• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Good competitor to Ipod touch?

Hey all,

I recently got my daughter a Ipod touch for her birthday and have been fiddling with it a bit. I find the screen a tad small and don't really approve of the whole proprietary ITunes and apple platform as well.

Is there any direct, WiFi/ internet enabled device out there with a bigger touch screen that competes with this device. I'm not talking phones here, just something like the stand alone IPod touch.
    Dan Madden :T
  • baniels
    • Nov 2006

I really like Cowon products for portable music. I'm not sure any of them offer a browser or internet connectivity though. Typically they are well-rated for SQ. I have had the D2 for years and find it serves it's purposes quite well, with amazing battery life. And they handle a lot of formats -- I found them while looking for something that could play FLAC so I didn't need to convert any files for portable use.

You could look into a used Android device with a large scree (Droid X, maybe) and just not activate it for use as a phone. Although it's music-playing capabilities may be sufficient, it isn't its first priority or best strength.
    L&R Build
    Sub Build

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

To me it seems like you are describing the iPad. Or are you thinking 7 inch Samsung tablet?

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I like the screen size of the HTC Desire but that's a phone PDA. An IPad or tablet is too big because I need it's main use to be a portable music player. A 4 -4 1/2 inch screen size would be perfect.

At the end of the day, I'll probably get an Ipod touch, do away with my current PDA and get a plain jane flip open cell phone. Data plan phones here in Canada are WAY over charged.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• M.Roberts8
          • Jan 2006

I have the Samsung mesmerize phone from US Cellular. I love it 6-8 people I know now have that phone as well. Comes with a 16gb card and is expandable to 32gb. It is a hair bigger than a ipod touch but not having to deal with all of Apple's limitations.
          I know you said you don't want a phone but maybe check out Samsung they may have a smaller version of the 7" galaxy tab. As in my phone with out the phone parts.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"