X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

Rotel vs Marantz for Audio Quality

I recently purchased a Rotel RDV-1080 and while waiting for it to arrive have come to realize it does not play CD-R, DVD-R, or DVD+R discs. When it arrives I will most likely look into selling it after I enjoy some Red Book CDs...

What are your opinions on Rotel DVD players vs Marantz players? Specifically I am looking at the Rotel RDV-1060 or 1050 vs Marantz DV 7600 (the DV 9600 & RDV 1092 is a bit more than I am willing to spend right now.) All of these players support recordable media. The Marantz also supports SACD playback.

The Rotel 1060 has a handful of unhappy buyers in "Club Rotel" anyone know if these problems are prevalent on the RDV-1050? (Noisy disc spinning, DVD-R's stop working, misc. service calls)

My main focus is Surround Sound (DVD-A, DTS) and Red Book CD playback. Video is not all that important for this purchase, I strictly want a great CD/DVD-A player.

---

Also, on an unrelated note... Am I correct to say your DVD player has nothing to do with the playback quality of a DTS or Dolby Digital track? It is my understanding that the DVD player just passes the digital zeros and ones from the disc to the preamp/processor where it is decoded. With this in mind I conclude that any DVD player (when playing DTS or DD) sounds exactly the same.

Thanks for looking!
    Bryan
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows
  • kurtholz
    • Feb 2005

Hey Brian

well, my two cents would look down the used path, Arcam makes some great players, i just bought a used Consonance SACD player, i am very happy with it, very

for DVD-A i use my Arcam DV29 which is absolutely perfect for that medium, also it has HDMI that works,so a nice bonus if you use plasma or some other HD set, the upconversion really works, DVD's really are taken to a new level

i would check audiogon for some used , the sony 9000 seems to garnish a lot of praise, they can be had around $1800 new,the marantz s1 is a little more but supposedly a great player to

some of the used Sim-Audio units would be a choice i would consider also

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• bnieman
      • Jun 2006

Kurt,
      I appreciate the input. Any comparisons you can make as far as sound quality between Arcam and Sim-Audio in regards to Red Book CD & DVD-A?

Bryan

Originally posted by kurtholz
      Hey Brian

well, my two cents would look down the used path, Arcam makes some great players, i just bought a used Consonance SACD player, i am very happy with it, very

for DVD-A i use my Arcam DV29 which is absolutely perfect for that medium, also it has HDMI that works,so a nice bonus if you use plasma or some other HD set, the upconversion really works, DVD's really are taken to a new level

i would check audiogon for some used , the sony 9000 seems to garnish a lot of praise, they can be had around $1800 new,the marantz s1 is a little more but supposedly a great player to

some of the used Sim-Audio units would be a choice i would consider also

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• jayhawk75
        • Apr 2006

still love the 7600 of course i still love the 1072 for cd's

Comment

• bnieman
          • Jun 2006

In your opinion how much better is the RCD-1072 than the 7600 at Red Book CDs? Is there no comparison? What qualities do you notice the most?

Thanks!
          Bryan

Originally posted by jayhawk75
          still love the 7600 of course i still love the 1072 for cd's

Comment

• kurtholz
            • Feb 2005

Hey Brian

well, i can't make a great comparison, a friend of mine has a sim-audio, but he uses Rotel and 803N

i use Krell Mono-blocks, and 802D

so, you know, hard to say, but i thought the Sim was very good

the Arcam is a really great sounding player, with great upconversion thru HDMI, also dvd-a is as good as i have heard, better than my Consonace on sacd

i think you would be very happy with it, of course, for half the price you could go with Arcams new diva 137 which does 1080P, again, you would need to find a screen that really supports that, i understand it does sacrifice some sound qaulity to the more expensive DV29

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• bnieman
              • Jun 2006

802Ds! I am jealous! My 23 year old graphic designer budget only allotted for the 703s I am extrememly happy with them though of course. Surroundless mid's just like yours

The SIMaudio gear is wayyy out of my league... I will look into the Arcam.

