X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Listening impressions of some interesting drivers

Hey everyone, long time no see!! A friend of mine is outfitting a home theater and the speakers are falling to me to decide. Given the budget and goals we have settled on going with bookshelf size speakers all around, matched to 3 or 4 Peerless XLS 12" subs. So I rounded up some drivers and set to work on some designs and thought I'd share what I found. This all very subjective, so don't shoot the messenger, and keep in mind it is only my own perception and tastes expressed.

The woofers are the Zaph ZA14 and Scanspeak Discovery SS15. Tweeters are Peerless HDS, Dayton RS28A, SEAS T25C001, and Vifa NE19VTC. Since there are some very good commercial designs in this price range I picked two: the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 and Kef Q100. Actually the Kef was not the retail speaker, but the raw driver, more on that later. The DIY designs all used the Dayton .38cf cabinets with the same driver layout so baffle diffraction would be the same. I used the minidsp for crossover work, and I have to say this is an invaluable tool for prototyping and quickly comparing changes. The other key thing is these are comparisons between single speakers in mono, since I would need 4 of everything instead of 2 of everything to do direct A/B comparisons if I wanted to do it in stereo. I'm not sure how listening in mono may change the sound, so keep that in mind. I used a 2khz crossover for the RS28A, HDS, and T25C001, but as I've found in the past I like the HDS a bit higher, so it was at 2.3khz for the final reviews below. The NE19VTC was at 3khz. I've also been doing final voicing on my Bosebuster v2 during this time and those made it apparent the NE19 likes to be crossed a bit higher than 3khz to get the cleanest sound. The grittiness or spittiness goes away very quickly above 3khz and I'm finding 3.3khz-3.5khz is probably the sweet spot. Anyway for this comparo matched with the SS15 they were at 3khz, so there are some improvements to be made later. For the Kef I used a LR4 2.5khz crossover to match the retail speaker. Where they might differ is BSC. I basically matched all the speakers to be basically the same, about 4db of BSC. I've heard the retail Kef can sound a bit lightweight, so it is possible they use less BSC, and they may not sound exactly like my version. All speakers were level matched from 200-10000hz.

I started with comparing the HDS/ZA14 versus the HDS/SS15, so basically just comparing the woofer. At 2khz these sound near identical, I mean it was really hard to pick out a difference. And this is even with turning off the tweeter to just listen to the woofer, a very enlightening thing to do, especially with tweeters. It really helped to narrow down which driver was misbehaving at times. I would find later the differences between these woofers become more obvious as you go up in XO frequency, with the ZA14 getting a bit forward and shouty by 3khz. But at 2-2.3khz, near identical. After a lot of switching back and forth my impression was that the ZA14 was just a touch more composed in the middle/upper midrange, and so this is the woofer I used when comparing the HDS, RS28A, and T25C001 to each other. Both ZA14 and SS15 had refined if not voluminous bass. Both stayed pretty composed when the cone really got moving, with maybe a slight nod to the ZA14 for being better behaved, but this is probably not much of a distinction since they both were well behaved right until they started bottoming at about the same point. So with the woofer decided on to the tweeters.

HDS/ZA14 vs RS28A/ZA14
    I felt the RS28A was very clean and clear, but a bit more forward and harder or "clinical", while the HDS was more open, natural and spacious - vocals and many instruments just sound more real and present. The RS28A is very well behaved, probably more than any other tweeter I've used since the Scanpeak 9800 (which I've heard was the "inspiration" for Usher when making the RS28A style tweeter). The HDS will occasionally misbehave: there is some area on the low end of its range that will occasionally jump out at you. Not crossing too low helps a lot, but I really need to get around to using a waveguide to see if I can finally solve it, because to me the HDS is otherwise the best sounding tweeter here. Still both of these are very good tweeters, and if it sounds like I'm being a little hard on the RS28A with it being a bit harder or forward, it is only in comparison to the HDS in quick A/B switching, it is not a hard or forward tweeter in an absolute sense.

HDS/ZA14 vs T25C001/ZA14
    These tweeters sound REALLY similar. In the end I felt the HDS was just a squidge more natural and spacious, while the T25C001 was a better behaved in that area the HDS isn't, but a bit harder and less spacious. I don't want to overdo the differences here though, they are very similar. If I can solve or just accept the occasional HDS misbehavior I'd go with it, if not the SEAS is probably the least troublesome pick while sounding much the same as the HDS in all the ways I really like about that tweeter.

I also compared the SS15 with the above tweeters versus the ZA14 versions, but as I said there just isn't much difference at this crossover point so I won't bother with any impressions. Now that I found a good combo in the HDS/ZA14 I compared it to the Kef Q100.

