X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Industrial
    • Mar 2009

Proud new owner of a Rega P5 TT

Just went out and demoed the Rega P5 Turntable. Loved the sound so much I had them order one for me. Should be brought here and setup by next weekend. Got the cherry wood deck. Also got a "Exact" cartridge (the yellow rega one) to go along with it. I tried the one up from that (the blue one) and even tho it had more "detail" it didn't have that "warm" sound I liked from the Exact.

My first Turntable so I'm kinda excited and had to share....
  • Mike_Schmidt
    • Mar 2009

I have that table only with Dynavector Karot cart and moon phono stage. Hope you enjoy and remember that arm you have RB700 can handle any cart you throw at it and if look at most reviews with other brands they often use the lesser RB300.
    The power supply does make a difference by dropping the sound floor buy quite a margin.
    Lovely deck, and oh dont go so much on reviews Rega doesn't advertise so they dont much press they just make good tables.

Comment

• Industrial
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Mike_Schmidt
      I have that table only with Dynavector Karot cart and moon phono stage. Hope you enjoy and remember that arm you have RB700 can handle any cart you throw at it and if look at most reviews with other brands they often use the lesser RB300.
      The power supply does make a difference by dropping the sound floor buy quite a margin.
      Lovely deck, and oh dont go so much on reviews Rega doesn't advertise so they dont much press they just make good tables.
      Actually I found tons of reviews for the Rega p5 and they were all positive. I plan on getting a nice tube phono stage (using a tonar for now) and the Rega power supply after sticker shock wears off

What do you think of the moon phono stage? I was also looking at the graham slee gold but thats going to have to wait now since i went for the p5 instead of the p3 heh.

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
        • Mar 2009

I would go with the Graham Slee for sure over the Moon in a heart beat. Power supply you will like, just not how it fits...you'll see what I mean!!! Enjoy it still beats up my new cyrus 8SE CD for fun. Im looking for a different MC phono right now just have to find the right one and at this point the right price.

Comment

• Industrial
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Mike_Schmidt
          I would go with the Graham Slee for sure over the Moon in a heart beat. Power supply you will like, just not how it fits...you'll see what I mean!!! Enjoy it still beats up my new cyrus 8SE CD for fun. Im looking for a different MC phono right now just have to find the right one and at this point the right price.
          Oh yea, the power supply in the future is definite. If for nothing but the easy speed change.

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
            • Mar 2009

that push button makes life easier going to 45's for my Metallica LP's!

Comment

• twitch54
              • Apr 2006

Congrats on the P-5, without doubt a winner of a tt !! Your 'black pizza' will appreciate it, not to mention your ears !
              Dave

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I concur, Dave. The P5 with the 700 should provide any music lover endless joy.

Enjoy your new table, Industiral, and get ready for the addiction that will follow along with many hours of listening bliss.
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Industrial
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by wkhanna
                  I concur, Dave. The P5 with the 700 should provide any music lover endless joy.

Enjoy your new table, Industiral, and get ready for the addiction that will follow along with many hours of listening bliss.
                  I already have that addiction with my fully digital setup. This is an additional flavor

Still have to wait a few days for it to get here. Now I'm obsessing about which Phono stage to get in the future. I really want to play with tubes but most are so expensive!

Comment

• miner
                    • Mar 2005

I have a P7, previously had the P5. I use a Graham Slee Era Gold V as my phono stage (and my Mc C2200 pre has a decent built-in). The GS is just so smooth. If you decide later to go with a LO MC then you can get the Elevator (step-up transformer) to use along with the Era Gold. I used the Exact on my P5 and had the TTPSU also. Great combo. I currently use the DV20XH with my P7.

Comment

• Industrial
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by miner
                      I have a P7, previously had the P5. I use a Graham Slee Era Gold V as my phono stage (and my Mc C2200 pre has a decent built-in). The GS is just so smooth. If you decide later to go with a LO MC then you can get the Elevator (step-up transformer) to use along with the Era Gold. I used the Exact on my P5 and had the TTPSU also. Great combo. I currently use the DV20XH with my P7.
                      How is the P7 vs P5? Huge difference or subtle? Just curious as this dealer has 100% tradeup program. Could always get it in the future instead of upgrading and tweaking the P5.

Comment

• miner
                        • Mar 2005

It was a not huge/not subtle difference. The ceramic platter, ruby bearing/alum subplatter, better arm & wire plus included TTPSU does make a sonic signature difference. My dealer gave me a helluva deal - I only had to pay $800 differnece. To be quite honest with you do not throw money into upgrades - leave the Rega sound alone. You will get a different sonic impact, not necessarily better though.