My TV is a long way away from being upgraded too, it's an old Toshiba 62" projection 4x3 HD-Ready TV. One of the first HDTVs on the market so it lacks the "change aspect ratio" button so all HD content is stretched... I have yet to take the 5 hours needed to fix that in service mode... Needless to say, I am a couple years away from a nice 1080p widescreen display.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have suggestions? input?

Bryan

Comment

• Vicente
                • May 2004

As I already mentioned in another post I had a "no disk" problem with my first rdv 1060, a couple of years ago, and Rotel exchanged it for a new one that has been working flawlessly until the moment.

Now I'm in a situation similar to yours. I don't know if change to the new rdv 1092 or go the Marantz 9600 path. Or none of them and wait to the new high definition players. I'm expecting my dealer to get the new Denon and make a test to the three of them together.

Many people consider Marantz very musical but we, Rotel fans know that Rotel is also very musical so it's going to be very difficult to decide for one of them without a listening test in the same room with the same equipment.

Comment

• bnieman
                  • Jun 2006

Agreed! Please let me know if you make a decision... I don't have any money left in my budget for new equipment so I have to buy used... feel bad going to the dealer to audition *shrug??

I bought the B&Ws 703s new, the RMB-1075 new, and the RSP-1068 new... so I am supporting the local scene!

Anyways... a different dealer carries Marantz... and another dealer aside from that carries Arcam... so it's not like going tothe B&W/Rotel dealer that likes me... not an easy predicament!!!

Comment

• Blindamood
                    • Sep 2003

Another player that doesn't get much 'play' on this forum is the Onkyo DV-SP1000. It's a bit more than you're looking for new, but can sometimes be found for <$1K used (try audiogon). New can actually be had for just under $1400 if you know where to look. :W

I have had my SP1000 for over 1.5 years now, and have been enjoying it tremendously. A short while ago, I attempted to complete my Rotel setup, and experimented with an RDV-1060 that I found factory-sealed on audiogon. I figured I could save a few bucks by selling the Onkyo, and still enjoy DVD-Audio (SACD and HDMI would have to be sacrificed...).

Well, after installing the RDV-1060 in my system for about a month and a half (and receiving no offers on the Onkyo), I made a decision to pull the Onkyo ad and put the SP1000 back in my system. The Rotel was pretty good, but...

I could not believe the difference. In a way it's refreshing to know that I had the right solution all along, but sometimes you have to do some swapping in order to refresh your memory. The sound and video quality of the Onkyo far surpasses the Rotel. And it offers many features that cannot be found on the Rotel (video upscaling via HDMI, SACD support, etc. etc.).

And while the newer RDV-1092 can provide the upscaling, it still lacks many important features for this price range, in my opinion. Not only does it lack SACD support, it also offers no bass management for DVD-Audio. Since my system uses all monitors (805S, HTM4S) this is important to me. And the build quality and overall feel of a piece like the Onkyo just put it over the top.

I'm glad to be back enjoying what I had all along.
                    Brad

Comment

• Clepto
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by bnieman
                      Kurt,
                      I appreciate the input. Any comparisons you can make as far as sound quality between Arcam and Sim-Audio in regards to Red Book CD & DVD-A?

Bryan
                      I'd say the Sim Audio Moon is one of the best red book cd players money can buy...

Comment

• rotelnewb
                        • Oct 2006

My dealer said there are new Rotel DVD players on the road, by end 2006 / beginning 2007. At least that's what I am waiting for at the moment.

