X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iiaudio
    • Feb 2008

Budget turntable

I've been borrowing my father's vintage Thornes turntable for the past 10 years because he lost interest in his LPs. Long story short, he was over at my place for the holidays, we played a few albums and he wants it back.

The Sony PS-LX150H I own doesn't cut it, I've got about $500-$600 to replace it. What should I be looking at?

Thanks.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

New or used?

How comfortable are with cartridge set-up?

New Rega, ProJect & Music Hall units in your price range are basically 'plug & play' from the factory with the carts already installed and aligned.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• exojam
      • Dec 2006

If you go used, you may want to look at a Rega 3. I picked up a used Rega Planar 3 for about 450 and put an Ortofon 2M Blue(200) on it and was happy with it (until the upgrade bug took over).

I was originally using the Phono inputs on my Denon 3803 but later picked up a Cambridge Audio 640P which made a good difference in sound.

If you go used make sure the person selling it knows how to package it so it will not be damaged in shipping.

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

+1 for Rega or Music Hall.

I haven't checked around recently, wondering if you could scoop up a VPI HW19 Jr for that price range...
        Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Not to long ago my friend picked up a MusicHall MMF-5.1 for 550 bucks. Very nice TT.

Comment

• exojam
            • Dec 2006

Just a quick check on Audiogon, there is a decked out Rega 3 for the top end of your budget. If you could go there and maybe another 100 for your cartridge, maybe a Ortofon 2M Red? If not, just keep checking around for some deals and check for the other brands guys have mentioned.

Comment

• Russ L
              • Jul 2006

Are you using a phono stage within an amp or did your father take the phono pre as well? Remember that a good phono stage is as important to the sound as a TT or the cartridge.
              Russ

Comment

• iiaudio
                • Feb 2008

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward new, but if I can find one used locally I'd be into that. I'm not too keen on buying sight unseen.

I'll be using the phono pre on my rotel RC-1082 which has been doing a nice job.

Comment

• H.T.C
                  • Nov 2003

I believe marantz makes a few turntables and may have 1 around the $500.00 price point.
                  Robert

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I'll second the recommendation of the Music Hall MMF 5.1

It's a turntable/arm/cartridge system that produces excellent sound and comes already set up.

FWIW, the Rega P2 should have been right along side the MMF 5.1 but it's been discontinued by Rega. However, because of that, you still might be able to find a new one and get it at a really good price.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

The cart's that come with the MMF's are extremely nice and usually if bought separately are like 1/2 the cost or more of the TT :B

Comment

• littlesaint
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        The cart's that come with the MMF's are extremely nice and usually if bought separately are like 1/2 the cost or more of the TT :B
                        Agreed.

I picked up a used MMF-5 (glass platter) for <$400 awhile back. The 5 and 5.1 come with a Goldring 1012GX MM which runs about $300 separately.
                        Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

I'm happy with my mmf-5SE. Bought it "pre-owned" , but in the original , unopened box , for under $600. :T
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"