as a preamp over Denon.
        You will have better dynamics , cleaner sound , more depth and closer to a dedicated preamp overall sound quality with all the updated features of todays higher end receivers.
        If you can swing it and want to do a VS then bring them both home and judge them off of sound quality and necessary features you want / need.
        Airplay is a huge part of Pioneer Elite as Apple and Pioneer have been working together for many years . Pioneer was the first to have a iPod direct connection and on screen menu system. You also get IP control over main zone as well as zone 2 and 3. This receiver is fantastic and I think it's the best under 2500.00 receiver on the market bar none.
        Using the Gen 3 D amps for the center and rear channels you are in for a treat. They will sound light years better then your 3802 did. I know everything about the 3802 as I owned one years ago and have Installed all Denon receivers for many years including all the flagships.
        Good luck with your upgrade. I probably would go with Rotel Separates with there new Class D amps but the Rotel preamp are stripped of all cool features of todays market. You however can get around all that with external devices. If you want to know more about options instead of jumping right into a receiver , your level of speakers do require excellent power and a killer preamp to hear what they really can do. It's worth the time and effort to explore all options before making a quick upgrade which you seriously need. The 3802 should be in a museum somewhere as a piece of history to show how we got where we are today. Denon 380X series paved the way to open up the market for some of the coolest products.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

How's the Pioneer more of a dedicated pre-amp? The 4311ci can have all it's internal amps turned off and run as a real pre-amp.

Comment

• BBibber
            • Jan 2010

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice. In the meantime I have bought the Denon AVR-4311.

The sound is really fantastic.

The only negative point is that the Airplay upgrade did not go as planned (the upgrade did not function, I can see it in iTunes but not connect to it) and I returned the unit back to the dealer who is going to look for a solution (he tried it too but it did also not function).

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"