X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cvinci
    • Mar 2005

SACD Playback

I have a Denon 3910 Universal DVD/CD and Rotel home theater processor 7.1 system with separate amps etc. I bought a Miles Davis SACD multitrack and i can not figure out how to play it. i wired from 5.1 outputs into rotel multi inputs and it does not play. i read up in manuals made sure HDMI is shut off etc but no go..i must be missing something..anybody have any thoughts?
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yeah, I have a Denon 3910 too, although I'm away from home for another several weeks.

No problems playing SACD/DVD-A, although I can't remember if there was a feature I had to enable to make it happen or something. Sounds like you've got it wired right, from the 5.1 analog outputs to the 5.1 analog inputs on your pre/pro. That's what I used.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• cvinci
      • Mar 2005

hmm...lets me get out the manuals again..it pretty straightforward but i have to be missing something(button on processor or 3910)

Comment

• dtb300
        • Apr 2007

The only thing on the Denon is the MCH, 2CH, CD function button. You might want to check if "CD" function is selected. If so, then the player may only output from the 2CH out jacks and not the MCH jacks. Then I would check the Rotel to see if the MCH inputs are selected - remember no processing is usually done when using these types of inputs - check Rotel guide.

Comment

• DelRay
          • Jun 2004

cvinci, Have you tried playing other multichannel sacd's?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Wish I could remember off the top of my head what the settings are for SACD playback, but it was never that easy, or obvious with the Denon DVD-3910.

Aside from "giving up the ghost" after only two years and a couple of months of service, my Denon DVD-3910 had about the most user unfriendly menu system I've encountered in audio equipment (perhaps outdone in obfuscation by Theta, but thankfully, I've never had to depend on Theta equipment to listen to anything at home). Lot's of "gotcha" menu settings that had to be engaged in concert with some other settiing on a completely different menu, or settings that ended up doing just about the opposite of what you'd expect by what it was called. Certainly not "intuitive" even after using it for a couple of years.

I'll try to reassemble my notes to recall what I did to successfully play SACD via the Denon before I retired it for an easier-to-use and even better performiing Oppo DV-983H (way beyond just simply working properly after the Denon failed again out of warranty). But I won't be able to try out the settings to confirm them, since the repair estimate on the Denon was higher than the Oppo cost.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• robert L
              • Jul 2008

i hav a rotel processor as well rsp1068 and if i dont select multi inputs my sacd player will never work, i set mine up as video 4 multi in so when ever i press video 4 on the remote im ready for sacd

Comment

• DelRay
                • Jun 2004

Robert, Why don't you just use the multi input button instead of video 4. For SACD/DVD-A 5.1 analog input is used. Just curious

Comment

• robert L
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by DelRay
                  Robert, Why don't you just use the multi input button instead of video 4. For SACD/DVD-A 5.1 analog input is used. Just curious
                  delray, your 100% right i do do that, i forgot..duh,havent used it in awile

Comment

• cvinci
                    • Mar 2005

this is the first time i have tried playing a SACD. i bought one to try it out. As i said i have wires from denon 3910 multi into rotel multi input..chose multi on rotel and on denon choose multi..nothing plays..i am going nuts..i made sure hdmi was off on denon as well and tried random buttons as well ie on denon multi, stereo etc etc..on rotel multi, cd, dvd video 1,2,3,4...

Comment

• cvinci
                      • Mar 2005

excuse my manners..thank you all for you input and advice

Comment

• DelRay
                        • Jun 2004

Sounds like it could be a bad laser. Does the SACD icon light up when you close the tray? I bought a used 3910 and it wouldn't play multichannel sacd at all and only sometimes play a hybred. Took awhile to get my money back and I was out the cost of shipping. Lesson learned. I'm sure most 3910's play great, I just got a bad one.

Comment

• robert L
                          • Jul 2008

try a dvd A and see if it works im pretty sure the 3910 does dvd A as well, i know how fustrating it can be, ive been there

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"