Comment

• jayhawk75
                          • Apr 2006

[QUOTE=bnieman]In your opinion how much better is the RCD-1072 than the 7600 at Red Book CDs? Is there no comparison? What qualities do you notice the most?

to be honest havent tried that route. i purchased my system for the wear out factor. dvd for 7600 and cd for 1072. i do know that the dealer recommended that if i went with one to go with the 9600 if i wanted the same level cd quality. i also use the sa-11 at the dealer for my final b&w speaker purchase, which i am considering buying. i compared that to the new mac sacd player and prefered the marantz. the mac takes to long to load and is picky on quality of disc, i havent had that problem with rotel or marantz. if you go with 7600 only less cableing required]

Comment

• voxy
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by rotelnewb
                            My dealer said there are new Rotel DVD players on the road, by end 2006 / beginning 2007. At least that's what I am waiting for at the moment.
                            Are you sure Rotel is gonna put in newer players apart from the new RDV 1092? I need to change player by next year and was hoping Rotel produce one pc that can excel in the audio department. I want to trade my RCD1070 & Pioneer DVD for one pc of DVD gear.

So far there hasn't been any review of the player against the rest of the competition.

Anyone knows if Rotel would built a 5 channel iced powered amp? I want a 250W x 5 like the PSaudio amps.

Comment

• Vicente
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by rotelnewb

This could change all the panorama. Anyone can confirm these news? Any news about Rotel High Definition players?

Comment

• bnieman
                                • Jun 2006

An update...
                                I have the RDV-1080 installed in my system now and it sounds fantastic. It does not play CD-Rs like I read but it DOES play DVD-R and DVD+R discs!

I think I will stick with it until I can get a deal somewhere...

Comment

• bnieman
                                  • Jun 2006

Any more direct comparrisons for Rotel DVD to Marantz DVD (strictly audio) ... ?

Comment

• Vicente
                                    • May 2004

I will compare the RDV 1092 and RV9600 on my dealer's shop next 26th. I will let you know which one is the winner.

But what about the new Rotel DVD models? If I decide to go with the Rotel I would not like to find that there are new models in a few months with new features and at a more moderated price.

Any news about this?

Comment

• chinets
                                      • Jun 2005

Go for Marantz DV 9600!!!
                                      I had the RDV 1060 and I have auditioned the RDV 1092 in comparison to the DV 9600 In an A/B TEST, and believe you me Audio and picture were superior with the Marantz.
                                      Marantz DVD-A and even Red book beat the 1092 Hands down. The Rotel has NO SACD and that is another plus for the Marantz which plays exquisite SACD.
                                      In Audio, Marantz is more musical and has a better and tighter bass and the Highs are breath taking.
                                      Marantz is a winner, and it got my attention in every aspect. A more solid player and a better sound and the picture speaks for it self!!!!
                                      I was sold from the moment I compared the Marantz DV 9600 to the Rotel 1092!! Marantz is day and night better in every aspect!!! From the first tune you will hear on the Marantz ,you will end up going for the Marantz blind!!! Wow what an incredible sound!! So Musical, warm, and what a sound stage ,which is deeper and wider and full!! Breath taking!!!
                                      The player is better built and heavier ,with NO jitter whatsover, and the Multichannel performance is to die for!! Marantz DV 9600 without a doubt!!!r
                                      My 2 cents,
                                      Cheers

Comment

• bnieman
                                        • Jun 2006

Chinets,
                                        Thanks for the feedback. Did you get a chance to compare the DV7600 to the DV9600? It is a bit closer to my price range. The DV9600 is over 2K! The DV7600 is less than half of that. Is the difference astounding?

Bryan

Comment

• chinets
                                          • Jun 2005

bnieman,
                                          Sorry, did not compare DV 9600 with the DV 7600!!

Go for the DV 7600 ,as a friend of mine swears that it sounds just as good as the DV 7600, but no Upscaling to 1080i and other small differences!!

IMHO Marantz is more sturdy and better built than Rotel!!! IN DVD Players Only!!! So I believe you will always be getting a better built player!!
                                          Cheers!!
                                          Keep us posted!!

Comment

• Vicente
                                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Vicente
                                            I will compare the RDV 1092 and RV9600 on my dealer's shop next 26th. I will let you know which one is the winner.

