X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Speaker Upgrading??

Hello All,

I have Paradigm Ref Studio 100's V2 and very happy with them. A friend upgraded to the V5. From the V2. I don't want to hear them because they may sound better. We both use a Rotel RSP-1068 processor & 1075 amp.

If I was going to upgrade on speakers, I would choose another brand. What are your thoughts on speaker upgrading???
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

I haven't heard this exact Sound Lab model ... I've heard his old A1, Dynastat, and Ultimate speakers. Really natural, resolving and open sounding.

The Dynastat is really nice too, although I've olny heard his early model years ago.

I know these are pricey, but just thought I'd mention them.

I like Thiel speakers very much too. I own some old CS1s. Again, I haven't heard his recent work. But I think he designs for accurate/neutral reproduction. (i.e. low distortion, time coherent, ...).

Maybe the 3 way, Thiel 2.4?

Thiel Speakers
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• NonSense
      • Nov 2003

June

IMO, lateral moves are usually disappointing. (Unless there is something specific you don't like about your system which is addressed by a simialar priced competative piece) If I am going to make a move, I usually take a big step. Lots of incremental moves usually cost more in the long run.

Cheers,
      Bruce

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I STRONGLY agree with that. The general approach I've adopted for myself, regarding upgrades, is that I will not upgrade equipment until I can make a QUANTUM jump in performance. Otherwise, you're spending a bunch of money to buy something you pretty much already have, with a small improvement. Thus, you're spending a bunch of money for a little gain. If you can spend a bunch of money plus just a little bit more, you can often get a much bigger gain, getting more bang for your buck.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"