X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drsiebling
    • Jan 2006

Turntable Decision-Making: HELP!

Hey Everyone!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a "new" turntable and was hoping you guys might help me narrow-down my choices.

I'm trying to decide between the following:

Linn Axis - Basik Plus Tonearm, K5 Cartridge
    Sota Comet w/ aluminum platter - S250 Tonearm, cartridge TBD
    Systemdek IIX - Alphason Opal Tonearm, Rega Exact Cartridge

All of these are in the same basic price range, with the Systemdek package being about $150 more than the others. All three are under $500.

So, given those choices, what would you choose? I'm leaning towards the Systemdek package due to its superior tonearm and cartridge, but the other two would save me a few bucks while still being of nice quality.

Help!
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

I'm don't know. Linn makes real good tables. I've never heard of the third one on your list. I listened to the Linn once, don't remember what arm and cart it had, but it sounded really neutral and musical. But listen impressions are kind of worthless given that I've never A-B compared turntables on the same system.

Did you consider the VPI Scout? They have some discounted here, that are B-stock ones and have a slight cosmetic blemish on the arm or plinth.

The world's largest online retailer of high-end audio, audiophile music, and accessories. We specialize in vinyl records and turntables.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

I just noticed you said under $500. Where can you get a Sota Comet with S250 arm, or a Linn for under $500. I want to know! Oh, are they used?
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• drsiebling
        • Jan 2006

Definitely used... sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Either of the first two will give you many hours of quality listening (with proper set-up of course), but I've never heard the third so I can't help there. Have you heard a similar Linn or Sota? I'd let your ears be the judge if possible.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

All three are 'suspension' type tables, I would consider the cost of replacing the wearable/age affected suspension components along with the belts essential.

Most if not all of these, from what I could gather, have the interconnects hardwired to the table, so no easy way to upgrade via I/C cables.

I have never heard any of these, but think they are probably close in performance, and were marketed as decent 'starter' tables. Not much available AFA upgrades, even with the Linn (this model was fairly unique in their line). I would make a guess that cartage performance will have greatest influence.

I considered a Sota before I got my MMF-7 (used). Sota is American made and is known for their great customer support, if that matters to you.

What will you be using as your phono-pre?
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• audiolab1
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by drsiebling
              Hey Everyone!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a "new" turntable and was hoping you guys might help me narrow-down my choices.

I'm trying to decide between the following:

Linn Axis - Basik Plus Tonearm, K5 Cartridge

Help!
              I would be very careful buying a used Axis. These tables were notorious for issues with the motor driver supply which is nearly impossible to repair if it dies. My favorite in this price range is still the Rega P3 with an Audio Technica OC9-MkII cart.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"