X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

Shanling CD-T80 is good!

Well, I thought I might write about the shanling cd-t80 i just received today. I received the CD player triple boxed with packaging that was out of this world. After unpacking it and placing everything in place I played my first CD on it, RHCP Stadium Arcadium. I have the CD player directly connected to my Rotel rb-1090 power amp and Paradigm Studio 100v3 speakers. I used to run them with a marantz dv6400 dvd player and yamaha rx-v657 receiver as a pre amp. The improvement in sound the CD-T80 has brought was phenomenal. What was a tiny 2D sound stage has now become into a big open 3D dimensional sound stage. Gone was the harsh and ringing treble that I absolutly hated about my previous set up, the treble is now grain free and a joy to listen to. There is a much higher degree of control in the bass, this was evident when I heard Metallica's Enter sandman. The amount of detail retreived from the CD by the cdt80 is amazing, I am hearing a lot of things that I could not hear before, this is not my imagination infact its down right obvious at how much more detail is retreived from the CD. The valve output stage really does make the midrange magic happen. Overall sound quality is a night and day difference. The improvements were not only apparent to me but also my mother and my freinds who know very little about sound.

This has got to be the best $1500 AUD I spent on my sound system to date! Also when I heard the player at the shop I compared it with the CD-T100C to me the difference in sound was not there, and also compared to the MF A3.5 which to me was outclassed by both shanling's. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to buy a CD player in this price range.
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

thanks for sharing. I was thinking of getting the T80, but then saw the T100 with the illuminated tubes and couldn't decide. The T80 is much more affordable though.

Comment

• Scumurculum
      • Sep 2006

As a CD-T80 owner for the last year i can confirm it is a fantastic sounding peice of kit.

I also I head it last week running a pair of Martin Logan vantages with a shanling SLM-A40MKII integrated amp. The sounds coming out was some of best I have ever heard and I have listned to far more expensive equipment.

here is a review

Also, from what have been told, there is not a signficant sound quality improvement between the Cd-T80 and the CD-T100 however the CD-T200 is apparantly a wonderful machine.

Comment

• Boombox
        • Oct 2005

DL86,

Did you buy this player new or second-hand? I am also interested in the CD-T80 and will most-probably have to import it from the UK. However, on the Shanling manufacturer's website the CD-T80 is not listed and the CD-T100 is discontinued.

Any advice?
        Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• DL86
          • Sep 2005

I bought this player brand new. I know it is not listed in the shanling website. It is however listed for the Australian distriubtor soundlabs (www.soundlabsgroup.com.au). From what I have heard the T100 is being discontinued but the T80 will still be in production, that is what someone from soundlabs told me. Ok to import just make sure the distributor is a certified shanling dealer and the voltage rating of the player meets SA's specification.

Cheers, David

Comment

• Scumurculum
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DL86
            I bought this player brand new. I know it is not listed in the shanling website. It is however listed for the Australian distriubtor soundlabs (www.soundlabsgroup.com.au). From what I have heard the T100 is being discontinued but the T80 will still be in production, that is what someone from soundlabs told me. Ok to import just make sure the distributor is a certified shanling dealer and the voltage rating of the player meets SA's specification.

Cheers, David

I have heard much the same.

the CD-t100 is being discontinued mainly as it is a HDCD (as well as Redbook)player and apparently such players are no longer being made,

Also a new version of the CD-t200 is coming out with a changed circuit design that runs cooler so there is no need for the internal fan.

No changes to the CD-t80 as far as I know

Comment

• Boombox
              • Oct 2005

David,

you say you plugged the CD-T80 directly into the power-amp. Does the player have an onboard volume control?

Comment

• DL86
                • Sep 2005

Yes it does! That is one of the best things I like about this player. Plug it straight into the power amp no bass/treble control no EQ nothing to tune just simple plug and play with a volume control and perfect sound every time. Although the volume can only be adjusted by remote not on the player it self.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

You couldn't hear a difference between the CDT80 and the CDT100 because a CDT80 is a CDT100 in a plain brown wrapper.

