X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mb225
    • Jan 2009

Largest Luxury Speaker Companies

Does anyone know who is the biggest audiophile speaker company? Meaning, which company has the largest market share. My local dealer told me that B&W has the most market share and owns about 50% of the high-end market.

Also, what would everyone consider the top 5 audiophile speaker companies? Again meaning market share.

The dealers in my area only have B&W, Revel and Klipsch. So that’s really all my exposure.
    Last edited by mb225; 28 September 2010, 18:04 Tuesday.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Interesting, depending on what you would call Audiophile. I would say yes, Klipsch makes audiophile products, but also some consumer grade Best Buy crap. Same with B&W. So, depends on your definition, and whether the company also branches outside of "audiophile" quality.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• twitch54
      • Apr 2006

market share in an 'audiophile' enviroment .......not sure that that means all that much considering some mfg have so many lines of speakers vs others that may have but a half dozen models to choose from.

I'd suspect B&W to be in the top tier along with Paradigm, Focal and Revel. Myself, a lover of dipole / electrostatics would prefer the offerings from Magnepan and Martin Logan. As far as dynamic speakers I'd go with Avalon, Wilson or Hansen, none of whom I doubt loose too much sleep over 'market share dominace' as it relates to shere production numbers !
      Dave

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If you are willing to pony up US$3,950 you can read the 2008 World Loudspeaker Market analysis. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
          If you are willing to pony up US$3,950 you can read the 2008 World Loudspeaker Market analysis.
          Sign me up! I can't wait to see how audiophile powerhouses such as LabTech and Plantronics fare against the competition. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Don't forget Logitech.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Don't forget Logitech.
              Wish I could. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• mb225
                • Jan 2009

Maybe this question is too specific. So let me try another type of question along the same lines.

Since my area has a limited selection of high-end audio gear, I'm trying to find out what are some of the common brands. If someone said they wanted to buy a luxury sports car, what brands should I look at? You might respond, well that depends on your wants/needs and your price range. You would probably create 3 categories:
                Elite Cars – consisting of Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.
                Hi-end Cars – something like a high-end Porsche
                Luxury sports cars – BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc.

Let's say someone comes over and listens to your stereo. They are blown away and want to get into audio and buy a nice setup. They want to start with speakers, what are some of the major players in this market. Since the term "audiophile" seems to be confusing, let’s say we are looking for "luxury speaker manufactures" meaning anything that is respected by people in this forum.

So with that in mind, what is a "must listen" for someone that wants to get into audio? Since price is a big factor I think we should break them down by category:
                Elite/boutique:
                High-end:
                Luxury:

What are your top picks for each category?

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

Each of the four following companies are well respected, have been in business for a significant amount of time, and each produce speakers that fall into all three of your categories.
                  Tannoy
                  JBL
                  Vandersteen
                  Wilson

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

If I where to guess I would say the following

JBL
                    Polk audio
                    Paradigm
                    Klipsch
                    B&W
                    Bose
                    Definitive Technology

Not in any order but these are probably the biggest.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Uh, oh... did someone just mention Bose in a "Audiophile" speaker thread? Or "luxury, respected by members of this forum"?

Let me go call 911 to send the riot police...
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• mb225
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Chris D
                        Uh, oh... did someone just mention Bose in a "Audiophile" speaker thread? Or "luxury, respected by members of this forum"?
                        Yeah... I don't think Bose would be considered a "luxury" brand. It definitely has its place in the market and they make some really great products. To me, Bose ranks very high on the value curve since they are so affordable. I would say they fall into the upper-lower-middle-class. :P

I guess it's a matter of perspective. To someone in the market for a $200 home theater in-a-box, Bose might be considered a "luxury".

I went with the Bose portable iPod dock over the luxury brands just b/c it has a rechargeable battery pack and is very portable. I love it! :T I can take it with me on vacation, when I'm working outside, pool-side, etc. Great product. But Bose wasn't really what I was looking for with this thread.

Good reply though, keep them coming. :T

Comment

• mb225
                          • Jan 2009

I just realized something... Dmantis was looking at Bose from a "market-share" perspective. That makes sense! I would agree, Bose is probably one of the bigger producers in the world. But I'm pretty sure they don't meet the "luxury" category.

Comment

• twitch54
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by mb225
                            I think we should break them down by category:
                            Elite/boutique:
                            High-end:
                            Luxury:

What are your top picks for each category?
                            ???????????? have no idea where you came up with 'those' categories how does one seperate luxury from high-end from elite ??
                            Dave

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Dmantis
                              If I where to guess I would say the following
                              JBL
                              Polk audio
                              Paradigm
                              Klipsch
                              B&W
                              Bose
                              Definitive Technology

Not in any order but these are probably the biggest.
                              You mean in terms of sales??
                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Pio
                                • Nov 2005

I think the largest is Harman which is the parent company of Revel, Infinity and JBL. So in terms of shear overall sales of high end speakers, Harman's products combined should have a pretty large share. I bet, however that the most selling speaker comes from Bose.

I bet Kal Rubinson knows for sure since he's deeper within the industry.
                                Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"