HDS/ZA14 vs Kef Q100
    This Kef is sort of a heartbreaker. It does some things SO well, and than it falters a bit. First the midrange and lower treble are really good: coherent and solid. Nothing wanders back and forth between tweeter and woofer. More forward than anything else here (due to the solid upper midrange and possibly the directivity), and most of the time this was a good thing: vocals are very clear and real, solid. Instruments in that area are similarly clear and solid. It was really very different in presentation from the other speakers in this regard. Usually a big, solid image. But...the forwardness could really get "in-your-face" at times. The tweeter is a bit rolled off in the "sparkle" area, and can get gritty when pushed. The treble is unrefined compared to most others here. Imaging is very good, but spaciousness was not that great, it could often sound small and speaker-like for lack of a better term on some music that didn't have much content in that prominent upper midrange area. Besides a bit of tweeter grittiness, it could also get congested and closed or "hooded" sounding. The HDS/ZA14 in comparison was more relaxed and refined. More spacious and more "3D" like imaging. More musical and forgiving. If it sounds like the HDS/ZA14 was hugely superior speaker, well it was, except in those areas I noted on the Kef, where it really was no comparison. I think if the Kef woofer breakup could be better controlled or brought down in level, and the tweeter brought to the level of some here, its weaknesses would melt away and you would be left with a very clear, and realistic sounding speaker with big, excellent imaging. If appears the Kef LS50 made improvements in exactly these areas, and they may very well be the speaker to have, doing some important things much better than most DIY designs.

HDS/ZA14 vs Wharfedale 10.1
    The first thing I noticed about the 10.1 is how "immediate" and "present" it was. I really like this in a speaker. Combined with a warmer character the music is very involving and enjoyable, just pulling you in. Percussion was very clear and lifelike, the shimmer and sparkle regions are prominent and pleasing. Total lack of sibilance. Overall a very pleasant, well behaved speaker. Except...a hint of constant graininess in the treble. Nothing that ever really annoys you, just overall not as refined and clear as teh HDS, RS28A, or T25C001. Could get a bit congested and honky on more complex material or higher volumes. Sounded smaller and more speakerlike in comparison to the HDS/ZA14. The HDS/ZA14 on the other hand was simply smoother, more refined treble. More spacious and bigger image. Cleaner, calmer, and more composed everywhere. The bass stronger than the 10.1, and much more refined, the 10.1 could get a bit flabby in this area. On the other hand it lacked that immediacy and presence of the 10.1, sounding more detached and colder, maybe harder, and so for all its refinement and clarity, it lost some emotion and musicality to the 10.1

HDS/ZA14 vs NE19VTC/SS15
    I must say the NE19/SS15 combo surprised me. But then I made this speaker because I suspect that sometimes the push to lower tweeter crossovers to better match woofer directivity results in a less pleasing speaker,and I wanted to test this out. The problem as we all know is the prominent dip/hump in the power response with a typical speaker. IMHO waveguides are the way to solve this, but the fact is this is not very realistic for most DIY'ers, or at least common yet. Sans waveguide, I'm not always convinced pushing the tweeter lower is always the best way to deal with the dip/hump. Often the speaker can become forward and harder. I suspect it may be because we still have a hump, but now we are pushing it down into the 2khz area where the ear is very sensitive. I wanted to push that hump up in frequency. There will be other tradeoffs I think, in clarity and other aspects, but I was betting the overall sound be a pleasing speaker, versus a clear but hard one. And that is pretty much what I got. They ended up having close (but not quite) the same immediacy and presence of the Wharfedale, similarly lush sounding, though I wouldn't say too warm. Just a musical, involving, pleasing speaker, that pulled you in. The HDS/ZA14 in comparison sounded more distant, and sometimes "flatter" somehow, less involving. OTOH it had a bigger and more 3D soundstage, with smoother and cleaner treble.

NE19VTC/SS15 vs Wharfedale 10.1
    The NE19VTC/SS15 was like a Wharfedale 10.1 on steroids. Presence and immediacy are almost (but not quite) as good as teh Wharfedale, but with a much cleaner midrange and treble. More spacious and 3D than the Wharfedale. And the bass of the SS15 was much stronger and more refined. While the Wharfedale always has that immediacy and warmth, in comparison it just sounded smaller, chesty, grainier/hashier. Better bells and sparkle on the NE19VTC also.

NE19VTC/SS15 vs Kef Q100
    Again the strong points of the Kef, coherent, solid midrange/lower treble, solid imaging with usually big lifelike image (when content is in that upper midrange/lower treble area) are pretty unbeatable. Clear vocals are usually another plus. The NE19VTC/SS15 just doesn't have the coherence or forward-ish clarity. But its overall presentation was more relaxed, more musical, mostly better refined treble. Doesn't congest and instruments sound more pleasing. Vocals are not as big and clear as the Kef, but often they are more pleasing.

