• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

New technology coming to challenge LCD and Plasma by '05

"Thick-Film Dielectric Electroluminescent (TDEL) Displays"

Sounds like it will be more affordable (like 30-40% more affordable than current LCD TV's)....

iFire Technology has created a solid-state flat panel display technology called thick-film dielectric electroluminescence (TDEL). An inorganic electroluminescent (IEL) display technology, TDEL is based on a patented thick-film dielectric structure that enables excellent video performance and color saturation, while providing inherent ruggedness and reliability. Compared to other flat panel display technologies, iFire’s TDEL technology involves a low-cost and high-yield manufacturing process. Combining low-cost potential with excellent video performance characteristics, iFire™ displays are poised to become the affordable, high performance flat panel alternative for the mass consumer television market.

iFire™ displays are poised to become the affordable "hang-on-the-wall" alternative to the bulky cathode ray tube (CRT), the global consumer television market leader. While CRTs continue to set the mark for performance and price, flat panel televisions are gaining market share with the advent of new technologies that deliver high-quality graphic performance, together with a sleek and slim design. The iFire™ display, with its excellent video performance characteristics, simple and rugged structure and low manufacturing cost, has the potential to become the first truly affordable high definition flat panel display television on the market.

iFire™ Thick-Film Dielectric Electroluminescent (TDEL) Displays

iFire’s proprietary thick-film dielectric processing requires 30 to 70 percent fewer manufacturing steps than other ;flat panel technologies, making TDEL technology the most affordable option for large-screen displays. Containing no gases, liquids or vacuum, an iFire™ display is inherently rugged and less susceptible to shock, vibration and breakage, which are significant issues for product shipping. TDEL technology’s solid state structure and thick-film manufacturing process also make an iFire™ display less sensitive to cleanroom contamination, resulting in lower capital investment, higher manufacturing yield and reduced production cost. In addition, iFire™ displays feature full color, rapid video response, unrestricted viewing angles and a wide operating temperature range. The technology is also scalable from five inches to 50 inches, making TDEL an ideal flat panel display alternative for many different applications.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Sounds great, we need another cost effective flat panel option!

Plasmas are way to expensive still. I mean my 32" used ran 3200 bucks. That's pretty bad, was 4K new. It was only a few months old though, that's why I went with it vs paying the extra 800. seemed like a pretty smart savings.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Awesome! The more options there are the better for the consumer (Another good Canadian company to boot )

I also seem to remember seeing something a few months back about a display technology (I think LEP...?) that could act similar to a projector screen without the projector! They even hinted at the possibility of sections of the fabric like material being sewn in to clothing... though I'm not sure I'd want that...lol

The next few years should be very interesting with new technologies emerging, DLP developing at blazing speed etc and who know maybe plasma will maybe even become more feasible and overcome it's issues (cost/complexity of manufacture, resolution etc) it looks good for the consumer. :P

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I see another flury of upgrading in the future.
        It's actually scary buying anything right now in terms of video
        displays.
        For two reasons really.
        First is the prices will like drop rock bottom in the next 6-12 months..LCD plasma, etc...
        Also, within the next year they will be outdated due to new technology or improvements on the current technologies.
        Truely rapid evolution.

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• spiffnme
          • Apr 2003

Very cool, and I agree, the more options there are, the better it is for us consumers. My only concern/gripe with this technology, is that their 34" prototype is 1280x768, not 1920x1080. 1920x1080 is where HD is headed (actually it's where it's been for a good long time.) When films are transferred, they're transferred to HD at 1920x1080...HD-DVD is also (most likely) going to be 1920x1080.

Anything less a waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned. I'll be in the market for a new set in about a year or so. I'm very anxious to see what happens in that time.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
          All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Or at least the proper 1280x720 resolution. As is it will require extra, unnecessary scaling to get the source to 768. I quickly had a look at the site and couldn't find information on what is responsible for the set's resolution either.. Is it a chip or is there something inherent in the set's design that is responsible for the resolution? If it's chip based then that would explain the lower resolution as chips that are 1920x1080 are relatively rare and expensive still...but that's changing :P

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"