Comment

• twitch54
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Industrial
                          which Phono stage to get in the future. I really want to play with tubes but most are so expensive!
                          Actually most phono stage tubes arn't that bad (unless you go nuts with 'rolling') and besides there respectife should be measured in the thousands of hours !

FWIW, in my analog rig I employ a ARC PH-5, happy as can be !
                          Dave

Comment

• Industrial
                            • Mar 2009

Update, got my Rega P5 last weekend and I haven't stop playing vinyl. Its so clear/warm/full sounding! Except for tics and pops that come here and there I like the sound much more then digital. I can't wait to demo some tube phono preamps and see if that adds anything to the mix.

Comment

• Bob
                              • Jul 2000

Glad to hear that your TT is living up to your expectations. Enjoy.

Comment

• Industrial
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by miner
                                Currently reviewing the DV20XH! I had to settle for the Elyse 2 cartridge. I realize for vinyl I prefer a warm/full/non fatiguing sound vs analytical. Getting a tube Phono stage soon, but I'm wondering if I can improve on the cartridge. I picture the sound I want as being surrounded/warmed by the music vs pure information, hard to describe.

Comment

• twitch54
                                  • Apr 2006

Getting a tube Phono stage soonI picture the sound I want as being surrounded/warmed by the music vs pure information, hard to describe.
                                  Not sure of your budget but this would be a superb choice, IMO.........

Trickle-down technology is a grand thing. It's comparatively easy to build an exceptional audio component when there are no constraints on technology, cost, user-friendliness, or lack thereof, but top designers are now packing more and more of the excellence of damn-the-torpedoes components into more affordable and accessible packages. Which brings us to the Aesthetix Rhea, a tubed phono preamplifier of exceptionally distinguished lineage.
                                  Dave

Comment

• alebonau
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Oct 2005

Update, got my Rega P5 last weekend and I haven't stop playing vinyl. Its so clear/warm/full sounding! Except for tics and pops that come here and there I like the sound much more then digital. I can't wait to demo some tube phono preamps and see if that adds anything to the mix.
                                    niceone industrail, a p9 owner here, I had a p25 before from which the p5 was born !

a tube phono stage here as well. and arc ph5 like twitch and it works a treat with the rega sound in my opinion

the stylus you use and phono stage are an import combination in my opinion, so if can borrow an option or two probably best way to know what works to your liking
                                    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Industrial
                                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by twitch54
                                      Not sure of your budget but this would be a superb choice, IMO.........

http://www.stereophile.com/phonopreamps/925/#
                                      Looks damn nice, out of my budget for now. Rather get a p9 before upgrading to such a nice Phono stage. The one Im going to be demoing in a couple of weeks is the Xindac Lp1, Looks great, a little over $1000. Uses 4 tubes, power supply is separated by another case yet still united by the same brushed silver faceplate. Weighs in at 21lbs and 13inches wide, hell of a lot bigger then the one Im using now which is probably .5lbs and 3inches wide.

Comment

• Industrial
                                        • Mar 2009

Still waiting on that Tube phono! Dealer felt bad and lent me a Graham Slee Era Gold to use until it came in. So far I like it, very smooth yet clean and detailed. He will let me try out both at home before I decide. Another option for me now is to keep the GS and get a softer/musical catridge like the Nagoaka M500. I was entertaining the idea of the graham slee + tube buffer for times when I wanted some tube "color". Me and the dealer both agreed it would just add another needed link in the chain. I do admit, the cymbals in rock music sound a lot better on the GS then on my Tonar. I wonder if manufactures ever thought of a way to send the highs/lows to a SS device like the GS and the mids to a tube based phono. Bet it would sound amazing.

Comment

• Industrial
                                          • Mar 2009

I got the Xindak LP-1 a few days ago. WOW! My dealer was nice enough to let me borrow a Graham Slee Era Gold V with the PSU for a month. I thought the GS was amazing. Then I got the Xindak, I has the clarity and nice extended highs and slamming bass of the GS but the mids sound soooo much better (subjective I know). I think my dealer and I are the two firsts in my city to probably own these and were both pretty damn impressed. Once I figure out how to the open the chassis that contains the Tubes I will be happy. I wonder how it wlil sound once I replace these stock tubes, which are pretty damn clear. Maybe something more "romantic" sounding.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"