So takeaways...if I could have the coherence and prominent/solid midrange of the Kef, the immediacy and presence musicality of the Wharfedale or NE19VTC/SS15, and the overall refinement and clarity of the HDS/ZA14, well that would about be the perfect speaker. I think the DIY speakers acquitted themselves well, but the retail designs did some important things very well too. I could see someone else listening to these same speakers and - other than the more refined and cleaner treble/upper midrange of the DIY designs - really liking the retail designs for their strengths. In this price range, I could easily recommend either the Kef or Wharfedale to friends or family that wanted to buy a very good speaker for a reasonable price. And they are good speakers, at this price ($350/pr for the Wharfedale and $450/pr for the Kef) it is hard justify spending about the same money and getting covered in sawdust for a not hugely superior DIY design.

The NE19VTC/SS15 combo was a very pleasant surprise. I have a couple waveguides from Dave P. that I want to try to see how well behaved I can get that NE19VTC. I also have the new RS150P on the way and intend to see if it can replace the SS15 sonically. If so a NE19VTC (with or without WG) and RS150P combo could be a very enjoyable and cheap design, even if it is not quite as refined as the HDS/ZA14. I would like to hear some Kef LS50's If they can improve on the slight weaknesses of teh Q100, they could be VERY VERY good. I'm also almost done auditioning the different NE19 versions on my Bosebuster v2 design and I'll post those differences soon. I'll have the Kef Q100 drivers and Wharfedale 10.1's (only took one out of the box!) on sale soon in the classified forum
    Last edited by augerpro; 28 December 2013, 17:47 Saturday.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Thanks for sharing! That's quite a write-up.

It would be interesting to see where the RS28F lands - to my ear it's slightly less clinical than the A without losing anything else - I can't be sure (I've not A/B'd them) but I think it may be slightly more low level detail - or what passes for low level detail. Never know if it's not just nice distortion...
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• agrippa
      • Dec 2005

Thank you for the write up.
      Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
      Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• jim1961
        • Nov 2012

Ive got the T25C001 in my speaker. I thought it a little brittle compared my Dynaudio d21's. Oddly, they sounded noticably better after getting a new DAC. So maybe they are more revealing than the d21's? Modified the speaker crossover to lower the 4-6K output a bit (-2db) and they sweetened up even more.

So my experience would say their picky. "Digital War" CD's (compressed, boosted top end, no-noised, brickwalled, ect...) sound fair/poor on these tweeters. But very good masterings sound very nice. Their vertical imaging is surprising at times. They don't have any "softening" in their presentation that the d21's obviously do.
        Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

• augerpro
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2006

So I've been listening to the SB26STCN and LD22C, both mated to the 15cm Scan Discovery woofer, for the last couple days. Started auditioning at 2.8khz LR4. Both are very good, and I'm not sure which I like better-or could live with longer-but I'm starting to lean toward the SB26STCN. It is CLEAR. The phrase 'bell-like clarity" come to mind. Nice presence, sparkle and tone. The LD22C is drier. Gives up some clarity and tone to the SB26STCN, but I think over time is the more non-fatiguing sound. And that is where I'm stuck. The SB26STCN will definitely impress out of the gate with its clarity and big image, but sometimes it seems too much in my lively room. The LD22C's drier/hazier sound would never fatigue. I should mention these qualities are relative to each other (with the exception of the big clarity of the SB) and not so much absolute qualities. IOW no one should take this as the LD22C is not a detailed or clear tweeter. It is. Just not like the SB. Both are very well behaved, with no strained or shriek sound that many small format with non-existent chambers have. They behave very well really. When they are pushed to misbehave, the SB starts to get very forward, the LD22C gets busy sounding with some hash/strain, but both are graceful compared to many tweeters. No scream or shriek. No sizzle.

Comparing to the HDS (at 2.8khz still), the HDS seems sort of a middle ground between the two. Which would be perfect to me, although it has its own misbehaviors too. A slightly strained or pinched sound on some material. Dropping to 2.4khz on all tweeters and things change considerably. The BIG CLARITY of the SB is indeed making me cringe when I switch back and forth. The HDS comes into its own compared with the other two as being big and clear like the other two, but more refined and well behaved. The LD22C sounds like it is working harder, getting a little busy.

So right now I'm narrowing in on where the tweeters like to be crossed, and do some massaging of the SB response to see if I can tame it a bit without losing its great clarity and tone. I think an experienced designer willing to tweak may in the end prefer the SB. Newer designers who want to measure, design for flat, and be done will love the CSS LD22C. Both are a bargain.
          There are definitely some designs that will result from these excellent drivers. I've pretty much finalized the final baffle designs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0152.webp
Views:	87
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	937826

I also started comparing the NE19 on a waveguide. No definitive opinion yet, the sound was so different. At first I thought the WG version was messed up somehow because the loudness was quite different, but the impedance and response looked ok. I bumped the level up 2dB and suddenly they sounded much better. Switching back and forth, the flat baffle is open and spacious, the WG sounded little. More switching, the WG sounds more relaxed and more dynamic, but still sort of closed in, while the flat baffle is spacious, but splashy. More switching and more music the WG is definitely more controlled, and integrates well with the woofer, the flat baffle sometimes sounds like separate drivers playing sound. And that is about where my auditioning has progressed. The WG has some real pluses, but the spaciousness is a minus right now, so I can't say which I like better. However, I am still auditioning these in mono, my experience with more controlled directivity designs tells me that things might change a lot with the spaciousness when run in stereo. When you sit in the sweet spot of a high-ish DI design the image really snaps into focus and size, more so than conventional designs where all that treble/upper midrange is getting thrown wide.