Enjoy....I've had my CDT100 for a little over a year now. It's connected directly to a pair of NuForce Ref9 monoblocks without a preamp (that volume control feature is the best) which drive a pair of B&W XT4s.
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Midnite Mick
                    • Apr 2006

I havent tried that with my Consonance ref 2.2 tubed. I may have to for fun. I too have the ref 9's.

Mike

Comment

• Boombox
                      • Oct 2005

Just put in my order for the CD-T80!

Comment

• DL86
                        • Sep 2005

Great to hear! Tell us what you think about it once you receive it.

Comment

• Hallett
                          • Jun 2006

Do they sell them in the usa.
                          Classe ssp-600
                          Classe CA-M400 Monoblocks
                          Classe CDP-100
                          B&W 802D :T ;x(
                          Velodyne DD-18 :T

Comment

• BTB
                            • Jan 2006

DL 86 & Boombox...

Guys congrats on your new players! I too have just (a week ago) unpacked some new hi fi (with Chinese origins) in the form of a Consonance CD 120 Linear & Calaf integrated amp.

Let me say this... the world of high end audio is a better place with these emerging brands in the marketplace. Just think of what we all would have needed to pay a short while ago to have this level of performance from any of the established brands?

I for one no longer lust after big name gear with shocking price tags. These new products are just so good I can no longer see the point! I am one happy camper....

Comment

• greenjudas
                              • Mar 2005

Sounds like this player could be the answer for having the best of both worlds.Having bought Rotel seperates because they excel over most for 2 ch,this could be a better option.Possibly a cheaper[but still decent] av receiver for h/t and the Shanling with a pwer amp for 2 ch.What do you think?

Comment

• Boombox
                                • Oct 2005

I don't think it wise to argue along "cheaper" gear equal performance lines. One can then easily believe that your kit is slightly inferior to western offerings. Many Chinese brands are top quality and deserve to be rated with the best. What particularly impressed me is the build quality of the CD-T80 even if it is the entry level cd player. Also, the accessories that are shipped with the player is impressive. Mind you, I have not seen it yet, only pics on the internet. I don't know why products from the land of The Great Wall are cheaper, but I also don't know why a Krell KAV400xi costs $2500 in the States and here it costs $5000. I am sure that if the Shanling was made in the USA and sold for $1200 there, it would have cost $2400 here. Then everyone would have ooh'd and ahh'd about it.

That said, I can't wait to get the player!!!!!!!!!!! :T

greenjudas,

everyone would have advised you with "what sounds good to you", "let your ears decide", blah, blah, blah.....but honestly, if you see how these things are built, your jaw will drop....the "money well spent" factor, feeling returns....and I don't mean that the chinese have designed a polymer that looks and feels like aluminium.

Comment

• Scumurculum
                                  • Sep 2006

I just made a really cool discovery about my Shanling CD-T80.

For the last year I have been running it though a Denon AVCA11XV (non US version of the 4806)as a preamp then into a Thule PA350B power amp. Sounded great but I always wanted improvement.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago I decided to try the pre-amp of Shanling and run it directly into the power amp. The effect was WOW the detail and soundstage just opened up improved immensely.

In fact I intend to run the player permantly this way from now on.

Another discovery I found was that the player really needs good quality interconnets otherwise you are not getting the best out of it

Actually if you use really cheap cables it sounds like crap - for some reason more than other players I have owned.

