X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Large or Small Speaker Setting??

Hello All,

I'm a 80% movie / 19% music person. Which setting is the best for 2 channel sound for:

PARIDIGM STUDIO 100 V2
    PARIDIGM PS-1000
    ROTEL RSP-1068
    Last edited by Burke Strickland; 23 April 2008, 20:30 Wednesday. Reason: Add information to teaser title to indicate subject of thread
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Large I would say. Those are pretty large speakers

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I'd run them in large for 2ch and for mult-channel (movies mainly) I'd set them to small. You seem to get a little bit better clarity with the small setting during movies I think.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Try each one, but there is no inherent reason why "small" is not a good choice--especially if you have flexible xover settings for the sub. Best imaging and best placement for flat bass response are RARELY identical, so decoupling the lower octaves, even from a capable pair of speakers, for two channel audio is not a bad idea.

Comment

• greenhorn
          • Feb 2007

Large or Small

Interesting timing. I was just exploring this aspect of setup last night. Both my video and audio were set to small. My manual (Anthem AVM 20) suggeted setting suggested small for both unless your fronts have very strong bass, set the fronts to small and let the sub handle the bass is the idea. One comment I've read a few times about my speakers (B&W CM7's) was they were a little light bass wise.

The preamp also had a sub setting called "Super" where it copies the bass from the front and also routes it to the sub. Through a couple of reviews\replays of some songs I found that for music I liked the fronts set to large with the sub set to super. It gave the fronts a little larger sound and nice strong bass. Haven't monkey'ed with the speaker setup for video, but I really, really happy with the audio performance on the video side.

Comment

• gc8ej25
            • Nov 2007

I don't think my receiver allows you to set all your speakers to small if you don't have a sub. I tried playing with it last night and I couldn't figure it out.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

This had come up many times before. I HIGHLY recommend everyone except owners of the most exotic speakers (i.e. none of us) use small speaker settings for all speakers, and a good subwoofer(s).
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                This had come up many times before. I HIGHLY recommend everyone except owners of the most exotic speakers (i.e. none of us) use small speaker settings for all speakers, and a good subwoofer(s).
                I HIGHLY agree.

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Chris, I might have to disagree with you on this one.

At least 90% of the time that set up will be the right one but, I'm running my Aerial Acoustics 7Bs set to large with my Velodyne FSR-15 taking over for the last octave or so. I love my Aerials but I don't consider them exotic. They play extremely well down to about 35-38 Hz with (evidently) a fairly steep roll-off on bottom that allowed me to cross over to the sub without an audible gap (or one that showed in SPL readings with white noise) in the presentation.

I guess what I'm saying is that you need to try both, adjusting the cross-over and volume settings until you find out what's best for your individual system and tastes.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Ah, but David, if you're using ANY crossover with speakers, regardless of if it's set at 80Hz or 35Hz, isn't that by definition "small"? Large speaker settings would send all frequencies, full-range, to that speaker.

I agree that some speakers do better than others on lowering the crossover frequency.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• DL86
                      • Sep 2005

Right now with my setup im sending all the bass to the main speakers (studio 100v3) including subwoofer bass and sadly I can say that they do bottom out on extreme bass sequences THX intro scene in star wars is the number 1 culprit for torturing my speakers. I would suggest setting probably a lower x-over like 40 or 50 hz since you have a subwoofer. You wouldn't want your speakers playing lower than 40hz this would introduce more THD, 40hz and above is where most of the punchier bass lies which is ideally the range you would want your speakers playing to minimise distortion.

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                        Ah, but David, if you're using ANY crossover with speakers, regardless of if it's set at 80Hz or 35Hz, isn't that by definition "small"? Large speaker settings would send all frequencies, full-range, to that speaker.
                        My apologies as I wasn't clear. I'm not using a crossover. I'm using the low-pass filter on the FSR-15 to stop the sub's output above the point that the main's are outputting at their lowest frequency.

Originally posted by DL86
                        I would suggest setting probably a lower x-over like 40 or 50 hz since you have a subwoofer. You wouldn't want your speakers playing lower than 40hz this would introduce more THD, 40hz and above is where most of the punchier bass lies which is ideally the range you would want your speakers playing to minimise distortion.
                        Nope. Going to small and setting the cross-over at 40 or thereabouts doesn't work as well sonically as my current set up. These speakers have never "bottomed out" as you put it. The dual-cone woofer set up on the Aerials keeps the bass in the 40-50 Hz range clean and clear.

Comment

• DL86
                          • Sep 2005

Im talking about my setup. My speakers are most certainly bass capable down to 30hz, but trying to get over 100db of the LFE channel on my speakers is not possible and they do "bottom out" by that I mean they make a weird noise. If your speakers can handle this kind of stress well thats a different scenario. Just giving some advice to someone with almost the same speakers as mine albeit little more bass capability.

Comment

• whoaru99
                            • Jul 2004

I use Studio 100v2 with a Servo 15v1 sub in my HT/music system.

For both movies and most music, the speakers are set to small. However, I use the AVM 20 dual configuration. For HT, I have the crossover at 80Hz, for music I have the crossover set much lower to 40Hz

I occasionally run them full range with no sub for music, but not too often.
                            There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• N2siast
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by june
                              Hello All,

I'm a 80% movie / 19% music person. Which setting is the best for 2 channel sound for:

PARIDIGM STUDIO 100 V2
                              PARIDIGM PS-1000
                              ROTEL RSP-1068

What happened to the other 1% :lol:

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Originally posted by N2siast
                                Listening to White Noise?

Watching Oprah?
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• dknightd
                                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by june
                                  Which setting is the best for 2 channel sound for:

PARIDIGM STUDIO 100 V2
                                  PARIDIGM PS-1000
                                  ROTEL RSP-1068
                                  For 2 channel music the 100v2 should be fine run full range (unless you
                                  listen to music with a lot of energy below about 38hz). But you
                                  might like it better with a sub.

For HT - you probably need to use the sub. For 2 channel music, maybe not.
                                  You've really got to try it both ways and see what works best for you in your
                                  room with your music and your ears - there is no right answer.

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by N2siast
                                    Due to statistical aberrations that will show up in estimated ranges, you want to leave a small percentage open to accomodate these aberrations and "other things". Like listening to white noise.... :B

Comment

• june
                                      • Feb 2005

Hello All,

I'm just a person that thinks nothing is 100%.

I'm on vacation starting on Friday. Saturday is my 45th birthday. No wife on Friday from 7-4pm. I can do my my "large / small testing. I'll let yall know the results.
                                      June
                                      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"