X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brendon
    • Aug 2004

entry level 5.1 speakers B&W vs Mirage vs M&K

Hi guys .I got a day off recently and with no wives and kids hanging around snuck out to tour a few local Hi- Fi retailers to get some idea what sort of 5.1 speaker sytem I should look at to go in my small HT room (3.8m x 4.5m 70% 2 channel and 30 % 5.1 usage).
    I had the B&W 602 series 3 speakers in mind for mains and wanted to see what alternatives I should consider .First stop B&W dealer listened to 602's as good as I expected asked him what else he stocked simular in price performance -nothing -onwards next dealer brings out the smallest book shelf speakers I have ever seen M&K cinema 6 system (cant find this on M&K site superceeded?).First thought put that toy away and show me a real speaker!I had a listen both in 2 chanel with and without sub and then 5.1 impressive for size but unable to put side by side with 602 so hard to say how they compared.Next stop I am shown mirage omni 50 ,cc and frx sytem with velodyne sub very interesting and also sounded alright even in 2 channel mode sans sub.
    To cut a long post short have any of you guys put these speakers side by side and what do you think about these quite different styles ?
    I do realise that there is quite a price difference between the B&W system approx $5000 AUD for 5.1 setup down to M&k sys approx $2300 AUD .
    Looking forward to your input .
    Brendon
    (I reckon Aussie Geoff could just about name my route just from the brands I looked at!)
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Brendon,
    (I reckon Aussie Geoff could just about name my route just from the brands I looked at!)
    Well at a guess:
    >> Surround Sounds for the B&W, then
    >> Vince Ross for the M&K, then
    >> Frank Prowse for the Mirage and Velodyne
    That would be a single direction Stirling Highway route that would match what you saw...

Geoff

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I would go with B&W all around, for the price I think you cannot get a better speaker. I started out with the 600 series in my setup and really liked them. I now have the 800 Nautilus line. Another good thing about B&W is that they hold their value well if you ever decide to upgrade. All and all though it really comes down to what ever sounds the best for you.

Good Luck!
      Robert P
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• brendon
        • Aug 2004

You got it in one Geoff!
        Brendon

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"