Comment

• Boombox
                                    • Oct 2005

DL86,

It arrived today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.........so far I have one comment.......it was good reading your thread.....I'll post my impression soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Boombox
                                      • Oct 2005

I received the CD player triple boxed with packaging that was out of this world. After unpacking it and placing everything in place I played my first CD on it..........The improvement in sound the CD-T80 has brought was phenomenal. What was a tiny 2D sound stage has now become into a big open 3D dimensional sound stage. Gone was the harsh and ringing treble that I absolutly hated about my previous set up, the treble is now grain free and a joy to listen to. There is a much higher degree of control in the bass........The amount of detail retreived from the CD by the cdt80 is amazing, I am hearing a lot of things that I could not hear before, this is not my imagination infact its down right obvious at how much more detail is retreived from the CD. The valve output stage really does make the midrange magic happen. Overall sound quality is a night and day difference.......I highly recommend it to anyone looking to buy a CD player in this price range.
                                      My setup: Shanling CD-T80 > The Link (Transparent) > Rotel RB1070 > The Wall (Transparent) > Dynaudio Focus 140.

I have the player now for 3 days and I am quoting David because I agree with him to the letter from the triple-boxed to highly recommending at this price point. Truely, the Shanling CD-T80 is good!

Well to get this out the way, the week points are crappy buttons on the remote and no "open/close" button on the remote.

There is one important point DL86 did not mention in his post: Build Quality. It is nothing short of absolutely stunning. This player weighs about 1 - 2kg less than my power amp and lifting it, you immediately notice the heavy power supply on the left hand side and the heavy aluminium face plate on the front. Taking out the remote out of its "silky" sachet, is another cool experience. Its very heavy, made out of aluminium. Great stuff. :T

I have the upsampling switched on and so far I cannot comment on whether the player performs better, what differences there are and what benefits sonically there are with upsampling switched on or off. Hope to follow up this point later. 8O

On sheer looks and build quality, I am seriously considering on upgrading to the CD-T100 or CD-T200C. I have no interests in gaining better sonic qualities, but it will be purely because these players are works of art in their own right. 8)

Comment

• DL86
                                        • Sep 2005

well, I just received a pair of western electric 396A replacement valves for the standard valves for the CD-T80 and I say it is well worth the upgrade. I can definatly say I am hearing more detail in recordings. Midrange has improved. Also I would say an overall warmer sound than the standard tubes, which I like very much. I picked up my pair from ebay at a really low cost compared to what I would pay in shops, just make sure if anyone decides to buy the valves that valves are strongly matched or else im guessing you might get differences in sound between left and right channels. The improvements the valves bring heaviliy out weigh the cost of upgrading the valves imho.

David

Comment

• Music4Life
                                          • May 2006

well, I just received a pair of western electric 396A replacement valves for the standard valves for the CD-T80 and I say it is well worth the upgrade. I can definatly say I am hearing more detail in recordings. Midrange has improved. Also I would say an overall warmer sound than the standard tubes, which I like very much. I picked up my pair from ebay at a really low cost compared to what I would pay in shops, just make sure if anyone decides to buy the valves that valves are strongly matched or else im guessing you might get differences in sound between left and right channels. The improvements the valves bring heaviliy out weigh the cost of upgrading the valves imho.

David

Somebody told me that the RCA 5670 is better replacement for the two 6N3 than the western electric 396A? Did you try the RCA before you use WE?

I am also considering purchasing this player but I am also considering NAD C542 which is US$205 cheaper than the CD T-80. Do you think Shanling is worth the difference?
                                          Last edited by Music4Life; 20 November 2006, 12:08 Monday.

Comment

• Boombox
                                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Music4Life
                                            Do you think Shanling is worth the difference?
                                            You would still ask the same question if it would have been US$2000 difference.

Take it from me, this player should been much more expensive than it is.....both in terms of build quality (there is nothing like it at this pricepoint + 1000$) and more importantly sonic character......

You WILL NOT be sorry you spent the extra....

Comment

• DL86
                                              • Sep 2005

Haven't heard the NAD, but the shanling to me sounded better than a few other cd player's costing nearly twice its price. Nope, never heard of the RCA 5670 I used the WE's because they were recommended to me by www.soundlabsgroup.com.au . Considering the shanling doesn't need a pre amp I would say the shanling would be a better buy. Cannot make any real judgements on the NAD C542. Either way the shanling performs way above its asking price imho.

