X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiko
    • Dec 2009

Looking for new cartridge + stylus - Help appreciated

Hi everyone

I am shopping for a new cartridge + stylus for my turntable, or so I think. I currently own an entry-level Stanton T50x turntable bought 5 years ago when I wasn't too sure going back to vinyl would be as exciting and feasible as it is now. I run that Stanton through a Yamaha RX-V863 receiver with a pair of B&W 684 speakers. The problem is I'm not terribly happy with the sound. I suppose the weakest link in my setup is either the turntable or the receiver. But the problem is I live in Brazil, where taxes for imported electronics are so outrageous that I don't really have lots of shopping options. But as I am looking at being in New York sometime soon, I am in doubt as to whether I should:

a) Get a new cartridge + stylus to replace the original Stanton 520SK?
    I play mostly jazz and rock records, so the scratch capability of the 520SK doesn't matter one bit to me. I only bought that cartridge because I was told it was decent enough and I thought it would be resistant, which is important, as I don't get replacements easily. If option a is the way to go, which new cartridge + stylus would you suggest? I'd be willing to spend up to 250 dollars.

b) Get a new turntable?
    If that should be the case, I'd spend up to 1000 dollars, cartridge included. But what model, what brand?

c) My receiver is the one piece that should be replaced?
    I know I bought a home theater receiver and I run a stereo setup, which is not good. The fact is I haven't been able to go through the hassle of running cable through my tight living room to upgrade to a full surround setup. I've been told (by shop owners, mind it) that I should get rid of this receiver and get something like a Rotel or Nad stereo receiver.

The last piece of info that should be considered is that I have a baby at home so I can't really play music at the volumes I'd like plus I work a lot, so I don't really have a lot of leisure time at this stage of my life. And that sucks.

All insights (technical, philosphical) are greatly appreciated.
  • gimpy
    • Sep 2004

Hi, kiko, I am kind of new to vinyl listening, but from what I find on the internet about your turntable and cartridge are that it is a table and cartridge made to be used by dj's. Supposedly, these play/sound quite a bit differently than home-listening types of turntables.

Personally, I would look for another turntable/cartridge, used or new. I think, for the type of money you listed, you could certainly get a pretty nice tt. Your 863 does have a phono input, so you don't necessarily need a phono pre-amp, unless the Yammie's does not sound good (I have no experience with that specific receiver, although I also run my tt through an AVR--Harman Kardon with a separate inexpensive phono pre-amp-the AT PEQ3). I don't know the 684's, but B & W makes nice speakers in my opinion (my rears in my surround system are the DM 303's from B & W--an entry level book shelf speaker).

So, IMNSHO, I would first look for, at least a new non-dj cartridge, or another non dj turntable/cartridge.

My opinion only, good luck with whatever you decide.

edit: I just had to throw this in, I love Diana Krall's "Live in Rio" video dvd.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Kiko,

I recommend getting away from the DJ-style turntable, too. Some good turntables are out there for under $1,000. The Music Hall MMF-5 is one that comes to mind. The link is more for information than anything, although that is a decent price for it.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

If you're coming to New York, I recommend you pay a visit to Stereo Exchange in Manhattan. They carry Pro-Ject turntables and Grado cartridges among others, from which you can put together a nice vinyl playback system in your budget range. Here are some links. At the Needle Doctor site you can get an idea of what prices are generally like.

4 Our Ears is the Official Grado Store, and the place to find all Grado Labs headphones, phono cartridges, and genuine accessories at unbeatable prices. Free domestic shipping on all headphones. Full USA warranty.

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

I love vinyl and agree with Glen on the Pro-Ject grado idea. Only, in as much as I want to support brick and morter stores, I think you should look at Audiogon for used. Personally, I would also include Clearaudio, and Music Hall, in your search. I have owned both and loved them. Be careful with cartridge selection. I don't know your AV receiver but, would guess that it would only support MM cartridges.

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

Bob, where is New Orleans are you ? My wife and I vacationed for a week in N.O. earlier this year. Its a lovely city you live in, with very friendly people. We toured the Garden District, 9th Ward, and of course, the French Quarter. The one week we spent was too short though, and we plan on coming back for a longer stay.

Glen

Comment

• Bob
              • Jul 2000

Glen,
              I no longer live in New Orleans. When I did I first lived in the warehouse district. Despite having a beautiful two level converted loft with all the most modern amenities the noise from the street drove me out.
              The studio I was working for found me a great 3 story house about a block from Audobon Park in the garden district. However, I just couldn't adjust to the city or the state. To much dirt and corrupion for me.
              With great difficulty and financial lost, I got out of my contract and left. I now live in Wilmington N.C. No longer feeling like I live in a third world country.

Comment

• kiko
                • Dec 2009

Thanks everyone for the tips. The needledoctor site seems to be a great start. It's good to know that apparently my problem is easier to solve than I imagined. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"