X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bmac
    • Aug 2006

Large or Small speaker setup

I've got Paradigm studio 20v.4's all the way around. Should they be set to Large or small in my speaker setup.
    Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I highly recommend "small" setup for all speakers, to all mainstream consumers, including myself. Unless you have $50,000 true full-range speakers, you'll get better performance from "small".
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

As stated by Chris, I and from what I can tell, most others (that can) like to run even large floorstanding speakers in small setting (or with the crossover at about 80hz) and let the subwoofer (if you have one) do the lower bass.

so Yes I agree that your Paradigms are probably best run as small.

It does however make me wonder somewhat what the point is in any of us buying largeish floorstanding speakers if they are going to be run as small speakers ?

I have owned a few different sets of floorstanders and have now gone to bookshelves for this reason.

Another point or question I do not fully know the answer to myself is , that if it sounds best with speakers set to small, (which cannot be done with a straight 2 channel pre/ int amp) are the owners of these 2 chanel systems missing something compared to those that have systems that can run the speakers as small ? I used to think, surely dedicated 2 channel systems were the best, but now I am not so sure.

I will probably cop some flak from the 2 channel only guys, but in my comparisons the ability to be able to tailor the sound by use of crossovers etc can improve the sound somewhat. This of course is not as possible with a standard 2 channel setup.Particularly if there are no tone controls.

And YES I have done considerable comparisons with both a 2 channel preamp and a processor run in 2 channel with crossovers and sub working.

So I do often wonder If straight 2 channel systems are always of definite sound improvement over systems with the ability to tailor the sound by use of crossovers etc.

Hope I have not confused you too much with this reply, and I obviously have my own questions about what setups/ settings are best.

It just doesnt seem right to go out, spend more money for floorstanders (as I have done in the past) and then run them as small speakers? Usually from my experience because they get boomy run in large setting.

Perhaps others can join in and explain a bit for me also.

Im sure the best way for all of us is to try out all the options and go with what you think sounds best, which is basically what I have done and am constantly in the process of doing (many sets of speakers later) LOL.

It would be interesting to know what your own impressions are of the different settings, after some listening time, but whatever the outcome, enjoy the evaluation process , listening to music etc.

goodluck !

Pete

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bleeding ears
        As stated by Chris, I and from what I can tell, most others (that can) like to run even large floorstanding speakers in small setting (or with the crossover at about 80hz) and let the subwoofer (if you have one) do the lower bass.

so Yes I agree that your Paradigms are probably best run as small.

It does however make me wonder somewhat what the point is in any of us buying largeish floorstanding speakers if they are going to be run as small speakers ?

I have owned a few different sets of floorstanders and have now gone to bookshelves for this reason.

Another point or question I do not fully know the answer to myself is , that if it sounds best with speakers set to small, (which cannot be done with a straight 2 channel pre/ int amp) are the owners of these 2 chanel systems missing something compared to those that have systems that can run the speakers as small ? I used to think, surely dedicated 2 channel systems were the best, but now I am not so sure.

I will probably cop some flak from the 2 channel only guys, but in my comparisons the ability to be able to tailor the sound by use of crossovers etc can improve the sound somewhat. This of course is not as possible with a standard 2 channel setup.Particularly if there are no tone controls.

And YES I have done considerable comparisons with both a 2 channel preamp and a processor run in 2 channel with crossovers and sub working.

So I do often wonder If straight 2 channel systems are always of definite sound improvement over systems with the ability to tailor the sound by use of crossovers etc.

Hope I have not confused you too much with this reply, and I obviously have my own questions about what setups/ settings are best.

It just doesnt seem right to go out, spend more money for floorstanders (as I have done in the past) and then run them as small speakers? Usually from my experience because they get boomy run in large setting.

Perhaps others can join in and explain a bit for me also.

Im sure the best way for all of us is to try out all the options and go with what you think sounds best, which is basically what I have done and am constantly in the process of doing (many sets of speakers later) LOL.

It would be interesting to know what your own impressions are of the different settings, after some listening time, but whatever the outcome, enjoy the evaluation process , listening to music etc.

goodluck !

Pete
        I agree with this but,

In many cases the floor standing models have a clearer more spacious sound then there bookshelf models. I'll give a few examples.

I owned the Polk Lsi series speakers. I ran them with B&K. I had the Lsi15 floor standing speakers and a Pair of Lsi9 bookself speakers. While the Lsi9's where a amazing speaker, compared to the Lsi15's floor, they didn't have the last word in separation and detail. Both speakers where set to small at 60hz.

I have tried this again with my Dynaudio speakers. I have the Audience 82 floors and 42's bookshelf. Same results, at 60hz small, the 82's trashed the 42's. It wasn't even close. The ability to separate and give clarity was a huge difference. I wanted to go further with the 42w which mount on the wall and not have anything on the floor. I went as far as mounting the 42w's on the wall and calibrated. Now for theater use the difference was small and much closer. But with 2 channel music I found it unexceptable. My Audience 82's are set to 60hz and I really like the 2 channel performance with my Dynaudio sub500 for 2 channel and multichannel music.

I'm sure maybe other speaker companies have closer floor to bookshelf performance but in my in home experience , I perfer the floor standing speakers.

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

Dmantis, after a quick look at the Dynaudio website, I think the 42's you refer to are actually called satellites, if yours are the same ?

Am I correct ?

If so, whilst satellites can do an amazing job for their size, bookshelf speakers, particularly ones around 39cm or 44cm high seem to produce amazingly deep yet tight bass for their size, eg B&W 705, JM Focals, etc.

No doubt the larger speakers produce more bass however from my experiences they can also muddy the sound especially when run as large or with no crossover operating.

For the cost I am not convinced that true larger bookshelf speakers give up much to larger floorstanding speakers.

I am not saying bookshelf speakers are always better, eg when watching movies or dvds with lots of explosions etc, but some bookshelves are capable of amazing performance for their size and cost which is usually considerably less than the cost of floorstander, and there is no or much less boom.

Mind you I have not given up on floorstanders totally, they just have to be capable of tight bass without the boom, clarity, seperation and perform very well for the extra cost.

Pete

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

In earlier times in my home theater I used floor standing speakers in the front and with a smallish subwoofer and set everything at small. But I do very little, to no music listening in my theater. One day I listened to a Boston Acoustics satellite system and was blow away by how amazingly great these little things behaved with movies. So I moved my floorstanding speakers to another room where I listen to music only and set up the theater with the Boston Acoustics system. I later replaced the BA sub with two larger Energy subs and I have never looked back. Now I may have done things differently if I listened to a lot of two channel music in my theater, but the satellites have been nothing short of fantastic for movies.
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"