Comparing the Scan Discovery 15W to the SB Acoustics SB15NRX is interesting. They both sound very excellent so far LR4 @ 2.8khz. I find the breakup of the SB to be not so benign, I would say it is required to suppress that breakup, otherwise a hissy “shh” sound can get through on some material, and at higher volumes. After I programmed a notch (just to match the Scan roll off, not as a bottomless sink) for that it was much better, but still there a bit, probably harmonic distortion tickling that area. The bass is more solid and more defined versus the Scan. I think the Scan is just a bit sweeter and somehow more 3D. The SB sounds more consistent from one song to the next, sometimes the Scan sounds like the clearly better driver, then the next song it just doesn’t. I really go back and forth on which I like better. If it was for a design without a sub I think the SB is a no-brainer – provided the breakup is really sunk. As a mid I think I’d probably go with the Scan. Really makes me wonder how the pure mid 15M Discovery with the phase plug is.
          The Aurum Cantus AST2560 has just arrived to see if I like the sound well enough for a 3-way I’m building right now. Also the Silverflute 14cm is on the for a hopefully excellent match with the SB26STCN.
          Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 09:33 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
          ~Brandon 8O
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by cjd
            Thanks for sharing! That's quite a write-up.

It would be interesting to see where the RS28F lands - to my ear it's slightly less clinical than the A without losing anything else - I can't be sure (I've not A/B'd them) but I think it may be slightly more low level detail - or what passes for low level detail. Never know if it's not just nice distortion...
            I was thinking of using the RS28A with a waveguide and 8" pro driver. There are a couple guys (Pete S and Dave P) that are doing that. I may just build one of their designs just to see what it is like. Easier than me doing all the work and endlessly tweaking
            ~Brandon 8O
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Had a chance to play with the Aurum Cantus AST2560 air motion tweeter. I took the felt off the back, built small enclosure behind maybe 2" deep, and filled it with that denim stuffing from HD. Here is the response on 8" x 14" baffle from the Dayton .38cf cabinet that I've been using:

Name:	AST2560.webp
Views:	62
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	937827

The dip at 3khz and peak at 4-5khz is baffle diffraction and will be easily corrected on a baffle for a final design. I've only been able to compare to the Peerless HDS, both crossing 2.5khz LR4 and matched to the Scan Disco woofer I've been using (and growing very fond of). These are very well behaved tweeters. No weird resonances, no sibilance or splashiness, just very calm. Decently open sounding. I think it gives up a bit of musicality *at times* to the HDS, but only in the areas where the HDS excels past everything I've heard anyway: bells, plucked strings, *some* female vocals and piano. But everywhere the HDS falls short, the AST2560 is just playing along calmly. Integrates well with the woofer and doesn't bring attention to itself. I would say better behaved than maybe even the RS28A, but more open and dry sounding.

Played with the Silverflute 14cm to pair with the SB26STCN and I don't think there is a better sounding woofer for <$50. Really good, just open, smooth, and with good bass. Yeah high frequency non-linear distortion ultimately limits it, but not easily, and not as much as you'd think versus much higher priced woofers like the SB 15NRX. Definitely going to have a cheap design coming with this woofer for friends dipping their toes into good audio.

Using the SB SB26STCN tweeter with the Fountek FR88 in my Bosebuster sequel is a done deal. Love it. You would think these would only be good at easy listening music while hard rock or metal would bring them to their knees, but playing some Tool or NIN really brings these little buggers alive!! I have them crossed to Silverflute 8" subs that impress the hell out of me for 12" cubes. I'll finish the documentation and publish that if anyone is interested.

I tried the poly cone SB15MFC for the heck of it to see how it compares to the paper version I already reviewed above. I like it better than the paper. It is a bit more liquid and fuller sounding, and before you write that off as detail killing warmth, I think it actually has a slightly more detailed midrange than the paper. OTOH the paper is just a bit better behaved on the high notes, but the presentation is just flatter and less real. Now these are aren't huge differences, I'm playing music for hours while switching back and forth via minidsp, so it is easier to the tell the difference. I had pretty much decided to go with the Scan Disco over the paper SB15NRX for musicality, but with this poly SB having some of those same strengths - maybe 1/3 of the way from the paper NRX to the Scan Disco- it makes the choice much harder since with the SB I'll also gain stronger and more defined bass than the Disco. More investigation needed there.

