What is your opinion regarding the best connectivity route to follow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

What is your opinion regarding the best connectivity route to follow?

I have a question on which might be the best route to follow connectivity wise.

My Meridian 808 CD player sounds at its best (to me) when it is connected directly to the power amp from its balanced analog outputs, using its own DAC and inbuilt variable volume control.

My Krell S-1200 processor does not have a direct pass-through. The best it has, via its balanced analog inputs, is a preamp mode, which offers a direct connection to its own volume control.

I prefer CD sound having the Meridian connected directly to the amp.

What I am doing is this: When listening to CD, I have the Meridian connected directly to the amp. When I want to spin blu-ray, I disconnect the balanced connecters from the CD player and connect them into the Krell processor as per the attached image. In this way, when playing CD's, there are the least number of connection interferences and therefore the best benefit to audio quality.

My question:

Is what I am doing ok, or is there a material "wear and tear" factor affecting the balanced connectors?

Or, might it be better to employ some sort of switching device?

Thanks

Attached Files
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I understand exactly what you're talking about. I think if it were me, if I was willing to accept the pain in the butt it'd be, to every time unplug and switch over the XLR cables, then yes, I'd go ahead and do that. I think I'd rather have the purity of both sound and connection, than try to add more componentry and signal loss through a switcher. Yes, it's going to cause added wear. Systems aren't designed to constantly be unplugged and re-plugged, over and over. And you'll have to obviously be very careful as you're constantly poking around the back panels, where we're only supposed to be occasionally.

BTW, Shadow, I've watched "Searching for Sugar Man" several times lately. Makes me want to visit SA even more, especially seeing some of the scenery.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• ShadowZA
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for your input, Chris. Much appreciated. Never a dull moment in this audio passion. Sometimes we find ourselves stuck in a tangled web. Is it worth it? Hell yeah!

"Searching for Sugar Man" brought a tear to my eye. I would have been at the 1998 Rodriguez concert in Cape Town had it not been at the time of my daughter's birth (which was first priority). If (when) you find yourself in this neck of the woods please get in contact. Would be great to meet up.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

XLR generally has a lower noise floor, although for short runs it's said that you won't notice it as they are really designed for long runs that are more prone to interference. One thing that is noticeable though is that XLR is balanced and generally has twice the signal power (or more at least) over RCA, and generally it'll provide a louder output with the knob lower, some people perceive this as being better, but it's really just more input voltage more or less.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Worth the money... I doubt there's much (if any) sound degradation..... that's what I'd do to save the inputs from plugging back and forth all the time.

Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

One thing is for sure, I definitely admire your commitment to achieving the best quality sound possible with your system!

I am old, grumpy & lazy. I recommend a high quality switcher. This will also help prevent premature wear of the cable s, cable connectors & equipment terminals.

I am sure there are more elegant solutions out there, but a quick search of some pro equipment uncovered this passive manual switch "link
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Ha!
              He just beat me to it!

I think maybe Dan & I are spending way too much time together!
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

I think that a high quality switcher might just be the best way forward. Btw Bill, I guess that I'm also a member of the "O, G & L" club (awaiting induction). This should secure my membership successfully.
                Seriously though, I am a bit nervous of wearing out the connectors and terminals.
                Thanks for the kind words and input/link.

Comment

• Kobus
                  • Aug 2005

Hi Shadow

Get the switch. Looks like decent quality at a fair price.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Great advice, Kobus. Thanks. Good to touch sides with you again here

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Oh sure... Kobus comes in and gets all the glory.... WTF!

:P

LMAO!
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• ShadowZA
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

You scored first goal, Dan. Don't tell anyone but the others were involved in "WTP" shenanigans. WTP = Where's the puck?

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"