X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Logitech Squeezebox Touch

I just read Kal’s article on the Logitech SqueezeBox Touch.
    This old vinyl Luddite’s interest is peaked.
    Anybody else out there tried one?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Martyn
    • Feb 2006

I use a Squeezebox 3 as the audio streamer for my second system - I love it! This is a very compact system comprising just the SB, power amp, and speakers. I'm planning on getting a Touch for my main system, but I recently bought a Squeezebox Radio for the kitchen and the thing is driving me nuts. While the SB3 is easy to use and very reliable, the radio cuts out every 15 minutes or so and is next to useless. I have to resolve this problem before I'll be willing to buy any more Logitech gear!

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I used to use squeezebox's, but got extremely frustrated with constant dropouts - which were always blamed on my poor network. I switched to iTunes and Airport Expresses (iPhone as remote) and have ever had a problem since. Also, I organized my music in iTunes, but needed to run the Squeeze server too, which is managed with a web interface, it all seemed a bit superfluous. Apples "AirPlay" is on the way, which should make streaming between devices even easier.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

I am sure the Apple stuff works fine but it is too limited for me. No FLAC and no HD. And, fwiw, the Touch works fine for me without interruptions by wireless in one house (all wood and frame) and by AC-carrier ethernet in the other (reinforced concrete and steel).
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• btf1980
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
          I just read Kal’s article on the Logitech SqueezeBox Touch.
          This old vinyl Luddite’s interest is peaked.
          Anybody else out there tried one?
          I use a Squeezebox Touch in addition to Sonos. No problems with the SB Touch. 1 caveat though, the remote is useless. If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, download the iPeng app. It's only $10. It's a seamless way to control the Squeezebox. It's pretty sweet.
          A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by btf1980
            I use a Squeezebox Touch in addition to Sonos. No problems with the SB Touch. 1 caveat though, the remote is useless. If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, download the iPeng app. It's only $10. It's a seamless way to control the Squeezebox. It's pretty sweet.
            I am planning on that. iPad app for the Sooloos looks great, too.
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by btf1980
              Does the wi-fi Controller remote (included with the Duet) work with the Touch? I use mine for both the Transporter and Duet, and it works well for me.
              Brad

Comment

• Martyn
                • Feb 2006

This is an up-date on my earlier post...

I eventually tried assigning the SB Radio a static IP address. This has not completely solved the drop-out problem, but it's now down to every few days instead of every 15 minutes! It doesn't seem long ago that one bought a radio, took it home, plugged it in, and listened (and televisions didn't need manuals). Not any more...*sigh*

I have since bought a Touch which I have had working hard-wired for a few days. I must say that it's very nicely made and was a breeze to install. Since then, the SB Radio has dropped out once on its own (the Touch was fine, suggesting a wireless problem) and they dropped out together once (along with every other Internet connection in the house). A reboot of my routers fixed this, but I have not pursued the root cause any further as yet.

Going back to wkhanna's original question, I like the Touch. I will be using it mostly for streaming music files to my main system, but it's handy for Internet radio too (although it does need a few seconds to be redirected from the music library to the 'net).

The Squeezebox Classic (my SB3) has a single line, monochromatic display that is big enough to be read from across the room. The SB Radio has multiple lines in a smaller font - this works fine because it doesn't have a remote and you are right in front of it when using it. The Touch is in between - it has a few lines of medium size font which is too small to be read from across the room. This means that the remote of limited use for making selections, although the touch screen is nice.

Thus I'd say that the Touch is a good choice when it's going to be close by, whereas the SB Classic might be better if it will be further from the listening position. I think the Classic has been discontinued, although they are readily available used. The Duet might be an interesting alternative - it's more expensive, but has a display screen on the remote. Whatever you choose, once you make the move to PC-based music, it's hard to go back!

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Thank you Martyn.

Your experience and observations are very helpful and greatly appreciated.
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• stuofsci02
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

I have the Classic SB3 and last weekend had the opportunity to compare it to a touch that I was able to borrow for a couple of days. I will say that the touch was a snap to set up, however I have the same complaint with the screen. From 10 ft away, I prefer the display of the SB3. I have difficulty reading the touch from there.

One thing I was expecting was the analog outputs of the touch to be superior to the SB3. And they were better, but only slightly and it was only audible on some material. I was hoping this would be better after all I had heard about the improved DAC and analog section.

In the end I was able to compare it to my Oppo 83SE analog outputs. I see Kal also compared to the 83SE in his review, but I don't think it was the analogs he was comparing. I would be interested in anyone else who has done this... I found the 83SE stereo analogs to be better then Touch. This was most apparent on music that had a lot of things happening at once (big band music etc.)..

In the end I think the Touch is a great deal, and is better then the SB3, but not enough so for me to make the switch. I was hoping for a bit better on the analog outs, only because that was supposed to be one of the big changes. In the end, I think mose people will run it to an external DAC, so this will be a moot point..

Stuart
                    Main System:
                    B&W 801D
                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                    Oppo BDP-105
                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                    B&W CM7
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Emotiva UPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Mark K
                      • Feb 2002

I too am going to spring for a Touch.

I have a duet. I love it but used to be in the category of the "guys who get a lot of dropouts and hangups" requiring a lot of reboots.

The good news is I upgraded my router.

See

Anyway, this router is turning out to be quite the router, better range by far than all the other routers I've had and data throughput seems pretty solid.

Anyway, I don't get any dropouts-basically the Duet is trouble free (almost...if I shut down my main server and try to switch the duet to internet radio, it will occ require a hard start.) otherwise it's been flawless...
                      www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Blindamood
                        • Sep 2003

Touch Ordered + Deal!

Finally ordered a Touch, to accompany my Duet (moving back to the bedroom system). Couldn't pass up a deal from Vann's for $220 with free shipping (available thru 7/20)! Had the Transporter previously and sold it, so I'm looking forward to regaining native support for my 96kHz tracks.
                        Brad

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

A friend I work with is a musician/audiophile in his ‘real’ life and he just got one.

He loves it!
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

+1.. I have a Touch and a Classic.. Certainly a great invention...
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"