Only had about 30 minutes to listen to the B&C 8CXN51 coaxial driver. I love these pro drivers, just great percussion and liveliness. The tweeter seems a lot like other B&C polyamide CD's, which is to say at or near the top of the heap. But still not as well behaved or smooth as a really good hifi dome. I think the sweet spot might be 8" pro woofers matched with good hifi domes on waveguides. But still haven't spent enough time to see where to cross, or where to smooth the response so this is still very much a work in progress and I have high hopes.
              Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 09:34 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
              ~Brandon 8O
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Selling a lot of stuff if you guys are interested: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ore-cool-stuff
                ~Brandon 8O
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• dwk
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
                  Selling a lot of stuff if you guys are interested: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ore-cool-stuff
                  oooo. I may be seriously interested in the Statement Monitor setup. I'm in Denver as well, so I'd be interested in the cabs. PM sent.

BTW - I'm also rather interested in how the BBv2 turns out. I was ready to build these when you first took a shot at them several years ago. Not sure I have a need/application, but there are a couple spots in our new and much bigger house that they may work.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Thanks for all the updates and feedback!
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Good to hear on the AST2560 - I'll be using that (I think that's the one) paired with the Neo8 and 4 SB ~7" mid-woofers when I get to that project.

I've been modeling the FR88EX and trying to figure out how to justify building a horn to get it flat to 40Hz... Only needs about 19 cubic feet inside the horn... I figure it should be do-able on a spiral in a reasonable size - say 1' wide and a net 4x6' box... tiny! (compared to the dipoles I'm working on...) half liter behind the driver, 14cm throat, exit at 7000cm on a simple exponential horn. Still best on a wall, -3dB around 40Hz.

C

Comment

• augerpro
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2006

You must be in my head Chris! I was thinking of having Dave Pellegrene fab a horn for the FR88 for a fullrange, maybe even near field, monitor just for fun. If you do go that route though, I would highly suggest using the Vifa TC9 that Zaph tested instead of the FR88. I don't think you'll like the top end of the FR88 when run fullrange, while I've heard nothing but the most positive comments on the TC9 run fullrange.
                        ~Brandon 8O
                        DriverVault
                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

I was thinking I'd cross to that cute little folded membrane tweeter PE has now. I think horns at 19cu/ft are a bit much for nearfield though?

Comment

• augerpro
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2006

Yeah, no, my thinking was much more modest...What are those called again, Geller Horn or something?
                            ~Brandon 8O
                            DriverVault
                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2006

Transducer Labs tweeters are on the way! Will be interesting to see how they compare to the AC AST2560 and Scan HDS (just replaced my Peerless HDS with the Scans on the off chance there has been a modification/improvement). Hope they are a real step up and end up in my 3-way using the TangBand 3" dome mid.

And the final designs that resulted from this thread are being fabbed as we speak, here are about half the baffles:

Name:	IMAG0167.webp
Views:	86
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	937828

Several flavors depending on what my friends decide to do, Silverflute woofer & SB26STCN in MTM, SBA poly cone & SB26STCN in TM and MTM, Scan Disco & HDS in TM and MTM, and possibly SBA poly cone & HDS in TM and/or MTM.
                              Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 09:34 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                              ~Brandon 8O
                              DriverVault
                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2006

So after 5 months I have distilled my experiences in this thread down to some finished designs that I just finished constructing. First is super cheap and easy Silverflute W14 and SB26STCN MTM, using the 4 ohm drivers in series for an easy load:

Name:	IMAG0212.webp
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	937829

For my buddies home theater, SB15MFC woofers and SB26STCN in MTM or TM:

Name:	IMAG0211.webp
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	937830

For my own home theater I'll be using the ScanSpeak Disco 15cm and Scanspeak HDS in TM, here is the MTM:

Name:	IMAG0213.webp
Views:	84
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	937831

I'll also be doing versions of the SB15MFC with the Scanspeak HDS, but no pics yet.

New reference 3-ways for my music room. Peerless Exclusive 8" woofer (I'll also be doing a version with the SB 8"), Transducer Labs tweeter, and a mid to be selected after auditioning: either the TangBand 3" dome or BG Neo8:

Name:	IMAG0214.webp
Views:	84
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	937832

And pending a write up my BoseBuster version 2 are done finally:

Name:	IMAG0215.webp
Views:	108
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	937833
                                Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 09:36 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

You're a busy guy! Nice looking work there, particularly the baffles on your own SS Discovery 15cm + SS HDS! :T
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2006

Thanks Jon! I wanted to get these projects done before summer, since the plan has been to sell the house in the sticks and move into a place downtown - that won't have woodworking facilities. Talked to a realtor today, house goes on the market next week. So done and done! So now my primary focus is the get the Scan + Scan TM done soon, since that will be my home theater/music system in the new place (sold my old Onix home theater to a college kid out at School of Mines, told him to go DIY next time he upgrades).
                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                    DriverVault
                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• dwk
                                      • Apr 2005

Still interested in the BBv2 writeup after all this time. I think I just scored a fairly cheap set of Kef eggs off the bay (for the drivers more than as speakers) which may fill my need for small format projects for a while, though.

