X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jnorth1178
    • Feb 2006

Step up from Prima Luna

I need some sage advice. I have always thought I would like to get into Mcintosh amp and preamp but never had the necessary cash. I presently have Prima Luna 3 pre amp and the Prologue 6 amp. I know very little about the Mcintoshes. Was wondering what you would suggest in a Mcintosh that would be a noticeable improvement over my Primas? I am not interested in the latest or the most expensive Mc. But from your experience what Mcintosh (new or used) with a sensible price tag could give me a step up?
    Jnorth
    Last edited by Jnorth1178; 31 December 2008, 00:22 Wednesday. Reason: forgot signature
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

The McIntosh 'house sound' is very distinctive. I would audition some Mac equipment before deciding. While I like their stuff , I find it too laid back for my taste. If used with speakers of the same ilk (Dali?) it may sound very 'relaxed'. Again , this is all subjective so I would recommend a thorough audition of the components in question-with your speakers , if possible.
    Mac does produce some serious current on the output side. Just about any Mac amp will grab your drivers by the short and curlys and have it's way with them. You just have to decide if "it's way" is your way.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Jnorth1178
      • Feb 2006

Lee:

Comment

• Jnorth1178
        • Feb 2006

Lee: Thanks for your input. I have B&W 805s for speakers. I don't quite get your comment "Mac produces some serious current on the output side? Can my speakers handle it? Ypu can see I am a neophyte. J North

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Your speakers are up to the task. I only meant power will not be an issue with Mac. Whatever you hear from a Mac amp will be what that amp produces-you won't have to ask "Do I have enough power?"
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Jnorth1178
            • Feb 2006

Lee: I was sending you a 'quick reply' and hit the wrong key and lost it. May have gone thur as an incomplete email. Sorry. In the previous email I was asking if you had any recommendations if I should take the leap? Cost being a factor T here seems to be a myriad of options when you look at a run down of the Mcintosh arsenal. Wondered too what your take is on Separates vs. Integrated? I appereciate your input. Happy New Year. J Nortth

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

If cost is an issue , I strongly recommend finding a Mac dealer with a decent selection of other gear to audition as well. McIntosh is good stuff , and built like a tank. Holds it's value very well , too. If multiple auditions aren't an option , I would go for a used Mc integrated to see if you like it. That way you can resell without losing much , if any , of your investment. IMO

are two examples. I have no affiliation with these listings , but I would try for a local pickup as I've heard some horror stories about people packing heavy stuff poorly-and McIntosh makes heavy stuff.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Jnorth1178
                • Feb 2006

I put my bid in for a MA6500 last night. has anyone out there had a chance to compare the Prima Lunas with the Mcintosh? I know in a way we are talking apples and oranges but I wondered how soundwise are they in the same ball park or is one superior to the other? I know too that this is a personal choice. But just wondered how you heard it. Jack north 1178

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Heard a few Mac amps at a dealer. Mostly through Paradigm speakers. Paradigms are pretty revealing speakers , and I thought the Mac amps sounded "dark". No detail lacking , beautiful mids , but somehow short on "presentation". I have never heard a McIntosh amp that was short on headroom or unmitigated balls , however. Used is a great option. It's pretty rare to lose money on resale of a Mac under 5-10 years old.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"