X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soccerball
    • May 2008

Modifications for Shanling CD T80

Hi, just want to see who out there has experience in modifying their Shanling T80. I heard the first thing to do is to replace the stock tubes with something like WE 396A. I wonder what kind of an improvement can be expected? Is that a hugh difference in sound quality? Thanks for your advice.
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

I have changed changed tubes to the WE 396A's but prefered the stock tubes and stayed with them. Very slight difference, the stock tubes are a bit more dynamic. Also I changed my op amps to the AD 825's which provide a bit sharper sound and maby a bit more detail. Again nothing day and night. Haven't tried changing the stock clock yet.

You would probably be tuning the sound more than improving it. Better to invest money in effective room treatment.

Comment

• Soccerball
      • May 2008

Hi, DL86. Thanks a lot for the reply. I was reading some posts on other websites and some people sound like the change to WE396a makes a huge difference. Is it hard to change to opamp? how much did that cost you?

Comment

• DL86
        • Sep 2005

It is very easy to change both opamps and tubes. Make sure the opamps you buy are dual opamps. AD825 for example is a single opamp only therefore you need a brown dog and 2 AD825 opamps, but this can be done by the supplier prior to your purchase. http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/B...MD+-+With+Pins

It cost me around $120 AUD for 6 x AD825 single opamps and 3 single to dual opamp adaptors. The current opamps in there the BB OPA2607 are a dual in one op amp.

I didn't hear much difference with changing electronics, they are subtle changes in my system. I did however hear a massive difference when my SVS PB-13 Ultra arrived a few days ago

Comment

• Soccerball
          • May 2008

So, DL86. Are you willing to sell your WE396A if that's no use to you? I want to give it a shoot. Let me know what price you are looking for to sell. Thanks.

Comment

• Music4Life
            • May 2006

Originally posted by DL86
            I have changed changed tubes to the WE 396A's but prefered the stock tubes and stayed with them. Very slight difference, the stock tubes are a bit more dynamic. Also I changed my op amps to the AD 825's which provide a bit sharper sound and maby a bit more detail. Again nothing day and night. Haven't tried changing the stock clock yet.

You would probably be tuning the sound more than improving it. Better to invest money in effective room treatment.
            True. Changing stock tubes and opamps will only produce a very slight upgrade which is not worth doing at all. I have this CDP for awhile but sold it after a year of usage. Invested on WE96A and BB OPA627's but you will still think of some more upgrades (never ending).

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"