X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Thinking about grabbing this marantz SACD player

I do have some SACD's so I may use that feature but I primarily listen to CDs, lossless itunes files or Pandora one. I do own a few DVD-A disks but most are 'Dual discs' with exception of one. This unit has a dac that can accept usb so it seems like a good choice in that regard. I dont watch blu-rays so I haven't really looked at universal players because in the past I just felt that the load times were noticeably slower than a dedicated CD player. Any suggestions for other units I should consider at this price point?

• wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I do not know the details of the specs vs. the Marantz.....

But a friend who got one of these recently loves it.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

I was looking at that one and the OPPO BDP - 105 too.

I will look into it more

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Honestly.....I would go with the Marantz. The Oppo has great specs......especially from a video point of view, but I had problems with my Oppo unit and cannot in good conscience recommend them for a long haul. I have a Marantz 67SE CD player that sounds fabulous and has vastly out-lasted my Oppo DVD unit. Still works and sounds great 10 years after I bought it. My Oppo DVD player pooped out after around 4 years after I bought it. Loved the picture..... but common'........4 years??.......NOT acceptable!. Oppo fixed it for free and then it pooped out again less than a year later!. Marantz makes VERY musical players.......so if music is your thing.....go with Marantz......especially this unit..... It sounds like a sweet unit!.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Thanks, I think reliability is an issue with DVD players in general

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well some people have had some issues with Oppo, and others have had zero.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by madmac
              Honestly.....I would go with the Marantz. The Oppo has great specs......especially from a video point of view, but I had problems with my Oppo unit and cannot in good conscience recommend them for a long haul.
              I have had 6 Oppos and none has failed in any way.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Disc player failure has been exceeding rare for me (of any brand). I've owned about 2 dozen disc players since 1985 (still have 8 of them) and only one ever failed--after 16 years of use. On the other hand, I've had almost half a dozen hard drives fail on me.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                  I have had 6 Oppos and none has failed in any way.
                  Could also be a qty of usage issue as well. I used mine quite a bit and it was left on 24/7 in most cases. But then again, my Marantz CD player is also left on 24/7 as well. I also suppose that with any brand of gear, you can get a lemon unit.

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

I got the marantz

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

That deserves a banana! :banana:
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                        Could also be a qty of usage issue as well. I used mine quite a bit and it was left on 24/7 in most cases. But then again, my Marantz CD player is also left on 24/7 as well. I also suppose that with any brand of gear, you can get a lemon unit.
                        Amen.
                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• peterS
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

unless the components are military grade something is going to fail statistically

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by peterS
                            unless the components are military grade something is going to fail statistically
                            I'm sure you are going to be very happy with that unit and odds are, it's going to not fail you.

Comment

• peterS
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005

I hope not
                              I forgot to mention that using overrated components (voltage wise) also negates a lot of premature failures- probably a lot more difficult to squeeze in when there are a lot of features like a blu-ray player

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2007

Originally posted by peterS
                                I hope not
                                I forgot to mention that using overrated components (voltage wise) also negates a lot of premature failures- probably a lot more difficult to squeeze in when there are a lot of features like a blu-ray player
                                The more complicated the more there is to go wrong of course. But, if a component is well designed it can last a long time. I've owned a high end Oppo bluray player for years and had no problems with it. Still very much enjoy it.
                                John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

I might give Oppo another try sometime in the future. But, One more premature failure and I'm done with them for sure. They do make excellent performing products however. No argument there!.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Like most companies, Marantz SACD players in my experience have a "house sound"- not a bad one, but something to keep in mind. (I own a couple, SA-11 and SA-7, so I speak from experience). they favor a lush midrange with good to great detail and a slightly soft top end. Not a bad set of tradeoffs. Imaging is typically a weak point.

I've owned a couple of Oppos, but I use them with special cards from a Czech company for SACD extraction to high res PCM. So, light duty use- in this they've been quite reliable.

Something else to remember, for any disk player, there's a limited operating life to the optical pickup laser, and blue lasers (as are used for BD) have the shorted life of all. I actually had an optical sled on a Sony ES player replaced under warranty because I'd worn out the CD optical pickup just by sheer number of hours (that was close to the end of the 5 year warranty on ES components).

Enjoy your Marantz- it's a good player for the money.
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• madmac
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                      Like most companies, Marantz SACD players in my experience have a "house sound"- not a bad one, but something to keep in mind. (I own a couple, SA-11 and SA-7, so I speak from experience). they favor a lush midrange with good to great detail and a slightly soft top end. Not a bad set of tradeoffs. Imaging is typically a weak point.

I've owned a couple of Oppos, but I use them with special cards from a Czech company for SACD extraction to high res PCM. So, light duty use- in this they've been quite reliable.

Something else to remember, for any disk player, there's a limited operating life to the optical pickup laser, and blue lasers (as are used for BD) have the shorted life of all. I actually had an optical sled on a Sony ES player replaced under warranty because I'd worn out the CD optical pickup just by sheer number of hours (that was close to the end of the 5 year warranty on ES components).

Enjoy your Marantz- it's a good player for the money.
                                      By and large you are correct about the Marantz sound. I do love their players forward, punchy midrange performance however. Oppo's midrange performance is much more laid back (With the band) which is a bit of a deal breaker for me. I like the vocals in my music nice and forward of the band (As they should be in my opinion!) I find the concept of 'Imaging' a little over rated since I play most of my music in 5ch stereo anyway. Give me depth, transparency and detailed sound over imaging any day. Not to say that having both wouldn't be nice as well!.

Comment

• peterS
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Dec 2005

If its good enough for Osmo Vanska its good enough for me

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"