X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Audiophiles love DSD, but hate Class D

"... the prevailing opinion seems to be that DSD is audiophile-grade technology, while Class D is not". http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-d...marketing.html

What do you think?
    Last edited by mjb; 03 March 2015, 05:58 Tuesday. Reason: fixed link
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mjb
    "... the prevailing opinion seems to be that DSD is audiophile-grade technology, while Class D is not". http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-d...marketing.html

What do you think?
    I think that I wasted 10 minutes trying to describe why the posting is pointless. No data. Careless terminology.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

lol, I think you're right! Sorry about that.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Link dead now
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Idk why all the hate for Class D.

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Hdale85
            Idk why all the hate for Class D.
            I agree!
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Probably bad first impressions coupled with an echo chamber reinforcement. IIRC, reviews of the earliest models were less than stellar and not entirely without reason. However, even though the amplifiers improved, first impressions are very hard to overcome. Today's reviewers seem much more split on the issue with many more being favorable to class D amplification. But in today's audio media world, and that includes online commentary from readers, the echo chamber effect is not to be overlooked. One should not overgeneralize, as that is always dangerous and misleading, but it is clear that in any situation where opinion is called for, the proliferation of outlets for those opinions has created the echo chamber effect. This applies not only to audio but to just about any form of opinion; politics, audio and visual gear, sports, history, music, popular culture, and on and on.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Earlier Class D wasn't that great for sure, current stuff can be rather spectacular though with the right setup.

I just upgraded my receiver to a Pioneer model that has Class D modules and it's one of the only receiver lines on the market that can actually do their rated power all channels driven, on top of that it sounds fantastic for a receiver.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Solid state amps faced the same acceptance hurdles early on from the tube only crowd. Things got better (tube amps are certainly still a valid choice and I plan to put a tube based setup together when funds and space allow but solid state is undeniably capable of excellence).

In the end, if the amp allows us to enjoy the music, does the type of amp matter quite so much?

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

In my opinion it does not, as long as it's uncolored, low noise floor, and so on I couldn't care less about what type of amp it is.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2007

I know some very high end class D amps have received glowing reviews.Other than a my small Dayton T amp, I haven't had much experience listening to switching amps. The little Dayton could sound really musical though with a sensitive load.

Class D is very load dependent though, because of it's output filter that filters out the high frequency switching noise. With a high load resistance makes the filter is less effective and you potentially get more noise. But, with high enough switching speeds may not be an issue.
                      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Well, considering the premise of this post (silly or not, depending on who you talk to), then I am not an audiophile, but perhaps a turnip? Though I've had some pretty expensive DSD gear in the past, I'm more enamored of high resolution PCM these days- based on what I hear, and what can be measured. Always potentially subject to change.

Right now, I'd have to say the best amp I own is Class D, the cute little NAD M22. Oodles of resolution all across the frequency range, without any edginess or grunge in my system. (NAD M50 music server, DCD-8 re-clocker with external rubidium reference clock TotalDAC-D1 Dual, Cambridge Audio 851e preamp, and my Ardents. Now I'm rather curious to hear these with the Isiris, but they're down for some tweaks and updates.

And I've still got an nCore 400 pair of mono blocks to finish building... my interest in finding time to get that done has been moderate, but now it's cranked up a notch or two after spending time listening with the M22.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"