Comment

• Boombox
                                                • Oct 2005

PrimaLuna Prologue 2

Hey David,

I currently have a PrimaLuna Prologue Two home for an audition......paired with the CD-T80 and the Dynaudios, I do think I have incredible synergy..... :T :T

I'll post my findings soon....

Comment

• Alex999
                                                  • Jun 2006

This player can be ordered directly for $430.00. Here is the link.

Comment

• DL86
                                                    • Sep 2005

Nice, valve cd player with a quality valve amplifier. Never actually heard a valve amplifier before. $430 is a bargain!

Comment

• BTB
                                                      • Jan 2006

Never actually heard a valve amplifier before.
                                                      A great pity. It'll change your life! :W

Comment

• chinets
                                                        • Jun 2005

DL86,
                                                        Thanks for sharing this vital Info.

I have auditioned that Shanling and it was amazing, but I bought the LINN Majestic instead ,as I loved the way it sounded. Shanling and LINN were my final choices in a heap of players I was auditioning, so yes, Shanling is a wonderful and Musical player!!
                                                        Congrats to you and Boombox!!
                                                        Happy listenings guys!!
                                                        Cheers!

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                          • May 2006

Thanks for all your comments.

I bought myself an early Christmas gift. I brought home a new shiny Shanling CD T-80 and 2 WE396A tubes for US$515. I hope I got it at the right price. I was so busy and tired that I need to wait till tomorrow to set it up. I am looking for RCA 5670 but the manager of the shop told me that it is much better to use the WE396A as replacement. I hope he's right because WE cost $17 more than the RCA.

Comment

• Boombox
                                                            • Oct 2005

I bought myself an early Christmas gift. I brought home a new shiny Shanling CD T-80 and 2 WE396A tubes for US$515. I hope I got it at the right price. I was so busy and tired that I need to wait till tomorrow to set it up. I am looking for RCA 5670 but the manager of the shop told me that it is much better to use the WE396A as replacement. I hope he's right because WE cost $17 more than the RCA.
                                                            Congrats!!!.....this is a fantastic player......you will not be dissappointed...

Comment

• r100gs
                                                              • May 2005

Your manager is pointing you in the right direction on tube choice.
                                                              Jay

Comment

• Boombox
                                                                • Oct 2005

Ok,

How much do the WE394A tubes cost each? New. Not on eBay or picking them up 2nd-hand, but picking them up from a reputable dealer.

I looked on WE's website and saw US$300 for the WE396A. 8O. 2xWE394A = $600..... 8O :cry:

I'm also auditioning a PrimaLuna tube amp and it uses 4 KT88 tubes which according to WE is $1700 for "matched quad" which I figure is what you should get as a replacement. Am I seeing this wrong, but is this what it costs to maintain tube equipment?

Comment

• DL86
                                                                  • Sep 2005

I do not think the WE396A's are in production anymore which contributes to their high cost. I think they stopped manufacturing in the 1960's. The original 6n3p tubes in the shanling would be heaps cheaper, something like 5-10 dollars each because they are still in production in Russia. The tubes used for power amplifiers would cost a fair bit more though. I wouldn't be worried maintenance as I have read somewhere the tubes in the shanling would last about 10000 hours of use.

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Boombox
                                                                    Ok,

How much do the WE394A tubes cost each? New. Not on eBay or picking them up 2nd-hand, but picking them up from a reputable dealer.

I looked on WE's website and saw US$300 for the WE396A. 8O. 2xWE394A = $600..... 8O :cry:

I'm also auditioning a PrimaLuna tube amp and it uses 4 KT88 tubes which according to WE is $1700 for "matched quad" which I figure is what you should get as a replacement. Am I seeing this wrong, but is this what it costs to maintain tube equipment?

WE 396A cost US$52 while RCA5670 cost $35. What is the lifespan of the tubes? 3 or 4 years?

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

What is the best direct replacement for opa 2604?

opa 2227
                                                                      opa 2134
                                                                      opa 2132
                                                                      opa 2107
                                                                      others?