Lest you worry, your Statement Monitors are accounting themselves quite well in our living room :-)

Comment

• augerpro
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2006

Assuming Kef didn't prioritize form factor or price over driver quality too much, those eggs should be really good. I like what Kef is doing with their coaxes.
                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                        DriverVault
                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• dwk
                                          • Apr 2005

Well, I'm not entirely sure what I picked up. It's the HTS2001, but it looks like there were 3 different versions of this over the years and I'm not sure what vintage these are. They were never cheap and have been well reviewed, but I'm not expecting them to match the quality of the recent Q series - the improvements in the latest iterations of the drivers appear to be fairly significant. I have a couple ideas that suit the small 4" form-factor though, so providing I can get the time to explore them it should be interesting.

Comment

• augerpro
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2006

Had to take a couple weeks off from these projects to get the house ready to sell. Today I was able to finish off the construction of the last speakers, all ready for measurements this week. The ones below use the Peerless Exclusive 8", but I have an Aurum Cantus AC200/50C2C and SB Acoustics SB23NRX on the way so I can make versions with those for friends.

Name:	IMAG0225.webp
Views:	85
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	937834
                                            Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 09:37 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                            DriverVault
                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Looking very nice- you've got the pictures, now how do they measure and sound? Inquiring minds want to know! :B
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2006

I'm doing measurements for all of these projects this week. Then crossover modeling, which should be quick for most since I've already auditioned prototypes on the stock Dayton cabinet baffles. These 3-ways will be last to be finished since I have myself and some friends waiting for the other designs to be finished so HT's can be built.
                                                ~Brandon 8O
                                                DriverVault
                                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• 5th element
                                                  Supreme Being Moderator
                                                  • Sep 2009

So that's a Neo8 and the 75mm TB mid?
                                                  What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                                                  5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                                                  Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2006

Yep. Aurum Cantus 8" arrived today too, nice woofer.
                                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                                    DriverVault
                                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• 5th element
                                                      Supreme Being Moderator
                                                      • Sep 2009

Judging by driver specs alone, those should be some awesome sounding loudspeakers when you get their xovers sorted!
                                                      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• augerpro
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2006

I hope so. I did a lot more simulating and prototyping in the concept stage so I wouldn't have any of the surprises that have stopped development on prior designs. For example, the baffle just looks like a regular rectangle with chamfer, but there was actually a lot of optimizing going on there. Driver layout was a very fine balance too, hope I made the right choices
                                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                                        DriverVault
                                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• dlneubec
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Brandon,
                                                          Now I see the basis for your Scan Disco 15m to me in my thread at PE regarding mids for my AE TD12H- ?mid? - RAAL 70-10D project. Good stuff!:T I've been looking more closely at it and it looks like a great option, especially for a 3-way. Have you done any measurements of it, particularly off axis? You spoke about a higher XO actually working better than a lower XO by pushing the off axis flare higher in frequency. Where did you end up crossing to the HDS? Did you find you had to go with a high slope on the 15m low pass or do any other treatment to suppress breakup? Based upon your experience, what do you think of the possibility of taking it up to the 2800/3000Hz range required to mate with the 70-10d?

I know Dave P. could put together a WG that would work for the RAAL to better match directivity. He already has one for the 140-15. But I'm leaning toward going without one on this project and retaining the wider dispersion characteristics.

I will also be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Scan Disco 15M compared to the Neo8 and TB75. If you end up with measurements of the TB75, especially off axis, I would love to see those as well.

You sure have been busy!8O
                                                          Dan N.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2006

Hi Dan! I actually used the regular woofer 15W, not the dedicated mid 15M, though they are very closely related which is why I suggested the 15M. Considering the prices of the other drivers you were looking at, I just think the 15M is relatively cheap option that you should at least give a listen to. As a dedicated mid, I think that would leverage the strengths (liquid, 3D midrange) and mitigate the weaknesses (a little rough when pushed), versus other cone drivers in the <$100 range (maybe more). Of course I haven't listened to the Neo8 or TB75 yet, or other high end drivers you've used, so you might find it pedestrian. As far as slopes, it is stupid easy to work with. You don't have to suppress anything other than getting it to hit the target response. The breakup is so well controlled that really doesn't even sound like breakup at all. I think 3000hz is no problem. This assuming of course that the 15W behaves like the 15M, but I have no reason to think it won't.

Crossover point on the HDS is not settled yet, but probably no higher than 2600hz though. Settled on 2800hz for the SB26STCN. Finished all the measurements for these various bookshelf speakers, so final crossover work is next, should be easy since I've already been listening to most of them for this thread, but now they have more optimized baffles.

