• Show
Clear All
  • ClosetSciFiGeek
    • Oct 2009

Which First Turntable?

Project Debut III

Rega P1

Music Hall MMF2.2

Which one and why for a first foray into analog?
    "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
    -Hyman G. Rickover
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

All three will give you good value and sound as a "starter" turntable. Can you go to a dealer and listen to them? That's where you can make the best choice as to what suites you. If not and you are buying blind, my choice would be the Rega. It's a direct-drive so no first-time messing around with belts, you get a proven cartridge (Ortofon OM5E) and lastly you get a Rega tonearm (in this case their new RB100) for which Rega is well known.

Regardless of which you choose, welcome to the world of vinyl. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
      • Oct 2009

Thanks Dave

Coincidentally, the only dealer I know of nearby is a Rega dealer. Thanks for your vote.
      "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
      -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Industrial
        • Mar 2009

I got to demo Rega and Project turntables. I had the choice between similar price ranges. Project 9.1 or Rega P5. The Project to me sounded almost too "digital" just too harsh. The Rega sounded very "musical" and smooth. What I liked about the project was the actual turntable looked pretty damn cool. But the rega had an amazing Arm. I picked the Rega p5. Thats just my opinion. And about Music Hall, I keep reading they are made in the same factory that make Pro-Ject (I dunno for real).

Conclusion from what I just wrote above is I would for the Rega. That and since you have a Rega Dealer you can get it setup professionally and have maintenance done on it (My dealer recommended every few years)

Comment

• twitch54
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
          my choice would be the Rega. It's a direct-drive so no first-time messing around with belts
          Are you sure ?? I thought all the Rega's were belt driven.......regardless, myself, not a fan of the entry level Rega. if for no other reason than the mdf platter.

Myself I'd save a few extra $$ for a Technics 1200, yes I know it's not in the three you mentioned but I trully believe it's worth the extra couple of bucks.

Regardless of which you choose, welcome to the world of vinyl. :T
          for this I concur !!....
          Dave

Comment

• 1oldguy
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by twitch54
            Are you sure ?? I thought all the Rega's were belt driven.......regardless, myself, not a fan of the entry level Rega. if for no other reason than the mdf platter.

Myself I'd save a few extra $$ for a Technics 1200, yes I know it's not in the three you mentioned but I trully believe it's worth the extra couple of bucks.

for this I concur !!....
            I also agree and will go this route as well when I go for a TT.
            A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by twitch54
              Are you sure ?? I thought all the Rega's were belt driven.
              The higher-end models are belt driven, but after looking at the website, I can't find any reference to a belt on the P1.

Burke, being a multiple Rega owner, do you have any insights on this?

Addendum: Okay, looked at the owner's manual and yes the P1 is belt-driven, also.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Industrial
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by David Meek
                The higher-end models are belt driven, but after looking at the website, I can't find any reference to a belt on the P1.

Burke, being a multiple Rega owner, do you have any insights on this?

Addendum: Okay, looked at the owner's manual and yes the P1 is belt-driven, also.
                P5 owner here, reading left me to think the P1 is belt driven as well.

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
                  • Mar 2009

I have the P5 now had the pro-ject as your talking about for my first :T and who ever wrote that the Rega is more musical etc is right. The RB700 arm on the Rega or RB300 is found on decks that cost exceeds the 1000's mark. And oh...Rega is.............set it and forget it!!!!!! ;x(

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"