X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

Whats the point of a Phono Preamp?

Is it only if you don't have a phone input?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That's part of it, also using an outboard phono pre-amp allows the buyer a wider choice of design options..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

It amplifies the signal from the cartridge. A pre-amp has a built in phono stage. However, today few pre-amps have this and is why you see the term line stage used instead.

Comment

• exojam
        • Dec 2006

Sort of following what Thomas had said. I have a Denon 3803 which has phono input but will only accept a MM style cartridge. Also, from what I have gathered, components that have a phono input like mine are not that great (this statement obviously does not cover all processors). I picked up a little Cambridge Audio 640P that will take either MC or MM ti use in my system.

Once I started using the CA with my Ortofon 2M Blue, I changed cables to the CD input of the Denon this gave me a real nice boast in sound quality.

Comment

• Russ L
          • Jul 2006

A quality Phono line stage is as important as a quality cartridge. Both greatly improve the sound quality.
          Russ

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"