Was hoping to finish measurements on the 3-way (which I've dubbed Karnak's in homage to the incredible Egyptian temple) today, but looks like I'll need another day. I am extremely happy so far though. A LOT of baffle diffraction modeling, not just for the smoothest response, but a response that will work well with the drivers' response, and the intended crossover points. Not doing this well in the past has caused surprises after the speaker is built, and ultimately caused me to drop the project. Here are the results (6.5ms gate, no smoothing):

TangBand 75-1558SE:

Name:	TB.webp
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	937835

BG Neo8:

Name:	Neo8.webp
Views:	81
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	937836

Transducer Lab N26C:

Name:	TL.webp
Views:	83
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	937837
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 09:38 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                                            DriverVault
                                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• 5th element
                                                              Supreme Being Moderator
                                                              • Sep 2009

Well that's a huge amount of driver overlap there to work with!

I actually considered the 15M to be more of a larger 10F than anything else, it came out a good deal before any of the other disco drivers did. I think we had the 15M for at least 1 year before the rest of the disco series appeared. Compared to the other disco drivers the 15M also has the shorting rings, something that the standard 15W does not, this usually results in a significantly cleaner 3rd harmonic. If I needed a highish sensitivity low cost mid that promised to have great performance I'd give it a try, but at the moment I have absolutely no use for them >.<

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by 5th element
                                                                Well that's a huge amount of driver overlap there to work with!
                                                                Yeah the Neo8 is very extended. Here is the 0-50 degree response of the Neo8 and TB75:

Name:	Neo8response.webp
Views:	82
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	937838

Name:	TB75response.webp
Views:	80
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	937839
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 09:39 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                ~Brandon 8O
                                                                DriverVault
                                                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2006

The Neo8 almost looks like a horn it is so constant directivity. Response flares at 5-6khz though. TB75 looks pretty typical for a dome. Both look like a 2.6khz crossover might be a good place to start.
                                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                                  DriverVault
                                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2006

FINALLY got my BoseBuster sequel done and written up!! I've shortened the name to BBV2 so I don't get any hassle from Bose. Next I'll be finishing the Scan Disco TM and MTM, the other flavors after. My Soma Sonus site is now hosting my projects. Here is copy of that page:

BBV2

A small format sub/satellite system

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0215.webp Views:	0 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	937833

The goal for this project was a small, high quality speaker that was shallow enough to be mounted on wall next to the thin LCD TV’s that are now common. The Fountek FR88EX was perfect for this project, with its low distortion and ability to fit in a truly tiny box (you can get the cones really dancing with little change in character). After several tweeters, I finally settled on the SB Acoustics SB26STCN-C000-4. This tweeter not only measures well, but is subjectively a very clear and open sounding tweeter. Crossover point is 2.8khz @ LR4. Here is the on-axis frequency response:

Click image for larger version  Name:	frequencyresponse.webp Views:	0 Size:	76.0 KB ID:	937840

With reverse polarity to check phase integration:

Click image for larger version  Name:	frequencyresponse_reversepolarity.webp Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	937841

The frequency response measurements consist of a far field measurement with a 6.5ms gate (no smoothing!!), merged to a near field measurement at 300hz, resulting in a quasi-anechoic response. The low frequency ripple is the noise floor of my shop.

Impedance:

Click image for larger version  Name:	impedance.webp Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	937842

Here is the crossover schematic:
                                                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	passive%20XO.png Views:	0 Size:	29.7 KB ID:	937843

Inductors are 18g on the woofer and 20g on the tweeter. The small resistance value shown with each inductor is the resistance of the inductor itself, not a separate resistor.

Baffle layout:
                                                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Baffle.png Views:	0 Size:	8.1 KB ID:	937844

I built them with a depth of 3 ½” (external dimension) for that low profile mounting. However, if I were to put these on stands, or even wall mount next to something other than a super thin TV, I would probably go with a 4 ½” depth at least. Not for the bass (these are sealed), but having the rear baffle too close to the woofer can interfere with the sound quality, and if possible it would be better to get some breathing space for the woofers. Speaking of breathing space, the backside of the front baffle must be chamfered slightly (I used a Dremel):

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0277.webp Views:	0 Size:	41.2 KB ID:	937845

I prefer to line the inside of the box with the denim insulation from Home Depot if possible, or the .75lb/cf sheets from Meniscus Audio. Obviously with a speaker this small I went with an external crossover, with all three front channels in a small box with connections on the outside for speaker wire. Home Depot or Lowes has some nice 16g in-wall 4 conductor wire that is perfect for connecting the crossover box to the speakers. I used Techflex over the wire for a clean look.

There are many very good woofers to use for the subs. In my case I had bought some nice 100w plate amps with boost at 30hz when a speaker manufacturer was getting rid of old stock (the Dayton Audio SA100 would probably be another good candidate), so I wanted to use a reasonably efficient woofer since I didn’t have a huge amount of power, and one that would be the best combination of small box size and extension. Since these would cross around 175-250hz I didn’t really want something with a terrible cone breakup either that could show up as non-linear distortion in the passband. The Silverflute W20RC38-08 was a perfect match for my requirements. Using dual Dayton Audio 8” passive radiators enabled a truly tiny box of only 12”x12”x12 ¾”! Using eleven 3/8” washers on each passive radiator (for an effective 30hz box tuning) and the included 6db boost @ 35hz of the plate amp, enabled really good extension considering the size of the woofer and box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0309.webp Views:	0 Size:	25.0 KB ID:	937846

The following is how I initially integrated the sub and satellites. This is intended to be a quick way to get the system up and running. Obviously there is always a lot more one can do to get the smoothest bass and mid-bass response, and this is only one simple method.

