X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Vivid Audio Giya speaker presentation - very interesting

A few weeks ago I attended a presentation introducing the Vivid Audio Giya 1 and Giya 3 speakers using Devialet amplification and dCS Vivaldi source (CD/SACD Transport, Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC), Master Clock and Upsampler).

The presentation was very interesting. Everything about these speakers - the drivers and the cabinet have been re-engineered from the ground up - so much so that the crossovers do not need to correct anything. There is zero cabinet resonance. Sound was a bit muddled as there were too many people in the room but the transparency and detail were breathtaking.

The theoretical question: If I were 30 years younger, would these be a goal worth striving for?

Maybe. I don't know!

I suppose that I've reached the point where I'm satisfied with what I have. It has taken quite a lot of research and upgrades to reach this point. There will always be improvement and progress and it's fun to try to keep up with this in terms of information gathering. What is especially interesting is that Laurence Dickie, the chief design engineer behind these Vivid speakers was directly responsible for most of the engineering behind the B&W 800 series speakers (when he worked for B&W).

Interesting reads:

and

Attached Files
    Last edited by ShadowZA; 12 November 2014, 03:44 Wednesday.
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I seem to have found my sweet spot (for music listening) to be in the form of B&W's first generation diamond tweeter technology - I am able to enjoy 2 to 3 hour listening sessions with no fatigue, only pure musical enjoyment (focusing on the music itself). Could I do this with the Giya's? I don't know.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Wouldn't it be nice if you could have them send you speakers to keep for a month or two and demo and see what you exactly like..... Or I mean to be someone that gets to review these for a living and can hear all the stuff.

I'd definitely like to hear these and the Devialets.... I'm also very curious in those as well!

After reading everything about them... they are definitely modeled completely after the Nautilus speakers...so you can see all of his thoughts and designs come from that form of thinking of loudspeakers... which after hearing the Nautilus I have to completely agree with.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ShadowZA
        A few weeks ago I attended a presentation introducing the Vivid Audio Giya 1 and Giya 3 speakers using Devialet amplification and dCS Paganini source (CD/SACD Transport, Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC), Master Clock and Upsampler).

The presentation was very interesting. Everything about these speakers - the drivers and the cabinet have been re-engineered from the ground up - so much so that the crossovers do not need to correct anything. There is zero cabinet resonance. Sound was a bit muddled as there were too many people in the room but the transparency and detail were breathtaking.
        Hey Shadow, you should hear the Devialet on the Diamonds. I did for almost a week. :W
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

The Vivids have a good rep and are well designed from what I read, though I haven't ever had a chance to listen to them.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
            Hey Shadow, you should hear the Devialet on the Diamonds. I did for almost a week. :W
            I'd love to know your impressions, James. I nurture a feel that this could be the direction that audiophile amplification could or maybe should head towards - if the intention is to save energy and move away from solid state. I must confess, although I have not heard them since the Giya presentation, I do ponder whether they would be on a "head-hunting" list if I were 30 years younger.

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Ever since I first read about the Devialet I have been V interested in it.

Still waiting for a chance to hear one.

I normally find 'one-box' solutions a mass of committee driven compromise.....
              However, I have yet to hear anything about the Devialet that would support similar expectation.
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"