JJ Cale (5 December 1938 - 26 July 2013)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

JJ Cale (5 December 1938 - 26 July 2013)

JJ Cale died three weeks ago and I’m embarrassed that I didn’t mark his passing on this forum. Better late than never.

It’s hard to describe JJ’s genre of music. It’s a combination of soft rock, country and rockabilly I suppose. Some people called it the Tulsa sound.

JJ released 16 albums during his career. He is best known for his songs “Cocaine” (which was made famous by Eric Clapton) and “After Midnight”.

As a tribute two weeks ago my wife and I watched his DVD “In Session at the Paradise Studios 1979” which features the wonderful Leon Russell (a fellow Okie) on keyboards. This is a particularly special DVD because it’s the only good DVD of JJ’s work.

If I was to hold a party and I had only one musician to choose from for background mood music then that musician would be JJ Cale. He is the king of groove. The party would hum.

Farewell John Weldon Cale.

Nigel.
    Attached Files
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Looks like you got 2 threads going, this one has a picture though so lets bump it. JJ certainly had some great music throughout his career. Sad to see another classic artist from when music was real go out. Now days it's all about electronic instruments and programs like garage band or fruityloops
    Last edited by Hdale85; 18 August 2013, 19:35 Sunday.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

No worries--I deleted the other thread
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ghost
        • May 2001

Losing JJ Cale has been a pretty big thing around here. RIP JJ !
        Last edited by Ghost; 19 August 2013, 14:43 Monday. Reason: spelling

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I used to own his '79 album "5" on cassette tape. Was one of a handful of cassettes which became worn from overplay. It's tough losing great musicians. RIP JJ Cale!

Comment

• jeepers
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ShadowZA
            I used to own his '79 album "5" on cassette tape. Was one of a handful of cassettes which became worn from overplay. It's tough losing great musicians. RIP JJ Cale!
            Interesting, my brother gave me that album for my birthday around '79.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"