First, I use two subs, one roughly at the foot of each main channel. In this case I tried REW as the measurement software since it’s free and easy to use. I use a mic from Cross Spectrum Labs. I didn’t bother with all the calibration of the measurement setup since we just want to see real-time in-room response for integration. Given that, it is pretty straightforward to setup: just open the RTA window, change the scale to go up to 2khz, 1/6 octave smoothing, select FFT Length 32768, Blackman-Harris 7 window, 8 averages, and that’s it. You might have to open the preferences and set the soundcard output if you get no sound, or the input if the mic doesn’t read anything. I aimed for a 175hz crossover, I’d like to experiment with 200-250hz in the future.

1) First set the levels of each channel (without subs on), I use a Radio Shack meter on A weighted Fast

2) in the AVR set the sub to “LFE+main” (this is on a Marantz, other brands should be similar)

3) set the sub crossover to 250hz

4) set the mains to small and crossover of 80hz

5) starting with just the left channel outputting pink noise (sub off), adjust the crossover until your -6dB point is at roughly 175hz:

Click image for larger version  Name:	R_main.png Views:	0 Size:	39.2 KB ID:	937847

My bass doesn’t appear to drop off quick, but that is due to the noise floor of my apartment being fairly high. Raising the signal will correct this, but I didn’t want to get my neighbors bent out shape!

6) Now running only the left sub, adjust its level to match the main. I like a little boost in my home theater bass though

7) Adjust the sub crossover until its -6dB is also 175hz:

Click image for larger version  Name:	R_sub.png Views:	0 Size:	36.6 KB ID:	937848

8) Now turn on both the main and sub, and check integration:

Click image for larger version  Name:	R_summed.png Views:	0 Size:	34.3 KB ID:	937849

9) Looks good so I moved on to the right channel

I was lucky and integration was very good right away. All I really have left is to fine tune the sub response. I’ll probably have to move it, requiring me to go through the integration again. Anyone who measures their setup knows how badly the front wall (often in combination with the floor and side wall) can really mess up the response in the 100-500hz area. One of the nice things about a sub/sat system crossed around 200hz is that you now have drivers with different crossover slopes, and in two different positions in the room, to smooth out the response. At this point I would switch to 1/12 or 1/24 octave smoothing to make sure I wasn’t smoothing over the ugly parts.

If one did not have good integration yet, you can adjust the phase on the sub, or adjust the delay setting in the AVR, or move the sub around, to get the proper phase match. Sometimes I find the response improvement to be ambiguous as I change settings. When that happens I like to run the main in reverse polarity, switch to 1/24 octave smoothing, and adjust delay/phase and sub placement to get the deepest null at the crossover. When you find it, you then switch the polarity back to normal and you should have excellent phase integration.
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 28 May 2023, 09:50 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                                                    DriverVault
                                                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• jim1961
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by augerpro
                                                                      9) Looks good so I moved on to the right channel
                                                                      I think your results would be more clear if you changed the scale of your graphs to 5db increments rather than 20db ones.

But as things look, it appears you have 12db peaks at 39hz and 89hz. Additionally, I wouldn't use any smoothing when looking at the bass region.

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                        Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                        • Sep 2009

Peaks in the bass response are somewhat inevitable unless you're using a specific method to smooth out room modes.

Comment

• jim1961
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2012

Peaks in the bass response are somewhat inevitable unless you're using a specific method to smooth out room modes.
                                                                          You mean like treating your room?

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                            Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                            • Sep 2009
                                                                            • 1671

No, using a multiple sub configuration.

Comment

• jim1961
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2012
                                                                              • 357

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by jim1961
                                                                              You mean like treating your room?
                                                                              No, using a multiple sub configuration.
                                                                              A combination of the two works wonders actually.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2006
                                                                                • 1867

#40
                                                                                Good points. The main reason for the high smoothing and scale were to illustrate a simple method to get a person started on integrating the sub and satellite in a way that is understandable to novices. EQ and room correction were not a part of that scope. High smoothing can help to start since it is easier to get a feel for the response versus a wiggly mess. When it looks good there, as I mentioned, I start lowering the smoothing to about 1/24 and see of it still looks good. That said, reducing the scale might show the roll offs more clearly. I'll do it again this weekend since I have to do some EQ and room correction for myself anyway (not for the purposes of the sub/sat integration walk through).
                                                                                ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                DriverVault
                                                                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2006
                                                                                  • 1867

#41
                                                                                  Reran the sub integration to address some of the points above and added some new plots. I'll just post a new thread dedicated to the BBV2.
                                                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                  DriverVault
                                                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"