X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jallenbass
    • Nov 2008

Zaph on amplification?

Since I have heard at least one of John's designs and am very impressed I was curious if anyone knows what he considers worthy amplification. His blog mentions that he doesn't think the vintage is worthwhile but that's all that I can find.
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Which speaker is it you want to drive? I don't know what John recommends, but I can give you some ideas if I know about the speakers you want to use. I don't recommend older vintage amps, but buying used can be a good way to get a higher quality amp for the money.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• jallenbass
      • Nov 2008

Sr-71

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

The SR-71 is a fairly easy load to drive and also a good power handler. Depending on the size of your room and listening levels you should look for something in the 60 - 150 RMS watt range.

I'll PM you with some links to the used gear.

Emotiva amps also seem to be well liked.
        Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

These are just suggestions of course. It shouldn't be a difficult speaker to drive.
        John unk:

Comment

• jallenbass
          • Nov 2008

It's not that I'm looking for general suggestions regarding power amps and such. It's just that John has very specific ideas about audio and so far I like his ideas. There are plenty examples of his speaker preferences of course. Just curious how that carries over to amplification.

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Well, you might try private messaging him on the HTGuide, if possible.

If his preferences for amplification are anything like his speaker prefs, then that would be an amp with low distortion and high linearity. Specifically, low high order harmonic distortion which is more offensive to the ear than say 2nd or 3rd.

As far as what brands he likes, I haven't a clue.
            John unk:

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

I think he uses NAD amplification.

Comment

• 69Stingray
                • Feb 2007

I think he uses NAD amplification.

I agree, I remember a few years ago he still have some amp stuff on his site. I think NAD was his favorite in the price per performance category.

Comment

• JonP
                  • Apr 2006

Yeah, buried down in some part of his site (Archives?) he has his former brag page for his NAD's... Has some statement that he likes them but thinks many vintage amps aren't as good bang for the buck as they used to be.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by JonP
                    Yeah, buried down in some part of his site (Archives?) he has his former brag page for his NAD's... Has some statement that he likes them but...
                    (am I the only one that found this incredibly funny? :W
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"