X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nmuntz
    • Jul 2008

Zaph's Old School Inexpensive Mini MTM build

I've had this project on the back burner for literally years. Zaph pulled the design a few years ago and replaced it with the BAMTM. This one is based on the MCM 55-1855 5" Midbass and Seas 27TFFC Tweeter. I used Bondo and drywall compound to fill cracks and edge seal. The finish is 3 coats of sealing primer, Rustoleum Painter's Touch Dark Grey, and some Rustoleum clear gloss stuff.

In my 15 years or so of doing DIY, this is one of the best sounding pairs I've ever built.

It's not a design you'd likely choose today, but I just thought I post pictures because I love looking at DIY'd stuff no matter the vintage or design.

• mayhem13
    • May 2008

Those turned out really nice. Glad you're happy with them. The slight texture is a nice touch !

Comment

• dawg1161
      • May 2006

Very nice job. I bet your ready for another build ?

Comment

• Blktre
        • Apr 2008

Nice color matching w/your NAD!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

Very nice looking speakers! It's funny, your posting this is interesting timing for me. In between downpours (don't you just love FL weather!) my wife and I were cleaning out the garage today. I've got so many boxes of crap in the garage it isn't funny. I found that I have 4 of these woofers that I purchased years ago and I've got a pair of 27TDFC's that haven't been used yet. I got the idea that these could be used as MTM's for the bedroom. My wife even gave the idea her blessing. So I may be building something somewhat similar in the near future!

Comment

• nmuntz
            • Jul 2008

Very nice job. I bet your ready for another build ?
            Yes, but my wife isn't! Something about finishing a basement..?

Nice color matching w/your NAD!
            Thanks. Yeah, it worked out pretty well.

Comment

• CupCak3
              • Oct 2007

that finish actually turned out pretty damn good for a couple of rattle cans

nice work!

Comment

• jhatch
                • Jan 2005

Is there any chance you could post the crossover schematic for these?
                I'd like to build but lost the schematic long ago. Thanks

Comment

• jkrutke
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jhatch
                  Is there any chance you could post the crossover schematic for these?
                  I'd like to build but lost the schematic long ago. Thanks
                  That project is not posted on my site any longer, because it's not up to my standard of good sound. (not to take anything away from nmuntz's excellent build) Generally, I don't want people to build it or distribute the design. Same thing for several other designs, such as the Silver Flute 5" system and the Tangband W3-871 full range system among many others.

IMHO, all designs should have a limited lifespan. If we didn't press onward, we'd all still be building Vifa P17 systems.
                  Zaph|Audio

Comment

• understandin
                    • Jan 2007

What is the crossover frequency of this design?

Comment

• Johnloudb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by jkrutke
                      That project is not posted on my site any longer, because it's not up to my standard of good sound. (not to take anything away from nmuntz's excellent build) Generally, I don't want people to build it or distribute the design. Same thing for several other designs, such as the Silver Flute 5" system and the Tangband W3-871 full range system among many others.

IMHO, all designs should have a limited lifespan. If we didn't press onward, we'd all still be building Vifa P17 systems.
                      C'mon John,

Our main system consists of some 20 year old speakers (albeit good ones), and I don't find I'm missing all that much. In fact, even though they're somewhat less detailed than many newer designs, they still have a naturalness to the sound that really like.

I'm in no way suggesting you should post or share designs that you've discarded. But, some may prefer an older design for whatever reason.

Obviously, you know your speakers better than anyone. But old speakers have legs too. :dancenana: :B
                      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"