Comment

• DL86
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2005

non of the above. I suggest OPA 627 or the AD825 opamp. These are single opamps and you need two of them. To make a dual configuration you would need something like the following http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/pc/...-Modules/Sound

Comment

• Cartman
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2006

Hi!

As I saw, the "first" 2pcs OPA2604's are the I/V converters (each per channel) regarding to TI specifications of PCM1738E, the best OPA to this position is the OPA627BP, but this is a single OPA thereby you need an adapter to installing 2 DIP OPA's into one place ;-)

I got my CD-T80 and I already made the run-in...

This is a very nice CDP in this price!!!

I'm planning to buy 2pcs WE 396A's and I will replace the 2 (I/V) OPA2604's today for 4pcs OPA627BP's with 2pcs Brown-Dog adapters.
                                                                          As I read the function of the "last" 1 piece OPA2604 is differend. This makes the differential signal to single ended output signal (balanced to UN-balanced) and a simple low-pass filter.

I'm finding a best replacement to this OPA2604, beacuse I guess the FAMOUS BB OPA627 isn't the best to this position (( (perhaps the AD797 will be better, I'll also try it)

Has anyone other advice?

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 105

non of the above. I suggest OPA 627 or the AD825 opamp. These are single opamps and you need two of them. To make a dual configuration you would need something like the following http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/pc/...-Modules/Sound

Somebody told me that a NS LM4562 (dual) is also a very good option. Just a drop in replacement. Based on Nat'l Semiconductor's description, it seems a very good chip as well.

Comment

• Cartman
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2006
                                                                              • 2

#39
                                                                              Yes, I also read about it on DiyAudio.com, but when I tried to order 2pcs free samples from National Semicon' the shipping charge would be more than US$20...

I don't like to pay for something what I don't know...

If someone has 2 or 4pcs for trade....I'm ready ;-)

I have lot of DIY-things (opa's, caps, etc... ) :T
                                                                              Last edited by Cartman; 23 November 2006, 04:09 Thursday.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 1537

#40
                                                                                Volume control on CD players IS nice!!
                                                                                My old Denon has it and I love it
                                                                                B&W

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 105

#41
                                                                                  Update on my Shanling:

Changed the three opa2604 to opa 2227 which is a drop in replacement/upgrade. Lesser bass but greatly improved the detail. Much better overall than the stock opa2604. It may not satisfy those heavy rocker, R&B, and those whose music taste is on the Bass side. I am satisfied with it for now. If your kind of music is mellow (spa), Voice, string, piano and wind instrument, this chip is for you. With $13.70 worth of upgrade, not bad at all.

Comment

• Scumurculum
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2006
                                                                                    • 12

#42
                                                                                    An update on my Shanling CD-T80.

I just replace the stock valves with WE396A's (cryo treated)

All I can say is wow.

Before i felt the Shanling (on my system at least) tended to favour the upper frequency a touch.

But with these new valves, suddenly the mid and lower ranges are so much more prominent and sounds so much the better.

The sound is much smoother, and also details have improved.

Definately worth the experiment.

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 105

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Scumurculum
                                                                                      An update on my Shanling CD-T80.

I just replace the stock valves with WE396A's (cryo treated)

All I can say is wow.

Before i felt the Shanling (on my system at least) tended to favour the upper frequency a touch.

But with these new valves, suddenly the mid and lower ranges are so much more prominent and sounds so much the better.

The sound is much smoother, and also details have improved.

Definately worth the experiment.

How about the 3 IC's? Did you replace it with something else? I mean the opa 2604's. Anybody here use the new NS LM4562? Any comment?

Comment

• Scumurculum
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2006
                                                                                        • 12

#44
                                                                                        No apart from the valves the system is stock standard.

Comment

• Music4Life
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                                          • 105

#45
                                                                                          Try to replace the opa 2604 with either 2227 or 2134. If you have an extra dollar, you can use the opa 627 (6 pcs. needed and 3 adapters).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"