X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Supernova
    • Mar 2017

Class D

I see a lot of people have the hate on for Class D amplifiers in various forums. I have been looking into nCore NC500's or Pascal's and was curious why it's such a touchy subject. I have some A/B amps and a class D amp and like them both. I've never heard a class A or tube amp. I've read somewhere the class D takes a sign wave and turns it into essentially a square wave to amplify the volume and then back into a signwave and therefor the original sound is not the same. I know this is extremely simplified explanation and not even close to the entire picture, but the general idea.

Can anyway point to some very good sources that really break down the differences in the amps? Does class D really change the source? I thought I'd post in these forums because people seem to not be quite as hostile to the subject and I've seen some very good write-ups and analysis on various products.

Cheers

Peter
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

A lot of (most?) early Class D amps sounded awful because they were cheap amps. If you spent the money there were good ones out there. That certainly wasn't unique to Class D.I have a .pdf that explains it pretty well, but the 260 kb file exceeds the attachment limit of the forum. Maybe a mod can help me out on this?
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Supernova
      • Mar 2017

Tried emailing you but didn't get through, Lee. Sent you a PM as well.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Didn't get a PM. I'll check with a mod.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Alaric, your email address is bouncing messages back. You should update your profile to a current email address.

I'll bump the attachment size limit up, once I figure out how. EDIT: Ok, it's now 2 MB per attachment. This forum has been around a while, and 10 years ago the limits were reasonable. Now, not so much.

Comment

• Supernova
            • Mar 2017

Cool... I thought the uploading pictures features was a bit archaic, but no biggie.

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

class_d.pdf

We'll try this, and I'll get on the email issue.

Edit: Email fixed. The forum had my old one. Doh!
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"