X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bri
    • Dec 2006

Dual subs, different drivers?

Hi all, I am currently using an Audiomobile MASS 2012 S4 (single 4 ohm voice coil) in a ported enclosure for my home theater. I also have a dual voice coil version sitting unused and was thinking about adding it as well - you can never have too much bass . Is it reasonable to use two separate subs in home theater? Will they have bad cancellation effects if placed in opposite corners, or side by side? Do their slightly different T/S params matter? I would probably just wire one coil from the dvc version so that I could use a 4 ohm amp.

Dual voice coil specs:

Single voice coil specs:

Thanks!
    Brian
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sure build it.

Experiment placment when it's done.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I've found that two subs do wonders for headroom plus let you workaround some placement/response issues. Thomas helped me fix up my room with two subs and it worked great.
      Danish

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Two subs are a lot more work to get perfect, but the effort can result in an improved overall room response.

I beleive it is easier to get two subs to work in a room if the subs are the same. So, I would try and model your first sub and try to nearly match it with the second sub. Then it is just a matter of room positioning and experimentation.

The Harmon Papers on Sub placement are always quoted as the referance on this issue. Unfortunaltly, it deals with ideal rooms. It will give you the basic knowladge, then you can play.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Bri
          • Dec 2006

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try to build it sometime late summer. It's amazing how loud and clean just the lone sub and my Modula MTMs get right now, can't wait to do some amp/sub upgrades in the future!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"