But what about the new Rotel DVD models? If I decide to go with the Rotel I would not like to find that there are new models in a few months with new features and at a more moderated price.

Any news about this?
                                            Well, yesterday I compared Rotel RDV1092 and Marantz RV9600 on my dealer's shop and as promised here are the results:

Video: Checked only on HDMI, 720p with Mitsubishi HC3000 projector. Very similar results. Maybe Marantz showed less grain in some dark images (Pirates of the Caribbean I) but both gave a very detailed picture and rich color. Marantz had faster response to commands with DVD's but was slower charging CD's.

With music DVD's same in image, but Marantz had better soundstage and more musical and refined sound, but Rotel is not bad in any ways. If you compare it with rdv1060, 1092 is better.

Also I brought to the test an NTSC DVD (the standard in Europe is PAL as you know) and while the Marantz read it without any problem, I had to switch manually the Rotel to NTSC to avoid saw teeth and blur in the image. As soon as I did this Rotel worked perfectly, but still you need to change manually from PAL to NTSC if you want to get the best of the Rotel. I don't understand why it doesn't change it automatically as my other cheap DVD's do it (old Marantz, Pioneer and Harman Kardon).

Reading CD's also Marantz showed a more delicate sound, you feel that is a pricey reader with subtle differences, although the Rotel is not bad at all. Same as with music DVD's.

Maybe I'm so used to Rotel sound that some times I said that I liked more the Rotel sound. My son that came with me to the audition preferred the Marantz, but Rotel showed more punch with some rock CD's.

About multichannel music, I only have a few DVD-A and one SACD, so this is not what is going to make my final decision. I tried a Diana Krall DVD-A and results were more or less the same as with CD's.

What I was surprised of was how good both players sounded in a well conditioned room. We used Rotel rsx1067 and B&W 805s with a Rel Stampede subwoofer, and I have to tell you that I MUST rearrange and condition my listening room because it doesn't sounds at all as well as my dealers room sounded.

Well ¿Who is the winner? At first sight you say it's Marantz, but my dealer also warned me that in my room (he knows it), with my loudspeakers (Focal JMLab Cobalt S), the differences I'm going to notice are far less that the ones I heard in his room. Also Marantz costs here in Spain 500 Euros more (about $600) than Rotel, and that's not a small difference. There is also the cosmetic side, Marantz on top of Rotel is awful.

As I'm very pleased with the Marantz sound, next step is compare both at home (he agreed to lend them, he's a great guy) and see if the differences are 500 Euros worth.

Best regards.

Pd: Any news about the new Rotel players?

Comment

• chinets
                                              • Jun 2005

Good Job Vicente,

I am very impressed here with your Audition/Testing!!

I still feel that the Marantz is heavy duty and very well built, so it is worth the difference you will be paying. Again if you like SACD ,as I do, and especially In Multichannel the difference gets better as Rotel does not have SACD ,which to me is a must. The Marantz has the best of all 4 worlds: 1) Video perfect, 2) SACD capabilities, 3) DVD-A a must for Multcnannel freaks like I am and 4) CD RED BOOK is Fantastic.

Vicente, you should have spent more time and tested the SACD and DVD-A capabilities, as most people would buy the DV 9600 just for the Multichannel use of DVD-A and SACD as a FULL Audiophile Music Box that plays the highest fidelity source of Music in the entire market, and then find out that it is also one of the Best DVD-Videp performers in the world.

I had the RDV 1060 ( A real DUD) and have tested the RDV extensively in comparison to the DV 9600 ,and the Marantz DV 9600 wins hands down every time.

Marantz DV 9600 is just better built, and weighs 3 times the Rotel DVD player, and you can see it is worth those 500 Euros you are denying that sensational DV 9600 player .

Yes it is worth it Hermano Vicente ,and much more!!!
                                              My 2 cents!!
                                              Thanks again Vicente for your comparison and effort!!!
                                              Suerte,
                                              Chinets

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"